Bronze players in Plat lobbies are intentional

by Cheese9Man

Original Post

Bronze players in Plat lobbies are intentional

★★★★★ Expert

This comes from RSPN_Exgeniar (Respawn dev) in reddit where he said that there are cases when bronze players can show up in bronze lobbies. This happens when a bronze player is in a pre-made squad with a high Gold rank player (Gold I) being put into low Plat lobbies. The dev said that the pre-made bronze squad can join a plat lobby but never a diamond lobby but people are still reporting that there are bronze players in diamond+. This might be the visual glitch or the MM being broken.

The dev also confirmed what I've been saying in this forum for a long time in every SBMM discussion that short queue times is the #1 priority of matchmaking. While it's good that you can hop on to the next game in less than a minute, it sacrifices quality MM.

Dev statement on Bronze players in Plat+ lobbies

"Just going to correct Bob here.

Bronze player COULD get matched with a platinum player in some intended edge cases. However, Bronze player should NEVER be matched with a Diamond+ player.

We investigated this, and in all the cases we checked, it is a Gold Player in a premade with a Bronze player that gets placed into a Gold + Plat lobby.

This is intended BECAUSE:

Gold players can duo queue with bronze and silver players. When you are in a premade, you play at the highest player's tier. In this case; The Gold Lobby.

Sometimes when queue time is sufficiently high, lobbies starts merging to kick off games. This is a compromise in the design because we don't want these players to wait forever. So sometimes during off-peak hours, this starts happening. This is fully intended.

With that said, this feels like a bug, and I'll look into adjusting this specific edge case in the future"

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/uf1927/to_everyone_experiencing_ranked_matchmaking_iss...

Message 1 of 3 (3,102 Views)

Re: Bronze players in Plat lobbies are intentional

Champion
@Cheese9Man I played a match with two randoms the other day, being in Bronze I at the time, myself. We got taken out fairly early, but I managed to get 1 kill with the moz before I went down. Post game report showed that I killed a Diamond player, and awarded me RP based on this. I still can't figure out how a Diamond player was in my Bronze lobby. Plat with a Gold teammate, I could understand. Not sure how that happened, Lol

CCP Champion Banner - Blue.png

"Play me online? Well, you know that I'll beat you.
If I ever meet you, I'll control-alt-delete you!"
Message 2 of 3 (3,051 Views)

Re: Bronze players in Plat lobbies are intentional

Champion
@Cheese9Man One thing to clarify tho with regard to what you say about speed of MM being priority- In the specific example the queue time is likely minutes like you see with predator lobbies. It isnt the few seconds it takes for most pubs. Yes, speed of MM is a priority in this case it is more of a necessity because no games can be found.
Message 3 of 3 (3,046 Views)