Apex Legends is officially dead! EOMM

by hhnbbfggty66

Original Post

Re: Apex Legends is officially dead!

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Axs5626Sxa5001lol. That's exactly what SBMM SHOULD do. I agree there may be fault with the algorithms used (I've been put into games against people marked as 300+ levels above me), but SBMM isn't about assuring that YOUR TEAM is comprised of equally skilled players, but that on a PER TEAM basis, it rounds out to about that.

So yeah, you'll get times when you're the best player on your team (and I'm glad to see that rather than remember how you TOO were that pathetic at one point and show some humility, you instead choose to go bashing)

You guys think programmatically determining "skill" is so easy eh? It's just an equation of time played over KDR, right? You don't know the first thing to make any kind of judgment, but please, feel free to keep talking as if you do. Just capturing the right metrics is enough of a challenge; weighing them to equate it all to a simple metric of skill is easier said than done.

Message 21 of 75 (744 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Aegis_KleaisOPs grievance is pretty valid imo and it's not about going bashing but having team members who are reasonably competent so everyone can enjoy the match.

Why should a player with hundreds of hrs have to carry sub level 100's who don't know what a purple armour is constantly when all they'll do is wander off and die instantly, basically forcing you to always play solo.

It isn't that hard not to put sub 100s into the same lobby as predators but if I'm wrong then feel free to educate me as to why it's so difficult.

Message 22 of 75 (725 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Aegis_KleaisI actually would like to know the specific metrics that Respawn/EA uses for their SBMM. I know they haven’t shared much on the matter.

Perhaps you’re more knowledgeable than the bulk of people here— would you be willing to share what you know?

Message 23 of 75 (699 Views)

★ Guide

It wouldn't matter whatever metric they use. People are gonna bash it. They're going to talk as if they have the golden ticket, but truth is that you simply cannot measure skill succinctly. It's not as tangible.

So let's use level as an estimate of skill. You are Level 350 and are tired of getting paired with 50's. But 350 + 50 + 50  = 450, and if you look at the other 19 teams, hopefully their composition means they average 450/team each. However, you want someone commensurate with your skill level. So 3x 350 = 1050. That could mean that you sit in a perpetual hell waiting 20-30 minutes per game as the server aggregates and only allows people of your skill level or higher so as to ensure a team with a fair skill.

The problem here is that the player WANTS solos. You don't want to be dragged down by a team, but you also don't want the challenge of dealing with 3 man teams, each your skill level. There literally will be no pleasing you, so there's no immediate solution to the OP's issue.

Message 24 of 75 (675 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Aegis_Kleais A simple idea for a solution.

Lobby 1 = level 1-100
Lobby 2 = level 101 - 500
Lobby 3 = 500 +

Obviously something coded to protect lower lobbies from smurfs or very good players which can be done several ways but if you are 500+ and still can't handle yourself in a firefight then that player deserves to lose more often and should up their game and change tact in a higher lobby.

If you play a single player and get to a level which is hard then you are forced to figure out how to pass it and not have the game cater for you.

I don't want to play solo in a solo que but I would much prefer an awful level 500 in my team than someone from lobby 1 that doesn't understand the basics of the game.
Message 25 of 75 (668 Views)

★ Guide

Not at all.

Level has nothing more to do with skill than "time played" Even a bad player, who puts enough time into the game, will eventually get to Level 500. This has nothing to do with skill.

Like the ELO system in chess; used to measure a player's prowess in chess. If you're not learning new skills, then you pretty much sit at an ELO level, no matter how much time you put in. Level in Apex is not like ELO. It's more of a "time spent".

Your preferences for teammates aside, if you don't like the randoms your given, the only way around it is via teaming up with friends. Otherwise, you're at the mercy of the SBMM and however it equates skill level in Apex. 

Message 26 of 75 (664 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Aegis_KleaisI was going to put level doesn't equate skill in my first sentence but thought that went without saying.

My point is it would be a more enjoyable experience for all parties if we were grouped with someone who maybe wasn't skilled but knew the basics. It's not fun for a new player in their first week following people here since S1, getting the rez 3 times, fighting 5 squads and doing less than 100 damage and it's not fun for the person who is forced to wipe 3 squads solo and I'm sure many others can attest to that.

Message 27 of 75 (658 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah, I agree, that's not fun for all parties involved. But I'm just saying, it's a harder thing to code for than people might expect.

And the more discerning a matchmaker has to be to put the right type of person with you, the inevitably longer your queue times become. It's a catch 22 in many ways.

Message 28 of 75 (648 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Aegis_KleaisI see where you're coming from but I would gladly wait an extra min or 2 if I knew I would get reasonably competent team mates and one of the main reasons why when I play solo, I do it in ranked as D3 randoms are much better than pubs by far.

Edit: It also forces them not to leave early.

Message 29 of 75 (636 Views)

Champion
@apostolateofDOOM You level lobby idea is quite bad. I'm over 400 and do not for one instant think I'm very good.
Message 30 of 75 (578 Views)