Berries decks are really unbeatable and need a change to balance them

by AstroQuiereJugar

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Berries decks are really unbeatable and need a change to balance them

★★ Guide

IMHO, decks that include combinations of Strawberrian, Sergeant Strongberry, Sour Grapes, High-Voltage Currant, Elderberry, Bluesberry and Berry Blast are totally unstoppable. Their massive attacks (both in the second and in the third phase of each turn) and in general their high health make them very unbalanced.

I think the root of the whole problem is Strawberrian. Before the arrival of this card, berry decks were not OP. Having 3/3 make it very difficult to eliminate, and since it is not legendary (It should have been legendary from the beggining), all berries players play four copies of this card.

Message 1 of 9 (1,941 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Berries decks are really unbeatable and need a change to balance them

★★ Guide

I had forgotten Shelf Mushroom, and the combination of Lily Pad and Sergeant Strongberry had not occurred to me. In fact, since you gave me the idea, I think playing Strawberrian in the water is even more powerful: you certainly miss attacking a lane, but since water cards are a minority, being able to attack them constantly with Strawberrian makes it very difficult destroy it in the water.

View in thread

Message 3 of 9 (2,341 Views)

All Replies

★ Pro

I have to admit that I have done very well with this deck of berries. 

Shelf Mushroom, It also contributes a lot to this group, they are great! . I play with NightC, and i also add Lily Pad, so i can put Sergeant in the water lane and it's really hard to stop, pretty good.

Wait sorry, we were saying that they are very powerful and that is bad right? lol 

I dont know if Strawberrian is the problem here. 

Message 2 of 9 (1,923 Views)

★★ Guide

I had forgotten Shelf Mushroom, and the combination of Lily Pad and Sergeant Strongberry had not occurred to me. In fact, since you gave me the idea, I think playing Strawberrian in the water is even more powerful: you certainly miss attacking a lane, but since water cards are a minority, being able to attack them constantly with Strawberrian makes it very difficult destroy it in the water.

Message 3 of 9 (2,342 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Try making a pet deck with 4x Squirrel Herders. Nothing is more satisfying than eliminating a high-cost berry for free Standard smile

Message 4 of 9 (1,903 Views)

★ Guide

There is always a counter for every deck but in my experience Berry decks do not rank highly in the unbeatable decks.

Pros of berry decks are reasonable cost, multi-damage cards that do damage before zombie trick turn. But it takes a little while to get the cards on the board you want and the fun really only starts when you get Strawberrian/Strongberry on the board.

High Voltage current is incredible fragile - nibble, plumber, rolling stone / weed spray before it gets to 3 attack and you are done. Throw trapper and Total eclipse environment in there.

Wild berry is wonderful but slightly random and again fragile.

Sour Grapes is great once strongberry is on the board but really lackluster without.

I will take a bean deck before a berry deck. Go-nuts + beans + water lane.

Flower Deck

Nut Deck

Bean Deck

Root Deck

To me are all better than Berry deck.

Message 5 of 9 (1,873 Views)

★★★ Guide
@npgibbs whether berries are best is debatable - and I’m not personally out calling for berry nerfs - but I do think Strawberrian makes berry decks more dynamic and variable than any of the alternatives on your list.

You say they only really get going when you have Strawberrian/Sergeant together... but that’s not really true. Strawberrian/Strawberrian can hold down a board-state almost equally well, and so can Sergeant/Sergeant. Add that Imitater is a Kaboom card and so is Pear Paradise, and you have a lot of ways to arrive at a two-card combo that has a good shot at winning you the game. It’s dynamic because all the relevent cards are Kaboom, so any Kaboom hero can come out with a “surprise: berries” deck with its own tricks/twist almost equally well.

Also, High-Voltage Current starts small it’s true, but it’s also a 1-drop that has the potential to get huge and it conjures. So trading with it (a la Rolling Stones) puts you behind, while trying to trade with it (a la Rolling Stones...) might become impossible due to its fluctuating attack stat.
Message 6 of 9 (1,831 Views)

Message 7 of 9 (1,464 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@UniVoidz UNIVOIDZ. IF YOU ARE THERE, PLEASE RESPOND. THE PVZ HEROES COMMUNITY WANTS TO GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU. thanks
Message 8 of 9 (812 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yea, Berries are Crazy when they get Set-up.. Damage-Focus.

Message 9 of 9 (664 Views)