Re: Banned for requesting a refund and having to resort to a Chargeback - OVERTU

by EA_Mako

Original Post

Re: Banned for requesting a refund and having to resort to a Chargeback - OVERTU

★★★★★ Expert

@edgecrusherO0 wrote:
@FifthRocketeerAgain, this is standard. Any chargeback results in an account closure for online services in gaming, and elsewhere.

If you have legal remedies through your government, use those, not chargebacks. Chargebacks will always result in a ban. Always.

Sucks you had to learn this lesson the hard way, dude : /

apparently not always.  he got his account back

Message 11 of 15 (636 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@edgecrusherO0Again what lesson?

Their terms and conditions - Make use of any payment methods or refund systems to access, purchase or refund EA Services for fraudulent purposes, or without permission of the authorized owner, or otherwise concerning a criminal offence or other unlawful activity.

Asking for a refund for a broken game is not fraudulent, and not a criminal offense or an unlawful activity. They were abusing their own T&Cs hoping people just give up.

If I had played 100s of hours and then done a chargeback yes that would be fraudulent and they would be 100% correct to ban me.

Now if it is standard for other platforms to do the same as EA and just ban anyone that has to use a chargeback I suspect they are bending the interpretation of their own T&Cs as well.

Oh and as a bonus chargebacks are not just for cases of fraudulent charges. It changes a little bit from country to country.

For example in the EU-

• Fraud or unauthorized charges on your account
  • Packages that were never delivered
  • Damaged or defective items - BF 2042 landed here at launch-
  • Incorrect charges on your account: 

And in Ireland Chargebacks cover more-

• Goods not received
  • The service/merchandise I have received was not as described or defective - BF 2042 again fell under this one at launch
  • Subscription/Continuous authority transactions that I have canceled still being charged to my card
  • A Refund that I was promised was not processed after 30 days
  • I do not recognise a transaction
  • Free Trials

Not to mention simple consumer rights that in Ireland are a lot stricter than other countries.

However I understood the wording of the T&Cs, no lessons to be learned on my part I got my €89.99 back for the game and I still have my account.

Message 12 of 15 (633 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Charge backs for nonfraudulent purchases IS fraud.

Message 13 of 15 (577 Views)

★★★ Guide

@sk1lld wrote:

Play stupid games win stupid prizes.

Charge backs for nonfraudulent purchases IS fraud.

Under the laws of the country OP is from, it absolutely isn't fraud, its a legal exercise of their rights.

Message 14 of 15 (559 Views)
Highlighted

Community Manager

I'm glad to hear you were able to get back into the account @FifthRocketeer!

For any others running into a similar situation, please feel free to appeal with these steps and our ToS team will investigate your situation as well.

This really isn't the place to debate what constitutes fraud so I'll be locking the thread here as it's run its course. Thanks all.

Mako.png
Message 15 of 15 (2,335 Views)