Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Can someone please explain why Ice Storm was nerfed?

by Zerxis

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can someone please explain why Ice Storm was nerfed?

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

So this is one of your delightful stealth nerfs that you decided not to include in the patch notes.  I don't know if you thought no one would notice but obviously we did.  Ice Storm was nerfed to do about 25% less damage.  Why?  It was already one of the weaker abilities, barely doing roughly 5-10% of an enemies hp bar at GM1.  It's MW variant, Winter's Wrath, would never trigger its proc of refilling charges when killing from above because you could never kill anything with it unless you specifically held off attacking and tried to kill-steal from the rest of your squad.  So why in the world would you nerf it?

Message 1 of 17 (433 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★ Novice

@GuruChaz wrote:

@Psykofunk wrote:

So this is one of your delightful stealth nerfs that you decided not to include in the patch notes.  I don't know if you thought no one would notice but obviously we did.  Ice Storm was nerfed to do about 25% less damage.  Why?  It was already one of the weaker abilities, barely doing roughly 5-10% of an enemies hp bar at GM1.  It's MW variant, Winter's Wrath, would never trigger its proc of refilling charges when killing from above because you could never kill anything with it unless you specifically held off attacking and tried to kill-steal from the rest of your squad.  So why in the world would you nerf it?

Because it's mainly crowd control than a damage spell.   People playing Storm would go control a crowd of enemies and end up killing them all before other team members can even shoot them.  It wasn't fun for the rest of the group...which is why so many wanted Storm nerfed.   It was ruining gameplay for the others.   These missions are a team effort, not a one person solo event.

No offense but this is a garbage reasoning.  I main Storm and this has simply never been my experience across any of the many, many sessions I've played. Further, even if Storms were killing the group before the rest of the squad got there, they weren't doing it with Ice Storm.  It simply doesn't do enough damage and also isn't a detonator.  You CC/prime with Ice Storm and then detonate/kill with Burning Orb.  Reducing the damage of Ice Storm isn't going to accomplish anything in regards to slowing down kills.

Also, there are more than enough mobs to kill that this isn't even a real issue and I think you're just grasping at straws.

Thirdly, they responded on Reddit and said the ability nerfs are a bug.  I honestly don't understand how you make a bug like that, someone had to go and change the value for some reason, but whatever.  

Fourthly, I still think the proc for Winter's Wrath should be changed.  Even at the original value it does little damage and is a CC ability, so having a kill proc is a bit out of place.  Proccing on freezing a certain number of enemies makes a lot more sense.

View in thread

Message 8 of 17 (268 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Guide

I suspect this is intended to be used as a CC more than a DPS thing to be honest Standard smile

Message 2 of 17 (397 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I would think so, and I would have no problem with that, but then it needs a different proc.  Having a proc on kills for a low damage CC makes no sense.  It needs something like "Freezing 3 or more enemies at once refills charges"

Message 3 of 17 (387 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

Definitely a cc ability but I hear ya on stealth nerfs. If it did no damage i’d still use it to set up my dets. Kinda like firewall on Colossus...

Message 4 of 17 (367 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

There's a rumor going around (not started by me, was on reddit already) that these so-called "stealth" nerfs are actually part of the 1.0.4 patch that leaked in with the 1.0.3--this makes a lot of sense if you follow Twitter and read the dev's responses to recent questions about the patch.  I think they boo-booed.  The patch notes for their next patch would have included the nerfing and also reasons why.  They might have reasons we can't think of.  Have to give them an opportunity to offer their explanations.  My thinking is that in a few weeks most of this stuff should be fine.  Chad Robertson's recent dialogue to the community suggests that they are going to take more time testing with the following patches... I would suspect highly that their next patch will have the desired results.  Whatever's going on over at BioWare I think they're slowing figuring it out.  But they have to start adding graphics and vinyls which they are, soon, according to the roadmap and also add higher than Epic Support Gear (which seems to be part of 1.0.4 but leaked in, now, to some degree along with new Universal Components).

They'll figure out the loot and make Legendary stuff seem more Legendary.  I do want to see Anthem in a good state.  Still plays like crap on PS4.  The Quickplay is hilarious!  High five
Anthem™bulletw1st_3.jpgAnthem™bulletw1st_13.jpgSAD!  Fix please!  Fingers crossed

Message 5 of 17 (349 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@Psykofunk wrote:

Because it's mainly crowd control than a damage spell.   People playing Storm would go control a crowd of enemies and end up killing them all before other team members can even shoot them.  It wasn't fun for the rest of the group...which is why so many wanted Storm nerfed.   It was ruining gameplay for the others.   These missions are a team effort, not a one person solo event.

Message 6 of 17 (302 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

They messed it up trying to fix mark of ruin. I had a legendary Amulet of Winter. After patch it was gone...taken from me..and replaced with a useless Legendary Mark of Ruin.You'll notice the icons are messed up as well. Ruin icons on Winter amulets and visa versa. mark of Ruin no longer has fire damage either.

Message 7 of 17 (274 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@GuruChaz wrote:

@Psykofunk wrote:

No offense but this is a garbage reasoning.  I main Storm and this has simply never been my experience across any of the many, many sessions I've played. Further, even if Storms were killing the group before the rest of the squad got there, they weren't doing it with Ice Storm.  It simply doesn't do enough damage and also isn't a detonator.  You CC/prime with Ice Storm and then detonate/kill with Burning Orb.  Reducing the damage of Ice Storm isn't going to accomplish anything in regards to slowing down kills.

Also, there are more than enough mobs to kill that this isn't even a real issue and I think you're just grasping at straws.

Thirdly, they responded on Reddit and said the ability nerfs are a bug.  I honestly don't understand how you make a bug like that, someone had to go and change the value for some reason, but whatever.  

Fourthly, I still think the proc for Winter's Wrath should be changed.  Even at the original value it does little damage and is a CC ability, so having a kill proc is a bit out of place.  Proccing on freezing a certain number of enemies makes a lot more sense.

Message 8 of 17 (269 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I figure Storm Javelins are probably in some more nerfs, hidden or otherwise. Whenever there's a storm in a group I, in my Ranger, have to work really hard sometimes to kill anything since they just AOE everything into oblivion before I can get to it. If there are two Storms in a group, forget it, I may as well just side on the sidelines and cheer them on. They are floating nuclear bomb launchers as far as I can tell.

Message 9 of 17 (254 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@MaireDevylin wrote:

I figure Storm Javelins are probably in some more nerfs, hidden or otherwise. Whenever there's a storm in a group I, in my Ranger, have to work really hard sometimes to kill anything since they just AOE everything into oblivion before I can get to it. If there are two Storms in a group, forget it, I may as well just side on the sidelines and cheer them on. They are floating nuclear bomb launchers as far as I can tell.

Storm's don't need nerfs, Rangers need buffs.  They've already admitted that Rangers are underperforming.  Collosi and Interceptors have zero trouble keeping up with me.  It would also help if the difficulties were balanced since as it is everyone is just in GM1 regardless of how strong they are.  I have full MW but not optimal rolls and I do not kill groups with a single combo.  If the power progression was functioning properly I imagine you'd see a lot more even results with how quickly things die.

Message 10 of 17 (248 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help