Best HOTAS deadzone settings after patch?

by SithMetal71

Original Post

Best HOTAS deadzone settings after patch?

★★★★ Guide

Anyone know or have settings that actually feel right. 

Please post your settings for deadzones including global and what difference they make?

Message 1 of 13 (2,552 Views)

Re: Best HOTAS deadzone settings after patch?

★★★ Apprentice
@SithMetal71 Pretty simple, as long as your stick has a gimbal in good shape, that does not give unwanted input when centered put deadzone at 0 for maximum precission. I also prefer a linear curve but did Not Check if this is also adjustable now.
Message 2 of 13 (2,535 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@SithMetal71 It really comes down to what you are using, I use the Thrustmaster T.Flight One and have had to make no changes.
Message 3 of 13 (2,531 Views)

★ Guide

I'm using the post-patch default deadzone of 10% and, while I'm still a noob, I felt like it was working pretty well, certainly no worse than it did when I was using Joystick Gremlin with no deadzones. This video is from last night with the default settings:

Message 4 of 13 (2,519 Views)

★ Guide

Set it to the minimum such that there is always zero input when your hand is off the stick. A stick's centering has some play in it, so that the stick might rest a bit off center. That amount of play should fall inside the deadzone.

Message 5 of 13 (2,511 Views)

★ Guide
@SithMetal71 my global is 0, and each axis is also set to zero. i had to drop sensitivity to 30% for pitch/yaw, and i set roll to 40%.. This has provided me with very tight accurate and responsive controls. I speed through the flying junkyard with ease.

Before i felt like i was fighting invisible air gusts or water currents pushing me in the direction i was pushing the flight stick 3 seconds prior. Like trying to swim in molasses.

The patch was night and day for me, and now instead of just tolerating the game, i absolutely love it!

T.Flight HOTAS X on PC
Message 6 of 13 (2,504 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@BullitMagnit74 If it works for you with those sensitivity its of course ok to do so, but lower sensitivity always means you have a kind of input lag. One can get used to it, but I encourage you to go in small steps towards 100%. You will build up muscle memory over time and while you now may have the feeling of oversteering with high sensitivity you may enjoy the high sensitivity one day as it will provide you higher precission with faster reaction.
Message 7 of 13 (2,498 Views)

★ Guide
@nazradu ill try to work towards that, tho right now if i went anywhere near 100%, i'd look like im spazzing out like Kramer.
Message 8 of 13 (2,488 Views)

★ Guide

Best to learn to ride the bucking bronco early on., The first couple days I was overstreering all over the place, but with a little practice I'm getting better. That video was last night (only my 3rd), and I'm sure I'll do even better tonight. Keep at it! Standard smile

Message 9 of 13 (2,450 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

OK I'm a little confused here, and you folks on this thread seem to know what you're talking about, so question: Is the feeling in the following comment really caused by "sensitivity," or is it actually caused by the game's physics?

"Before i felt like i was fighting invisible air gusts or water currents pushing me in the direction i was pushing the flight stick 3 seconds prior. Like trying to swim in molasses."

I have that feeling about this game in general, and I have tried various sensitivity settings on my joystick. It can be confirmed by simply doing target practice on space-junk and seeing what happens when you do a hard turn and then put your stick (or mouse, or gamepad) back to neutral: your ship drifts for like a second, totally off where you were aiming.

To zero in on a (stationary) target, you have to do one of three things:

1) Turn *slowly* (i.e. not hard, not using your full turning capabilities, not pushing your stick to the edge)

2) "Counter-steer" *perfectly* - that is, push your stick the opposite way you were pushing it as you get close to your target, to force your ship to stop rotating more quickly.

3) Over-steer, then over-correct, then correct again, all the while getting shot up by multiple bogeys. This one is by far the most common Wink 

So could it be that turning your sensitivity down just makes you more likely to do #1 above? (Not turn as hard, therefore not having to work hard to stop the rotation.)

Because I don't think there is any setting in this game that can get rid of the "rotational inertia" problem. It is just part of the game. It's like they made it intentionally hard to *quickly* come out of a hard turn and shoot someone. It almost seems like they wanted to nerf skilled pilots from earlier Xwing games. Almost. hehe.

It would be great if they could reduce that "rotational inertia" to about 1/3 or 1/4 of its present factor. It just ruins a lot of the fun for people who are used to being able to aim precisely and shoot at will.

I have even thought of starting a petition or something for this particular change. Every other new thing in this game I am fine with, more or less. But it is just so hard to come out of a hard turn and hit a target!

Message 10 of 13 (2,359 Views)