Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Can someone please explain why Ice Storm was nerfed?

by ikilledabug

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

@MaireDevylin wrote:

I figure Storm Javelins are probably in some more nerfs, hidden or otherwise. Whenever there's a storm in a group I, in my Ranger, have to work really hard sometimes to kill anything since they just AOE everything into oblivion before I can get to it. If there are two Storms in a group, forget it, I may as well just side on the sidelines and cheer them on. They are floating nuclear bomb launchers as far as I can tell.

While this is true on lower difficulties, on higher difficulties AOE wont do much damage really, a good ranger's single target DPS will easily outperform whatever the Storm has.

Message 11 of 17 (74 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Psykofunk wrote:

So this is one of your delightful stealth nerfs that you decided not to include in the patch notes.  I don't know if you thought no one would notice but obviously we did.  Ice Storm was nerfed to do about 25% less damage.  Why?  It was already one of the weaker abilities, barely doing roughly 5-10% of an enemies hp bar at GM1.  It's MW variant, Winter's Wrath, would never trigger its proc of refilling charges when killing from above because you could never kill anything with it unless you specifically held off attacking and tried to kill-steal from the rest of your squad.  So why in the world would you nerf it?

it is a CC skill with minor dmg, it was honestly WAY to strong dmg wise I was killing groups one one to two pulses. a storm is a combo jav, you are ment to combo your way through the enemies not just hold a button and done.

Message 12 of 17 (74 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@MagikarpsGhost wrote:

it is a CC skill with minor dmg, it was honestly WAY to strong dmg wise I was killing groups one one to two pulses. a storm is a combo jav, you are ment to combo your way through the enemies not just hold a button and done.

On which difficulty? Even on Hard you won’t kill any groups with just one or two pulses. Easy and Normal, yes, I would imagine Storms are a bit OP, but that’s mostly because on Easy and Normal everything dies from a stiff wind anway, and Storms simply have the advantage in range and positioning. Easy and Normal really seem to be balanced for solo play, in all honesty.

Also, does the MW proc require a kill specifically with that ability? Because I would assume it is meant to proc off of detonating the primer with something else (Burning Orb MW equivalent or whatever).

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 13 of 17 (67 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@MagikarpsGhost wrote:

No you weren't.  Not an appropriate difficulty level.

Message 14 of 17 (53 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@cake404 wrote:

Also, does the MW proc require a kill specifically with that ability? Because I would assume it is meant to proc off of detonating the primer with something else (Burning Orb MW equivalent or whatever).

It does require a kill with Ice Storm itself.  I tested it extensively because at first I thought it was simply broken.  If it was any kill it would be fine.  As it is it is simply a wasted masterwork effect.  On GM1 difficulty I have never seen it proc outside of solo, very careful, testing.

Message 15 of 17 (51 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

The main problem with this nerf is shielded enemies. On higher difficulties you won't be able to chew through their shields with the charges you have, which makes it very awkward to use.

Honestly this nerf is simply pointless and I'm flabberghasted BW wastes time on stupid things like this instead of fixing the major issues. Enemies are too spongy already, no one wants to waste 1 hour on a run just to get a duplicate MW with +1% to pinkie finger length inscription.

Message 16 of 17 (41 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

It has already been acknowledged that this is a bug that is going to be fixed today (March 12th):

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Missing-notes-from-1-0-3-update/td-p/7668503

Message 17 of 17 (37 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help