Cache being saved to documents, which gets synced by Onedrive

by MogZero

Original Post

Cache being saved to documents, which gets synced by Onedrive

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Battlefield seems to save settings and cache files to userfolder\Documents\Battlefield 2042, which is contrary to all Microsoft Guidelines. These should instead be stored in userfolder\AppData.

This has a particular effect that the Documents folder is typically synced with the cloud by OneDrive so while the game is running, Onedrive is constantly syncing the files that are being updated in the cache folder. This will have a negative effect on CPU, memory and network usage and is why the AppData folder is excluded from syncing. I'm sure I'm not alone in that I have my documents folder on a slower drive as it shouldn't be used for files that require fast access whereas the AppData folder is on my super-fast SSD resulting in another performance hit from the wrong location being used. It also means that my documents folder, which is where you are meant to store documents (hence the name) and thus my folder is cluttered by useless Battlefield folders that I will never want to open.

Can this folder be moved to the proper location please?

Message 1 of 119 (12,989 Views)

Re: Cache being saved to documents, which gets synced by Onedrive

★ Novice
@MogZero you can de-activate synching a particular folder in OneDrive. Right click on the icon in your task bar then Settings > Account > Choose Folders.

I still fully agree this should be stored in AppData but in meantime, this will solve network & cpu usage in background as well as not take up any precious space in cloud storage
Message 2 of 119 (12,879 Views)

★★★ Novice
@G0R1LL4 But this deletes the offline folder and the online version will stay.
Message 3 of 119 (12,859 Views)

★★ Novice

Yea this is a major problem and needs to be addressed.  This cache data should not be stored in the Documents folder.

Message 4 of 119 (12,801 Views)

★ Novice
@FRYYYYYY No, just create a copy in desktop. Then delete online folder and the one in documents. then copy back the copy you had in desktop. It should already be "disabled" by default if not, you can unselect it in settings again before it uploads to the cloud
Message 5 of 119 (12,764 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I also noticed this myself. My cache was rather large and also synchronising whilst playing. Some games use the Documents folder to store things like user configurations, save files etc which makes sense. However saving a cache into this folder is a huge waste of system resources. Cache files should be saved into the AppData folder as suggested which is the folder's intended use.

Deleting and creating the folder again is not a viable workaround. You can follow the steps in the below link but again it is not an ideal workaround. This problem will be affecting every user with automatic onedrive backup.

https://superuser.com/questions/1559562/exclude-specific-sub-folders-from-the-onedrive-important-pc-...

Message 6 of 119 (12,689 Views)

Incorrect cache folder location - main my documents folder - onedrive upload

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: Battlefield 2042
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number 3080ti
Enter RAM memory size in GB 32gb
Are you using any software with an overlay? No
Which part of the game is the issue happening in? Game Menu
In which game menu were you when the bug occurred? windows folder
Please select your region North America
On which server did this happen?
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
Summarize your bug The "cache" folder is located in the main "my documents" folder. Therefore, onedrive automatically tries to upload the entire folder. Please re-path this to a more appropriate location such as the "AppData" folder.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? The BF2042 "cache" folder is located in the main "my documents" folder. Therefore, onedrive automatically tries to upload the entire folder. Please re-path this to a more appropriate location such as the "AppData" folder.
What happens when the bug occurs? The BF2042 "cache" folder is located in the main "my documents" folder. Therefore, onedrive automatically tries to upload the entire folder. Please re-path this to a more appropriate location such as the "AppData" folder.
What should be happening instead? Proper folder structure

The "cache" folder is located in the main "my documents" folder. Therefore, onedrive automatically tries to upload the entire folder. Please re-path this to a more appropriate location such as the "AppData" folder.

We do not need to upload the shaders, crash reports, cache changes, etc to onedrive.

Message 7 of 119 (11,302 Views)

Re: Incorrect cache folder location - main my documents folder - onedrive upload

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Same thing here, but with Google Drive. Noticed I have nearly 800mb in the My Documents\Battlefield 2042\cache folder.

Message 8 of 119 (11,248 Views)

Re: Incorrect cache folder location - main my documents folder - onedrive upload

★★★ Newbie
@TurkishTerror101 Please fix this, it's very annoying
Message 9 of 119 (11,165 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA DICE Team

As far I am aware this is working as intended. @TurkishTerror101

Moving post to General discussions as feedback.

/Atic

Message 10 of 119 (11,137 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help