Re: Boss Battles, Please!

by spIash_damage

Original Post

Boss Battles, Please!

Champion (Retired)

I really hope to see them in BfN, especially with Ops lacking in so many areas...

@EA_David any word on BfN and Community Portal Boss Hunts?

Message 1 of 9 (622 Views)

★★ Guide
@spIash_damage I just hope they make the individual objectives more obvious if they do boss hunts. I typically didn't understand what they wanted me to do for the first 5 attempts, and by that point I'd just go back to turf takeover. This was made so much worse playing with randoms who were having the same problem. I'd start to understand all the objectives, but be stuck with a squad who just kept shooting the currently invulnerable boss. Players need more time to acclimate to the objectives before insta-death of the whole team too.

They could either stand to be made more intuitive or to having more obvious guidance.
Message 2 of 9 (607 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

If Boss Battles are in this game, we need a short mini video that can be viewed at the Community Portal (optional) before entering the portal that shows how to complete the hunt/damage the boss.

Additionally, we need the ability to set our difficulty level and if a teammate drops out after the boss appears, another teammate or AI should take their place.

EDIT: fixed sentence

Message 3 of 9 (602 Views)

★★ Guide
@spIash_damage All good ideas. I'd prefer something more natural to gameplay than a video however.

Maybe amp up the difficulty a little slower. Introduce objectives without the consequence of whole team death the first time, then introduce whole team injury, finally build up to whole team death.
Message 4 of 9 (599 Views)

★★ Guide
@spIash_damage Also, I'm totally on board with being able to preset difficulty. I don't know how many times I'd try for something easy and someone would beat me to the punch with hard mode. I just wanted to be able to figure out how to win before tackling hard mode.
Message 5 of 9 (592 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@newbebop wrote:
@spIash_damageAll good ideas. I'd prefer something more natural to gameplay than a video however.

Maybe amp up the difficulty a little slower. Introduce objectives without the consequence of whole team death the first time, then introduce whole team injury, finally build up to whole team death.

Do you know how many times I played Brothers Gnomus and laughed myself off the server?!

I’d get two or three of the symbols to match and unknowing teammates would go behind me changing them because they didn’t know the rule...

Or all other Boss Hunts, people would attack the boss before he became vulnerable.

LoL!  Good times.

Message 6 of 9 (569 Views)

★★ Guide
@spIash_damage Same problem with Brothers Gnomus. It was sooo frustrating. Devs obviously wanted full squads of friends with chat on, but it made that mode so frustrating if you were playing with randoms.

Good times
#NotGoodTimes
Message 7 of 9 (562 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I didn't mind boss hunts but I won't miss them if they don't come back either, especially if they improve Ops. Getting craazzyy difficulty on all 4 of them was maddening, although Brothers Gnomus was pretty easy to get through. The two of us that played consistently even got one of our friends that rarely played to join us as we could use Discord to communicate, and he hated the Yeti King so much he never did a boss hunt again, even with 3 of us all directly communicating.

If they do add them, they need communicate the parameters much better. I had to resort to videos for parts of the hunt that weren't making sense at first and I've raided in MMOs, with all their arbitrary boss fight mechanics for years. That communication extends to other things as well, they need to give more info on character abilities, and subtle things like being able to double jump, and upgrades too.

I'm all for more community events/challenges though.

Message 8 of 9 (552 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@Iron_Guard8 I met about half my friends list in Boss Hunts and I've never seen ONE of those people in multiplayer.  I KNOW a huge part of our community is PvE.

Take away Boss Hunts, and you eliminate ~half of our PvE crowd.  I am one of the PvP players that love Boss Hunts and am very meh about Ops.  I played BfN Ops yesterday and I'll just say it's not for me.

Message 9 of 9 (524 Views)