Are we going to see massive 50 v 50 or > MP games?

by SterlingARCH3R

Original Post

Are we going to see massive 50 v 50 or > MP games?

[ Edited ]
Champion

I feel as if the next milestone step to BF gaming is to have larger player servers. 50 v 50, or even more massive, 64 v 64, 100 v 100, etc.

I can imagine it being crazy and chaotic, but it'll be controlled chaos. I'm sure there would be a lot of criticism against it, but think about it like this: at one time, 32 v 32 games were once thought to be too large, at least given the practical limitations of technology at the time. But, a massive multiplayer game on a map like Omaha beach on D-Day not only makes sense, it's perfect for it. If anything, an entire Friday Night Battlefield full of players - literally, as many players as there are online joining a single server for a one-off event - storming the beach or defending the beach would be an experience to behold. Will some iteration of this eventually be in the works?

If you found this post helpful, please leave XP.
If you disagree, please leave a comment.
Either way, it helps to make the post more informative.

I like game design - from itty bitty bugs to big ideas.
I don't work for EA.

Join us on our Easter Egg hunt.
Message 1 of 11 (807 Views)

Re: Are we going to see massive 50 v 50 or > MP games?

★★★ Apprentice

Look fun ^^.

Message 2 of 11 (802 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

The subject had been discussed on previous battlefield and they stayed 32 vs 32 for a balance problem.

BUT, with the new battleroyal mode that can change, we'll see.

Message 3 of 11 (798 Views)

Hero

Another reason for 64 players not having changed is that while the server hardware has changed in time, so has Battlefield. A lot more things are being tracked and the tickrate has gone up so these updates gets sent at a quicker interval. I would like to test out a 50vs50 server, see how lower the FPS gets with the extra players and if the servers could keep up without sacrificing hit registration etc.

carbonic signature

Message 4 of 11 (779 Views)

★ Apprentice

As much as I would love to see DICE raising the player count in matches I just don't see it happening just yet, Battlefield as a series has always been known for its 64 player cap and still having netcode/networking issues, raising that will bring even more instability.

if a WW2 game with 50 vs 50 player count interests you that much, I would highly recommend keeping an eye on Post Scriptum, it's a WW2 game geared more towards realism and simulation like Project Reality and Squad if you heard or played those, it's on steam and you can check the roadmap here

https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/31533869/654995ae3a6e670dd262440c...

50 vs 50 dedicated servers is something they wish to bring to the table.

Message 5 of 11 (767 Views)

EA DICE Team
You could "unlock" it by modding Battlefield 2, to do 128 players combat. It was interesting. Standard smile

/Atic
Message 6 of 11 (679 Views)

I personally think the biggest fights we'll see are 64 player battles.

As they showed Grand Operations at EAplay, it also was just 64 players on.

And as they said that will be a massive fight you'll experience, so i guess we won't see more player that 64 in total. Standard smile

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 7 of 11 (665 Views)

Hero (Retired)
Atic, there was also 128 player servers for BF3 I think, back in Beta or something.

When the EA servers got hacked...
Message 8 of 11 (652 Views)

[ Edited ]

Wow, lol. :eahigh_file: when the Servers got hacked.

CCP Hero Banner 1 Grande.png

Message 9 of 11 (636 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I can only hope and pray that the same does not happen this year where these Hacker losers try to screw up the launch... :D

Message 10 of 11 (618 Views)