Re: Balancing Matchmaking

by SlivPTS

Original Post

Balancing Matchmaking

★★ Newbie

Is it possible to adjust matchmaking to balance casual players? Only to have Newbies - Gold ranked players in one pub and Plat - Predators in another pub server? I'm a casual player and my buddies always get murdered by high ranks in pubs.

Message 1 of 18 (520 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

sadly no. it will ruins the game eco system as respawn already ruined it. i dont tihnk they will fix it soon unless player numbers drop too much.

Message 2 of 18 (438 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

There will still be smurfs even if you do that and your buddies will still get destroyed on the regular.  SBMM has been horrible since I started playing in Season 8 & there doesn't seem to be any effort to fix or even change it.

Message 3 of 18 (427 Views)

★ Expert
@INITIA1E This talk about matchmaking is much deeper than what you guys think about it. Lets say that they take your advice and only match people based on their skill level, if you're Plat-Pred what is the reason to play pubs anymore? Why not just play ranked and atleast earn some points instead of sweating on pubs? But then again it's also unfair and not really fun for newbies/casual to be paired against obviously more skilled players. It's basically picking your poison.
Message 4 of 18 (414 Views)

★★ Pro

And unfortunately the smurfing and creation of new accounts, will always deter the match making from doing what it is intended to do. It feels like a no win situation. sadly. 

Message 5 of 18 (403 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@INITIA1E If you’re in a premade squad, you’re matched with other premade squads regardless of rank (most of the time).
Message 6 of 18 (391 Views)

★ Pro
@Daze623 But that's how it must be. High skill players must play only against high skill players. Casual/low skill players don't have chance against Diamond+ players.

And MM in apex is rigged AF. In this game you win when MM sees that you lost enough times (as most of games you play against way stronger players) and put's you against lower skill players. I personally see it all the time. I am constantly dying from masters and preds and then suddenly i am in bot lobby and i have high chance to win because MM decided so.

Let's not forget that majority of player-base are casual players. Only small % of apex player base are high skill players and for some reason Respawn let's high skill players poop on casual players.
Message 7 of 18 (377 Views)

★ Expert
@SlivPTS That argument works in ranked only imo. In pubs it's still a debate at the end of the day everyone should be able to enjoy pubs. Lower ranks shouldn't be stomped by high skill players but high skill players shouldn't have to sweat their balls off on pubs either.
Message 8 of 18 (351 Views)

★ Pro
@Daze623 "at the end of the day everyone should be able to enjoy pubs"? With "everyone", you mean these ~10% of high skill players who destroy casual players? I am constantly dying form way stronger players in pubs and i can tell you that there is ZERO enjoyment. It's simply not fair to put master level players (sometimes even in premade squads) with casual players who play few days in a season. Casual player is just a walking target.
Message 9 of 18 (344 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Here is what I have noticed about SBMM in AR. 

When I am in a PUG (pick up group or what you call randoms)  I am currently level 134 but then they toss in a level 20 or less and the other is in the middle like level 75.  The other team will also have a level combo near our levels (e.g. level 15, 80, & 138).  On many occasions, I notice they will match one or more of the characters (which is real dumb idea) this is their idea of balance, when it just adds to the confusion of have 2 wraiths or 2 octanes in the arena. 

What I don't know, but I would suspect, they  use the KDR (kill death ratio) as another statistical weight as well.  I don't believe player level should play a large factor in their process, KDR is fine, but I am still a poor shot even at my advanced level.  Experience (XP) is mostly gained by survival points and anyone good at duck and cover, such as myself, can quickly gain XP.  What they do need is a stat for Hit Miss Ratio (HMR).  If they teamed up random PUGs based on HMR and KDR ignoring level, they might have a better balance. 

I don't know, if character attributes matter that much in AR, as some just will not function in the AR.  Care packages and airstrikes require open sky, I have been with Bloodhounds who don't use their tactical at all, and some character's ultimate abilities are worthless in AR.  However I would try to mix them and avoid duplication as it tends to make one hesitate or shoot the wrong pathfinder.  

Just food for thought.

Message 10 of 18 (333 Views)