Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Are People still interested in PVP?

by cake404

Original Post

Highlighted

Champion

Just a reminder: OP especially asked about the opinions of current forum participants.

Info: there is a special feedback section to this forum. If you want to give feedback without discussing it, that might be the better place. (I'm not saying you will be free of discussions there, but usually, there are more and more intense discussions here on the "General Discussion"-forum.)

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 41 of 58 (452 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@frauzet wrote:

Just a reminder: OP especially asked about the opinions of current forum participants.

Info: there is a special feedback section to this forum. If you want to give feedback without discussing it, that might be the better place. (I'm not saying you will be free of discussions there, but usually, there are more and more intense discussions here on the "General Discussion"-forum.)

Correct me if I got the wrong idea but having a discussion and different opinions isn't the issue, otherwise, we wouldn't be here.  The issue I have is when others become rude and aggressive when they hear something they don't agree with or the same topic crops up again.  Discussions are good as long as they remain constructive, otherwise, they are not really discussions anymore.

Message 42 of 58 (434 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@Dawn_Commando wrote:

@frauzet wrote:

Correct me if I got the wrong idea but having a discussion and different opinions isn't the issue, otherwise, we wouldn't be here.  The issue I have is when others become rude and aggressive when they hear something they don't agree with or the same topic crops up again.  Discussions are good as long as they remain constructive, otherwise, they are not really discussions anymore.

The thing is, we've had this discussion here time and time again.
There have been no new arguments I am aware of.
Bringing up the same ones every few days/weeks isn't constructive either.

Message 43 of 58 (417 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@frauzet wrote:

@Dawn_Commando wrote:

@frauzet wrote:

The thing is, we've had this discussion here time and time again.
There have been no new arguments I am aware of.
Bringing up the same ones every few days/weeks isn't constructive either.

True but it doesn't justify rudeness and aggression.  I'm sure there are other ways to deal with the issue, that is if it's really an issue in terms of forum rules violation.

Message 44 of 58 (403 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Dawn_Commando I decided my post would drag this thread further off-topic, so just sent you a PM.

Just another gamer hoping to help.
Love playing RPGs, MMOs, and Action games.
Like watching most other games.

I'm not employed by EA.
Message 45 of 58 (362 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Dawn_Commando wrote:

Yes, it's easier to make PvP games for the reasons you mentioned.  In PvE games, it's easier if assets are borrowed from PvE modes to make PvP ones instead of building from scratch.  Again, PvP in Anthem 2.0 wouldn't happen until the game evolves first and the launch needs to succeed before the game can evolve.  If the game does well and attracts new & old players then the demand for PvP may increase and EA may have a say in the matter, given who they are.

Another thing to consider is while PVP players are selective in what they play, they have a very terrible habit of purchasing multiple sequels from the same franchise, as you indicated.  So loyaltly is a factor in PvP gaming.  That's why franchises like COD, Gear, and Battlefield have ongoing communities.  One of the benefits of having PvP in games as a service is it would get updates without the player needing to buy a new game very year, which would encourage more loyaltly as long the game is updated regularly and well managed.

PvP games are cheaper to make because they don’t require as much asset production like voice acting/cutscene animation/etc. That doesn’t mean quality PvP modes are easy to make. They would take away the game designers’ and playtesters’ attention away from the PvE mode. So unless they have an entire separate team working on the PvP mode, it would impact PvE in one way or another. And if they do have an entire separate team, it would still impact PvE because that’s a chunk of the budget that’s not going towards PvE development – unless PvP can somehow pay for itself.

I’m also kinda lost as to what you think would be the “benefit” of PvP players’ “loyalty” if they don’t have to regularly buy new games in the series. How would PvP pay for itself? Loyalty in a sense of “people will keep playing the game for years” is kinda worthless from the business standpoint if they don’t also contribute to the game financially while at it. Loyalty in a sense of “people will keep throwing money at the game through microtransactions” only works when players have faith that that money will in fact be reinvested into that game’s ongoing development, and I’m kinda skeptical that the PvP community would be interested in doing that, especially for an EA title.

When it comes to live service games, people seem generally reluctant to pay for anything post-launch when the game has an upfront price tag (even if that price tag barely covers the upfront development costs, realistically, much less ongoing development). They might consider paying for specific new content drops, like a sequel or an expansion, because then they understand what they’re paying for. But I’m not sure what that would look like in case of live service PvP. The only thing that comes to mind is selling new maps, but even then people might cry foul.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 46 of 58 (306 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

I would love to see a PvP mode.

From reading some of the posts it seems that there is an overall consensus that PvP is unwanted, however considering that the forum equates to probably 0.1% of the player base I don't think this place is the best location to accurately measure the popularity of a PvP game mode. In game survey maybe?

From a realistic perspective however it's never going to happen as the the level of resources needed to create a quality PvP and PvE simultaneously aren't going to be invested into a failed game. Bare in mind that the Javellins and Maps aren't balanced or designed for PvP, it would need a complete top to bottom rework.

Personally as much as I'd love a PvP, I'd like to see Anthem achieve quality in one format, rather than a watered down PvE and PvP.

At best if the reboot is a stunning success with the PVE on point we might see a small game mode 6v6 implemented if the Anthem team want to test the water. Bit doubtful though.

Message 47 of 58 (274 Views)
Highlighted

I must admit I focused on Anthem during Destiny's last Season of the Worthless and managed to sharpen my javelin's abilities.  I logged back in for Season of the Deprival and played for a bit.

I'm that * who invades with Colony in Gambit.  I'm one of the problems with PVP.

Message 48 of 58 (232 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

YES.

anthem should have pvp

so players with that competitive elitist mindset can actually shutup.

its players like these that have ruined the community bringing some elitist jerkist "World of Warcraft" like mindset to a cool casual game like this and turned off a lot of the player base.

and there are a lot of these social inapts.

I believe PVP would be a great proving grounds for one players knowledge of skill and game play as well as bringing out a few meta builds for various javelins that people are so competitively argueing about and trying to back up with their words but no platform of proving their knowledge and skill when it comes to playing this game.

Message 49 of 58 (209 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@Bretty_Pig_Bink wrote:

YES.

anthem should have pvp

so players with that competitive elitist mindset can actually shutup.

its players like these that have ruined the community bringing some elitist jerkist "World of Warcraft" like mindset to a cool casual game like this and turned off a lot of the player base.

and there are a lot of these social inapts.

I believe PVP would be a great proving grounds for one players knowledge of skill and game play as well as bringing out a few meta builds for various javelins that people are so competitively argueing about and trying to back up with their words but no platform of proving their knowledge and skill when it comes to playing this game.

That's actually an interesting argument 

Message 50 of 58 (190 Views)
Twitter Stream