Are any Free To Play plant players making Ultimate League

by shankylanks

Original Post

Are any Free To Play plant players making Ultimate League

★★ Apprentice

?

I used to make it in a week or so, but man.  The recent Zombie updates are a puzzler to solve.  There are some uncrackable combos unless I get significantly lucky on my draw. Or build something specific to kill them.   Really really starting to hate Going Viral.  Planetary Gladiator plus health buffs environment or the various ways to make him unkillable are really efficient for the cost.  Not a big fan of the cost of Stompadon and Fossil Head.  Quickdraw Conman is a pain.  Shrug. Just curious who is having success and with what strategy other than dumping money at the problem.  I'd bought a pack here and there but if thats what it will take to stay relevant then I'm more likley to walk away to another game.  Too much holidays.  Too Much stress.  Stuff to do.  

Anyone got an efficient strategy that is reasonably consistently working for them right now?  With say only one or two legendary cards per deck?

My legendary cards are

Gloom Shroom. Body Gourd. Soul Patch. Wall Nut Bowling

ReinCarnation.  Dany Lion King.  3x Kernel Corn

Brainana. The Great Zuccini

Briar Rose.  Astrocado.  

Message 1 of 24 (1,018 Views)

Re: Are any Free To Play plant players making Ultimate League

★★★★★ Guide
I am kinda busy at the moment, so sorry I can't give you a very detailed deck, buuuuut I can give you some advice.

Try making a Solar Flare flower/control deck.
I personally hate Dany Lion King and Kernel Corn. They are absurdly powerful on control decks, and specially inside the Venus Flytraplanet environment. (You can easily heal for 8 with those cards)

Briar Rose is also super powerful to kill those nasty zombies (like the Planetary Gladiator). You can add some cards like Cosmic Flower and Power Flower so you get extra cards and heals.

Try that my friend, and tell me how you did.
I hope I can help you more next time.
Message 2 of 24 (1,010 Views)

★ Guide
Nope. I was also able to make it to ultimate every season. Now can't make it out of diamond. Why? All the reasons you stated. But can I add f$%king Zomblob too?

I don't think there has been a more overplayed, overpowered, POS z card ever. Take away its cranked up 5 health and take away bullseye and it's STILL a ridiculously hard card to beat. +bonus attack and/or op viral and your done, no defense.

Yes I've gotten lucky a few times, but when every single z player runs these types of decks you can't contend.

Message 3 of 24 (1,004 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Okay I gave that one a try but only having 1 Briar Rose makes it tricky to rely on her flower kill ability to control the board.  Then otherwise with various untrickable zombies out there it seems a harder environment for a control deck.   Unless I'm wrong?  I keep having to battle a round two Fossilhead evolution, and can't mow them down or slap them with berries or banana bomb barrages or big honking mallets or anything.  Hmm..

Message 4 of 24 (998 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Total Eclipse is probably a point or two too cheap for the effect it has on controlling the shape of the board.

Message 5 of 24 (993 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah I can't make a Solar Controller Flare deck seem to work.  Must not have the cards for it.  I do better with my mushroom deck.  But even there I'm stuck in the mid 40's for now.  I do fine in the middle of the day when the 30's and 20's are playing, and I can contend with the 40's almost 50/50 maybe a little better.   But the late night big monster unlimited players eat me alive.  Curious if Plants were running the board before?  Because all of the tweaks in the latest news were about improving Zombies, and the only plant news was weakening clique peas, Me personally I never really ran clique peas much and still did fine.

Message 6 of 24 (986 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
Before this expansion, plants ruled ranked. First it was the Heartichoke + Flytraplanet combo of death. Kinda the same as now, but the other way around, zombie players had no counterplay unless the plant heroe messed up.

Then was the Clique Peas pandemonium. You were forced to battle against 3 4/4 clique peas on turn 2. (Because before the nerf, clique pea always costed 1 sun, no matter it's size).

So... yeah. I guess the zombies are now on the op side.
Message 7 of 24 (949 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Ok sure but that scenario rarely happens, and its not a strategy you could win by consistently.  Clique peas were cheap (I dunno if they are worth it now after you play the first two. After that they tend to clog your deck) but not like Go Viral which can turn any configuration of opponents into double attack mobs. 

OP or not I'm still curious what decks are having any success against this current power imbalance.  There's always something that can stand up even in a tough situation.  I'm Taco League with a Nightcap deck and until recently have dont okay despite a limited deck.  I've only spent on cards twice, one of which was the completely worthless Witch Hazel, so I know you can compete even without premium cards.  Just interested to see what strategies people are finding useful.

Message 8 of 24 (939 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Grrr.  Facing facts.  I dont have the cards to compete with plants any more.  The game has passed me by.  Gonna put it down for a while.  Been stuck at 48 for a week, no matter my deck.  The current zombies are way too efficient for me.   Going Viral has driven me away.  Soo many defeats snatched from the jaws of victory.  Planetary Gladiator with history buff.  Stompadon.  Quickdraw Conman buffed by history buff.  And all of the quick easy cheap routes to brains and brains and brains, then anything from ZomBlob after a bonus attack, to Bad Moon Rising on turn 4.  Whatever.  Plants have been passed by for now.  It has taken the enjoyment away.   So okay.  I will be more productive I guess in real life.  Thanks anyway.  It's a fun game but I guess I'm done.  Was fun anyway.

Message 9 of 24 (838 Views)

★ Guide

Me.

I only use Green Shadow. Now at 46 stars and have never bought anything. Usually make it to ultimate in about a week or two (if i start at diamond).

I can't reveal my deck here but it always consists of 4 captain cucumbers, 2 start fruits and 2 brainanas. There are a few more legendary in it but they don't get used very often.

And I feel your pain bro. I still have troubles especially with the zomblob. That thing should NEVER gain strength from all the brains made in that turn, but rather the amount of brains the zombie has in hand at the time of playing the card.

The only colossal plant I'm using is the umbrella leaf. 

Message 10 of 24 (798 Views)