Battlefield 2042: Weak map destruction

by iBloxyy

Original Post

Battlefield 2042: Weak map destruction

★★ Novice

We could see the destruction on the map Orbital that has a weak performance. Small buildings on that map dont fully destruct, even with high power explosives. Expecting the bigs destructions that DICE with the new frostbite engine, the beta do not reached the spectations that we had on the beta, about this especific topic. Hope this changes in the launch of the final game. What are your opinions about it?

Message 1 of 8 (2,259 Views)

Re: Battlefield 2042: Weak map destruction

★★★★★ Expert
@iBloxyy Absolutely 100% agreed.

We had much better quality and quantity of destructibility in Battlefield: Bad Company 2, which is coming up on 12 years old!

I was extremely disappointed in the lack of depth in this distinctly Battlefield feature within the Open Beta... I mean, why show us the destruction teaser in the EA Play Tech Demo if you are not even going to include it?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J207tMmSGAo&t=70s
Message 2 of 8 (2,250 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

But we all know now (because EA has not told us so, but all their messenger boys have) that the Beta build was many months old, and that is the reason why it was so full of bugs and lackluster!

So yeah, the beta last week was MANY months old obviously.  😀

As the very deep and detailed 'reveal' we got here was from all the way back in June LAST YEAR 2020! 😂

Btw, try and notice the first comment posted to that YouTube video last year:

BF2042RevealUTVideo.JPG

Message 3 of 8 (2,219 Views)

★★★ Guide

They can't employ destruction at the same scale as BF1 and BFV. Most building in those games were 1 to 2 stories. In BF4 and BF2042 the assets are huge. I dont know how the coding works in Frostbite but I'd imagine it being very challenging to code destruction on large assets. 

I'm glad we have big buildings and large assets all over the maps. BF1 and BFV had such basic assets. It limited gameplay. When the assets were destroyed in those games all that's left in terms of gameplay is linear and mostly prone gameplay which no one likes. It ruined maps. Think Fjell, Narvik, Aerodrome, etc...

There's probably going to large swaths in some maps that are fully destructible, Orbital isnt one of those maps. 

Message 4 of 8 (2,213 Views)

★ Pro

@iBloxyy wrote:Expecting the bigs destructions that DICE with the new frostbite engine, the beta do not reached the spectations that we had on the beta

We?  I had no destruction expectations for this beta.  I thought that the destruction was on par with past games in the series.  Especially Battlefield 4.  The terrain deformation is still there.  Unless I've missed something in Battlefield V as I did not play it much.  There hasn't been a full collapse of building in this series (unless you count the Levolution in BF4) since Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I remember the devs explaining why this was the case.  Something to the likes of a flat map with no structures for cover is not good level design.  

Message 5 of 8 (2,190 Views)

★★★★ Pro

I think its a bit less but BF V destruction was uber fun. However, since its setting most buildings where made out of wood and stone. So i guess it makes more sense that you could run a whole building down with a tank. Esp. leveling a building with snipers camping inside gives me great joy lol Standard smile

But yeah you cant compare BF2 to 2042. The assets are way way larger and better quality. Maybe its a 128 player count, maybe the cross play? (Consoles have less Ram) or maybe theres more. We haven't seen the other maps yet. 

Message 6 of 8 (2,184 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@CyberDyme

I understand your incredulity, but what else can we do but trust EA? It does not really make any difference when the beta build was branched… especially now that it is over. It clearly had issues that need to be fixed before release or this game is in trouble.

Does it make sense to have an “old” beta? Not really, but again it is (was) what it is (was)… all we can do at this point is continue making our points here and through the CMs and hope for the best.

Message 7 of 8 (2,171 Views)

@BaronVonGoon This is really BF3 levels of destruction so it really doesn't bother me. Historically DICE has said they don't like BC2, BF1, and BF5 flatten the map destruction which was one reason they made fortifications in BF5. That being the case they either went back to a former level of destruction for that reason or they scaled the destruction back due to the increased player count IMO.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Please mark a thread as solved if a post solves your issue.

EA Answers HQ Volunteer Forum Moderator

BF3, BF4, BF1, BFV DICE Friend tag awardee

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Twitter: Ragnarok013
Message 8 of 8 (2,160 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help