Re: Bring valid arguments to the table.

by DoYaSeeMe

Original Post

★★★ Expert
@TheTrafficKing Interesting. In season 5, I had better damage average(~356), a higher win ratio(6.5-6.6%) and more top 5s than you although I've only played like 1.2-1.3k games, but all this at a much lower k/d ratio (somewhere around 0.8). Many of the no damage/ quick deaths in S5 happened with diamond and above teammates that forced me into battles empty handed. Is that SBMM? don't think so...
Message 101 of 112 (390 Views)

Champion
@TheTrafficKing My kd is slightly up this season but hovering in the range it has since season 4- currently .95.

I feel I've improved but it doesnt show in KD. One thing I've noticed is I'm not nearly as thirsty as people who care about their KD. My knocks to deaths and damage show improvement. Knocks to deaths is above 1.4 now. Season 4 was like 1.2, season 5 1.3. I need to start thirsting more. Damage is up from about 300 to 365.

Win rate season 4 was 10.5%. Season 5 was 9.5% but I attribute this to more ranked play. Season 6 I think I am at 12%. Win rate goes up a lot if you can find someone to play with.
Message 102 of 112 (381 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@DoYaSeeMe wrote:

Many of the no damage/ quick deaths in S5 happened with diamond and above teammates that forced me into battles empty handed. Is that SBMM? don't think so...

Let me break down my post and the data I'm referring to. 

Season 5: 

Total Games: 1.96k

Total Wins: 97 (4.95%)

Total Top 5s: 426  (21.7%)

DPG: 348.14

Highest: 2,888

Total Kills: 2,316

Deaths: 1,827

KDR: 1.26

Highest Kills: 14

Knockdowns: 2,820 (Conversion to kill rate: 80%)

Season 6: 

Total Games: 368

Total Wins: 12 (3.26%)

Total Top 5s: 97 (26.3%)

DPG: 356.40

Highest: 1,666

Total Kills: 384

Deaths: 347

KDR: 1.10

Highest Kills: 7

Knockdowns:484 (Conversion to kill rate: 79.3%)

So let's break this down by asking some basic questions, obvious questions first:

1. Why is the win rate percentage drastically lower?  Because the opponents are harder.  And to disprove any comments about "You just drop hot too much", look at the top 5 percentage; it's significantly higher than last season.  Why? Because I'm not playing hot drops.  I play to have kills and wins.  I don't drop at Cap City or Sorting factory often.  I know for damn near certain that a lot more of those top 5s were second place losses to much better teams.  Again, why? Because typically speaking only the best teams make the top 5 and if I'm losing and getting second place a lot more, it's because the quality of teams are so much better than what I'd normally face. 
  2. Damage Per Game...why is it higher than last season but KDR is less?  Because I'm being more careful and measured but unable to actually wipe squads.  I'm relying more on poke battles to boost evo and draw out the third parties rather than rushing hard for every encounter.  I'm getting more damage as a result, but can't wipe squads because their survivability is so much higher when they are better teams.  Let's face it, bots don't know how to survive.  That's what makes them bots.  They have movement skills, no positioning skills, no aim skills, and no idea of when to fight versus when to run and heal.  Pro players or at least better players do.  So the reason my KDR is down is because the quality of opponents I'm facing is so much higher.  I have to thirst more to guarantee kills than I used to.
  3. Highest kills and Highest damage: Both are half or nearly half of what my best was last season.  And I know I haven't had many games in the thousand damage range this season.  I've had a lot of 500-800 damage games which is why my average is higher than last season.   But I kid you not, most of the time I can't get more than 2 kills per game.  I have only had one 7 kill game this season.  ONE!  I used to get 7-10 pretty much on a nightly basis but ever since season 6 that stopped completely.  I'm really struggling to remember a six kill game at this point.  I'm pretty sure my next highest game was 5 which is just absolutely bonkers to me because that used to be super common.  Now it's hard for me to remember.  WTF?

I'm open to other theories as to why my stats are so different but it's super clear to me as to why.  Especially when there are intangibles that isn't represented in the data; such as how I am getting shredded from long range a lot more often and have to spend half the fight healing.  You can typically feel and know when a player is better even if you happen to get the better of him.  That's way more common for me this season than last.  I felt very much in control last season and now I feel like I'm on my heels a lot of the time. 

Message 103 of 112 (363 Views)

Champion
@TheTrafficKing I actually dont think your win rate is a huge change personally. You have 1000 less games so lots of time for that to balance.

And while your top 5 is up slightly your damage is about the same. The biggest change in this season is the armor. Perhaps you are entering too many fights with blue? I know myself if I get into a fight with someone in red and I'm blue I'm likely going to lose. I am much more careful engaging fights if I'm not purple now. This is why my damage per game is up 20% from last season. I tend to carry a poke gun until purple.
Message 104 of 112 (354 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So your opinion is that SBMM isn't Butt Effed?

Message 105 of 112 (338 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

And you're glossing over the rest of the points I mentioned. 

Yes 3% is a huge difference. I've never had less than 4% even when I was getting carried in season 0. My lifetime is in the low 4s for reference. And 3% is where its settled this season. I had less than 2% after 200 games.  I actually had to go to ranked to bring it up to 3% by stomping bots in bronze and silver. 9 of those 12 wins are from ranked. Thats how poor SbMM has been. 

Message 106 of 112 (333 Views)

★★★ Expert
@TheTrafficKing I'd say that the differences in stats is just proof that Respawn's goal to shake the meta every new season / ltm works. It would be interesting to come back at after the season ends and share the stats again, my guess is that they'll be higher / closer to S5 values.
Message 107 of 112 (307 Views)

Champion
@TheTrafficKing No I am not saying sbmm doesnt need work. I actually have said many times it does. You asked for another reason so I gave you one. I also gave examples where my stats are slightly up compared to normal.

The armor change is a huge one. As is the changes to guns. They took the r99 and buffed pretty much all of them so you no longer have a huge advantage if you find the one meta gun.

I know someone who's average kd in season 5 was 1.2. He is now 1.3 and he is winning more. How do you explain that?

Maybe try some different tactics or other guns?
Message 108 of 112 (297 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Im really enjoying S6 so far.

It's nice that the R99 is gone.. I've seen so much more variation in what people are using on a game to game basis.

Its not the same double R-99 or R-99/PK combo that we always used to see. 

The changes to the triple take were great, and the volt is nice but not even close to as OP as the R99 was in it's prime.

Message 109 of 112 (283 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@hayhor wrote:
@TheTrafficKingNo I am not saying sbmm doesnt need work. I actually have said many times it does. You asked for another reason so I gave you one. I also gave examples where my stats are slightly up compared to normal.

The armor change is a huge one. As is the changes to guns. They took the r99 and buffed pretty much all of them so you no longer have a huge advantage if you find the one meta gun.

I know someone who's average kd in season 5 was 1.2. He is now 1.3 and he is winning more. How do you explain that?

Maybe try some different tactics or other guns?

I stick with the meta and do use different guns. The only guns I do not prefer to use are the p2020 and Mozambique. And perhaps the wingman (no regs happen too much)  I can and do use all other weapons with regularity. 

As to your friend. Its quite possible he has just got drastically better. I'm perhaps slightly better than last season but I did so drastically better in season 5 compared to 4 that the algorithm seems to have misunderstood my skill level. 

Message 110 of 112 (276 Views)