Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

BioWare - For my sanity, please sell Legendaries in the in-game store

by nk125

Original Post

Highlighted

Re: BioWare - For my sanity, please sell Legendaries in the in-game store

★★ Guide

@WPScorpionWind wrote:

You're asking EA the biggest monetizer of games to make one of the few games in years that wasn't a giant cash grab, exactly that...

EA is miles from the biggest. for one thing they dont even have the history that a lot of Asian mmo's have, but aside from that activision and valve both do FAR more monetization. I only mention this because nobody ever calls valve on their b/s, and they do tons of it.

Message 31 of 39 (128 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

@TROUBLEWITHTOILUmmm... I will give Activison close second, but EA is the one who's monetized FIFA, P2W bombed Star Wars Battlefront, created the mess called BFV, and has been brought up on more lawsuits than any other game company many of which are connected to loot boxes and other ways of monetizing the gaming industry. They are the linchpin for the Loot box conflict that has been going for years now. They have been in trouble in multiple countries including the US, when they were taken to court  by several state senators including Hawaii, Washington, and Oregon, who wanted loot boxes deemed online gambling, and most recently by Belgium who took them to court over loot boxes remaining in FIFA and SWBFll even though they were told directly and flat out that the loot boxes were not allowed as they were deemed online gambling in Belgium. They have also been the ones to directly insult their fan base and say "we don't know what we want", and how "if we don't like their games then don't buy them", both of which bit them in the butt, because they cared more about their bottom line profits than they do on whether something is ethical much less legal, and how far they can cross the line before getting nailed for it and hopping back over said line.

Message 32 of 39 (113 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice
That would make Anthem play to win which would probably kill the game for sure.

That being said, I have found any game that relies totally on RNG for every aspect of the gear grind to eventually lose their player base. RNG, alone, doesn't reflect time or effort put into a game...only luck.

However, when RNG is coupled or complimented with specific paths toward gearing, it can effectively bridge the gap. For example: weekly challenges reward a random legendary item. You complete the challenge, and you are guaranteed a legendary. You just don't know what that legendary will be. Another example is you get a random legendary component for completing three strongholds a day. After all, we get MW components for completing legendary contracts...why not have a pathway for collecting legendary components?

These are just examples of where a pathway could be built to acquiring legendary items while still keeping some elements of RNG. Some RNG is great but too much reliance of player luck can really turn a player off to the game.
Message 33 of 39 (111 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

@WPScorpionWind wrote:

@TROUBLEWITHTOILUmmm... I will give Activison close second, but EA is the one who's monetized FIFA, P2W bombed Star Wars Battlefront, created the mess called BFV, and has been brought up on more lawsuits than any other game company many of which are connected to loot boxes and other ways of monetizing the gaming industry. They are the linchpin for the Loot box conflict that has been going for years now. They have been in trouble in multiple countries including the US, when they were taken to court  by several state senators including Hawaii, Washington, and Oregon, who wanted loot boxes deemed online gambling, and most recently by Belgium who took them to court over loot boxes remaining in FIFA and SWBFll even though they were told directly and flat out that the loot boxes were not allowed as they were deemed online gambling in Belgium. They have also been the ones to directly insult their fan base and say "we don't know what we want", and how "if we don't like their games then don't buy them", both of which bit them in the butt, because they cared more about their bottom line profits than they do on whether something is ethical much less legal, and how far they can cross the line before getting nailed for it and hopping back over said line.

youre grossly misinformed. for one thing how do you know FIFA themselves didn't push for that monetization.. or Disney for that matter? yet diablo 3 had an in-game RMT auction house where I sold 2 (pretty much trash) items its first day up for 120$. I made thousands off steam trading or selling items for tf2, cs:go, and DOTA2 aswell not even counting completely worthless cards and emotes that I have sold for as much as 20$ a pop (all of which valve gets a cut of.. just like they take 30+% of every game they sell).. but EA is the devil? look at old Asian mmos like MU, conquer, allods, (this list could go on for a mile) etc. but EA is THE worst? considering steam sells thousands of games of many types in multiple countries it would only make sense that they would have the most law suits by the way. NOT EA! 

I dont know why kids pretend EA started any of this, they just did what everyone else was doing. im guessing it has to do with ignorant youtubers trying to rack up views. for example loot boxes go back to gatchaka (sp?) in japan, THAT is where it was established to be gambling and the first laws were passed to protect kiddies from it. asif fortnite doesn't have loot boxes.. asif perfect world didn't build an empire on microtransaction games.. what, nexxon? naaw we wont even talk about them. tencent? just pretend they dont exist.

::ghasp:: they did what? they were HONEST? with their customers!? those insufferable jerks!  next they'll be assuming we all own cell phones or refusing to sell their games on steam because steam takes that 30+% cut!

it seems to me you've been brainwashed by youtube honestly, because there are FAR worse publishers on this planet than EA. even that "poll" where they were "voted" worst company in the world.. that was a prank. I dont know if I can say the name of the site on these forums but they have done several pranks that involve stupid things like getting musicians to play small towns in Alaska or getting books written by dictators on must read lists.

Message 34 of 39 (103 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Guide
I could see them coming out for coin, but they will never be allowed for shards
Message 35 of 39 (101 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice

This is getting ridiculous. I wonder if the devs could check the telemetry what is going because I get the feeling people or just blatantly lying now to forward and increase the droprate more.

Even without any luck they drop. With one piece of luck gear they drop more. The droprate is perfectly fine. If the drop is meaningful is to be debated but they drop. I get the feeling there is also some bad luck protection code in there.

Even * mobs drop legendaries.

Message 36 of 39 (98 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

@TROUBLEWITHTOILOK I'm not sure whether to laugh or role my eyes, I now I can't take that seriously. As far as that FIFA and Disney is concerned I don't know what you have going through your head but the only thing Disney had to do with SWBFll was that EA paid them for the right to use their name and content in game. They weren't partners, cosigners, or anything like that. They don't get/have any influence over how the game was built, or how things were run.

As for the whole selling trading stuff between players, that's microtransactions,. The very fact that it's between players and not something sold to the player makes it not microtransactions. Unless it is sold by the company to the player, for real money, for some sort of in game content, it is not part of the microtransaction ordeal that has been around.

I said they were the linchpin I didn't say they started it. And FYI selling a game or taking a cut of a sale on their system is also not part of the microtransactions. Everything might have monetary value, but that doesn't make it part of the monetization issue that I'm talking about. I didn't say that they started loot boxes or that they started the online gambling issues. I said they were the linchpin, as they have been the leading AAA corporation doing the most amount of pushing for it over the last 5 to 10 years. Reality is in terms of game microtransactions, the origins of them are actually really known. They span back all the way to the days of arcades, somewhere that you had to go to play games, and you had to put money into a giant "box" also called a "gaming cabinet" that had one game in it and you didn't get to save and continue later, you didn't get unlimited play time, and you most certainly didn't get to play from the comforts of your own home.

I'm very much aware that there are other mmo's in other countries, but a good majority of those aren't mainstream here and thus not really relevant to the issue here, as I am not dismissing the fact that they may also be guilt of monetizing everything, I'm simply looking more local, and mainstream.

I'm sorry but why you talking about fortnite, while it does have microtransactions, you are correct that they aren't loot boxes. But again why are you bring that into things.

I'm not even going to touch those last because there not even worth the effort. They're totally pointless.

Message 37 of 39 (76 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

@enaiman A leaderboard is part of the roadmap for April.  see https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/acts.  So, buying weps will be a form of P2W in this game (perhaps a lite version... but, P2W nonetheless). 

And, as others have pointed out, selling actual weps and gear is a very slippery slope that has the potential to vastly change one of the core game play mechanics at work in Anthem: looting.  While I generally have a distaste for slippery slope arguments, as they a highly speculative beasts, I do not have a hard time believing that if they do start selling actual weps and gear, we will be slowly pushed further and further into the store to get the good stuff, as it will become increasingly rare out in the wild.  And, we already know how rare some of that stuff already is...

Message 38 of 39 (70 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@WPScorpionWindno really it IS a partnership. otherwise they couldn't be developing content to be added to the games around the time of movie launches. they DEFINITELY cant discuss the details of the contract with the public so you have 0 facts to back up your claims, for all we know its Disney axing these starwars games and NOT ea.

paragraph2: you REALLY dont seem to know what is going on or has been going on, are you a console player or something? why dont the games on origin have trading cards when the same games on steam DO? do you even know what dota2 or cs:go are?

#3: they cant be the "lynchpin" if the problem existed a decade before they did their first microtransaction.. clearly they didn't NEED to be there for it to exist (again: do you even know what a lynchpin is?). you are right in that taking a cut isn't a microtransaction, its just another reason to hate a company that gets treated like gold for doing everything EA does and worse.. STEAM. some arcade games had multiple games in them.. playchoice 10 and neo geo spring to mind. I know because I grew up in arcades, and it was nothing like a microtransaction. it was closer to pinball or a MIDWAY game where you pay for 3 balls or lives or rings. guess what.. if you didn't suck, and learned from your mistakes (instead of taking to forums to cry or youtube to watch a video) you COULD get unlimited play time on a lot of games. I beat afterburner 2 on 1 quarter.

4: "not main stream"? yeaaa.. nobody ever played any nc soft games, or final fantasy games.. phantasy star.. bless.. black desert.. not even worth listing them all because I would be here for an hour. "not relevant" in your poorly informed fantasy world maybe.

5: they ARE loot boxes! do you not know what loot boxes are either?!

whats pointless here is your comments, I cant even count them as "opinions" because you seem grossly misinformed on pretty much everything you have said.

Message 39 of 39 (69 Views)
Twitter Stream