Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: BioWare - For my sanity, please sell Legendaries in the in-game store

by WPScorpionWind

Original Post

Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

I remember loving Diablo 3 so much when it came out. I played and played, grinded and grinded. Beat everything as each character and worked towards getting them all to max lvl. Took a long time and it was really fun along the way. At some point in time I noticed there would be players doing runs with me that would just wipe up in no time, they had god like gear equipped. I searched around the internet and found items being advertised on forums for sale with real money. Eventually I decided to buy a legendary Windforce bow for my demon hunter. I still remember it being so cheap at the time, pretty sure it was under $2. Anyways... I felt so elite at first when I equipped it and my damage just soared. The feeling wore off pretty quick though. There was no satisfaction killing mobs knowing that I just bought the loot that I'm using, and it totally killed my motivation to continue grinding / farming for loot. It was too easy. 

If they were to introduce loot purchases in this game store I wouldn't want to be a part of it, and it would be really unfortunate because it would somewhat ruin the party experience for me too. I wouldn't want to play with anyone in my party that had paid for their gear. Right now the way it usually pans out is that when there's somebody in my party doing noticeable more dmg than the rest of the party I'm like "wow". But then you watch the person play for a minute and they are a very calculated and effective javelin pilot. They have awesome loot because they obviously play and farm a lot based on their skills. It's nice to see. Seeing a player do big chunks of damage and then watching them constantly miss combo opportunities, overheat, be teleported to you for falling behind, face walls for half the mission.... would not invoke the same enthusiasm or response. I think it would kill the experience if a crappy pilot can just buy their way into gm3

Message 21 of 39 (144 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

To be honest even GM1 is a stretch for me - the only reason to do it is just to get the MW components which won't drop on lower difficulties. Legendaries, I really don't care about them - once I get my MW javelin I am back to playing easy mode one shotting everything on freeplay - personally I am not playing for a challenge, I just enjoy the game - the hundreds hours grind is not something I prefer to do with my time.

GM3 - oh boy ... Large smile

Message 22 of 39 (141 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide
Dude once your mw sav you can one shot things on gm1 lol. My RANGER is my weakest one and I'm having no issues.
Message 23 of 39 (133 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Pro

@mcsupersport wrote:

Simply put, the stuff in the store now that can be bought with real cash is optional, and not needed for day to day use in the game.  The reason people are so against Pay to Win in PvE games is that it WILL change how a dev balances the game.  How you ask...? 

RIght now, they know you will spend so much time getting your stuff, but they can't make any money except by getting you to buy the game(so it needs to be fun) and by buying the fun stuff in the store, which you don't really need, so it needs to be cool and fun.

IF they sold stuff like guns in the store, then they WILL start to change the balance of missions, drops and such to balance out to bleed the most from you to  play the game.  So you really really want/need a Legendary Devastator to finish your build.  Now you have to grind for it, and it will come eventually...BUT if they sold it you could just go buy it, No issue...except some bean counter or manager of the game wants to make more money, so it is 8 bucks for the gun.  Hey no issue, you can afford it....but what about all those kids who can't or people who don't want to spend the money??  Well, since they know they will make 8 bucks off you if it is really really really hard to get your NEEDED gun, they make it super rare, and if they aren't selling enough, they maybe make it more rare....ohhh, but now they have a BETTER gun, that is even RARER, and it is only 10 bucks....or you could grind 150 hours and probably get it...and if they aren't selling enough, they will make it 200 hours...  Now they are designing the game with the propose of getting you to buy stuff, to make it easier, or able to do content, INSTEAD of trying to make it cool and fun so you continue to play and hopefully buy those cool outfits next month too.

You see, they NEED to make the game fun and entertaining now to keep you playing, and hopefully buying all the cool outfits, whereas if they had a P2W setup, then they would be making the game to milk you dry of money.  The game would become less and less fun, and more about taking your money to stop the grind, which kills the game after enough people get tired of being drained.  It hurts those most who are addictive personalities and who "NEED" all the cool gear to play....

Yes, I have argued this very same point in other games. If the revenue stream relies on players purchasing items from the store especially weapons etc, the push is for more items to be sold in the store. Even if the company is determined to not push the cash store and remain focussed on the game content, there is a subconscious downward pressure from management to sell more items, it can be something as subtle as "we did well this week, we sold so many units blah, blah" but it inevitably changes the focus and applies pressure. With an undertaking to only sell cosmetic items through the store the onus is on the company to make them appealing enough for players to want to purchase them, it doesn't change the focus on the game content because they aren't necessary to the game, as soon as you start selling items that are necessary to the game, weapons etc, the focus changes as they attempt to make the purchase not optional but needed, ie: making the weapons op.

Message 24 of 39 (132 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@enaiman wrote:

Pay to win ... what?

Is there a ladder, competition, top players, PvP ... anything to win which threatens (whatever) of the free player?

Just consider this: like money, time has a different value for different people - somebody's time can be more valuable than other's.

Imagine you are playing a game and your mum ask you to take out the trash - you are in a middle of something which you can't pause or do later but your brother is just watching TV - you can stop playing and take the trash out or you can give a dollar to your brother to do it for you - what would you do? I think the answer is pretty obvious.

An ambiguous definition of P2W, which in reality is being able to gain an advantage over other players by using RL cash instead of in-game currency. It doesn't mean "to win the game", that is just sophistry nothing more. The same argument over semantics was used by the climate deniers and "global warming", they thought it was clever saying that some places got colder, in effect they were arguing specific locales rather than global, a silly argument to anyone with a smattering of grey matter.

Message 25 of 39 (131 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@nk125I.... Th.... ... Bu.... ... ... ... 🤨😐😟🤦‍♂️🤨

I just don't even know how to respond to this. I really don't. I mean putting aside the fact that they said up front before launch that the in game store was cosmetic only (which I am so happy about), you're asking them to making the game, a pay to win, one of the biggest hated systems in games by the gaming community for years. You're asking EA the biggest monetizer of games to make one of the few games in years that wasn't a giant cash grab, exactly that...

Someone please tell me this is a joke, or a fake post to test to see how the community feels about microtransactions. Please Please, someone tell me that this this isn't real. I don't me lie to me, I just don't want to believe that people(s) could actually be asking to be allowed to throw money at their screen, when the gaming community as a whole has been working so hard to stop it.

@enaiman wrote:

What's wrong with asking for stuff for sale in the store? Why should everyone have to grind through countless hours of repetitive stuff just to get a chance at some drop?

Two words. Looter Shooter

That's the whole genera and concept of this game. Also because buying your way to OP gear is wrong and what is called Pay to Win. One of the biggest insults and threats to the gaming industry that has ever existed. It's something a lot of my generation of gamers has fought very hard to get rid of.

I get it, you are proud of your hard work in the game and the items you got over countless hours of grinding; nothing wrong with that but guess what - nobody can see those items because you can't inspect loadouts. Somebody in green gear can pretend they have all legendaries and nobody can prove them wrong.

... Ummm... yes you can. Open the map > tap to the right twice to a tab called social > check power level. While you can't see their exact items you can prove them wrong. If they're in uncommon gear they're going to be an uncommon power javelin, and it will say so. Aside from that fact, if they're in GM2-3 in uncommon gear, it's going to become fairly obvious that they are lying about having legendary gear, unless they are the most OP uncommon god in all of Anthem.

What else can you show for your hard work and be visible to others for bragging purposes? Paints, decals, suits and emotes - those are available in store for credits ... bought with real

cash so anyone ready to spend will be able to buy them straight away without grinding weeks for coins. 

Not all of it can, there's at least one armor set, three emotes, and I'm not sure how many vinyls that have to be bought with coin. They aren't in the stores rotation.

So I am asking again - why oppose it?

Because we have the right and the ability to to speak our minds too. Because we disagree, because why the heck not?

Message 26 of 39 (116 Views)
Highlighted

★ Apprentice

Two words. Looter Shooter

That's the whole genera and concept of this game. Also because buying your way to OP gear is wrong and what is called Pay to Win. One of the biggest insults and threats to the gaming industry that has ever existed. It's something a lot of my generation of gamers has fought very hard to get rid of.

Lol - Mr Righteous - had no idea millenials fought that hard for something.

Message 27 of 39 (102 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Guide

@enaimanOH YA. Big time. You type up anything along the lines of "stop pay to win" or "the fight to stop pay to win" or "Pay to win is killing gaming" into google, and legit you'll find so much on the matter that your head might explode from overload. It's kind of funny how gaming started in an arcade and you had to pay to even play a single round, and comparing that to now. Things of changed, some for the better. Some for the worse. But that's how life works. Always something.😉👍

Message 28 of 39 (98 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

No, please no.  Do not sell legendaries in cash shop.  If anything, tweak crafting so you get the MW weapon recipe from using the epic version to kill a crap load of legendary mobs, and legendary weapon recipe from using the MW version to kill an even more crap load of legendary mobs.

While you're at it... give us a way to craft MW and legendary iconic components and gear (other than acquiring said MW and legendary iconic components and gear and then using it 35+ times...)!

Message 29 of 39 (90 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Apprentice

I put this post up on pure frustration.

I just need a break in the game - I am stuck on the M/W level (with not great inscriptions) - It means I struggle in GM2 (still can do it, but it a real chore) and GM3 is not even on my horizon. I literally haven't seen a legendary in now nearly 3 weeks and its getting frustrating not been able to progress my javelin and now every other post is look at my new shiny thing and this just feels like a wind up.

It seams obvious to me there is a huge problem in the RNG part of the loot system or how else can different segments of the community have sustained wildly different results.Iv'e tried D2, a beautiful game, tonnes of loot but a combat system (Cover and more cover) which I hugely dislike, so I guess I am back at Anthem,

So right now I would be prepared to drop cash for a leg up into the next level and I thought I would never say that.

Message 30 of 39 (71 Views)
Twitter Stream