Re: Anyone else have a higher latency inside your own region?

by globallarry

Original Post

Anyone else have a higher latency inside your own region?

★★★ Guide

Due to an influx of work and admist playing other games, I try to come back to GW2 once in a while; however, I find that I have larger latency issues currently in the East rather than both the West and Europe. I actually have to set my current region to the west if I want a ping to be below 60.  Was this because of the update or is this just an issue on my end? Is this affecting anyone else? I restarted the application and rebooted my wifi, but the east comes up higher than other areas.

Message 1 of 8 (913 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Same here for the past couple days.  I thought it was just a fluke.  

Message 2 of 8 (874 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Perhaps EA is dedicating more cloud resources towards the Anthem launch. Perhaps Anthem will have a plant or zombie character customization to make up for the inconvenience.

Message 3 of 8 (845 Views)

Community Manager

While the update shouldn't have caused this, it's not impossible. There can also be stuff like router or network/ISP issues. 

As a test, can you try power cycling your router to see if that has any effect?

Thank you. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 8 (798 Views)

★★★ Guide
That's what i meant by rebooting. I assume it's an initial calculation after I start the application for GW2 on Ps4, as entering a match within my region sometimes has no visible effects (I.e. major lag or shots straying) unlike other regions. Once I exit the match, my ping appears between 40-60 as it normally does. Again it is just upon start-up. I am just wondering if there is a way to mitigate this latency issue from occurring.
Message 5 of 8 (789 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@bobburgers6 nerd.

Message 6 of 8 (772 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@dwooten77 I, too, have this problem.

As for the lag... it was horrible for me in the portal event.  I have a delay on things such as muting a lobby.  The delay is .75 - 1.5 seconds.

Later today, I'll upload some footage with the lag but not sure whether it's noticeable on film (can't tell when I'm pressing buttons versus when the actions occur).

I've all but quit playing multiplayer because of this.

Bring back tacos.

Please.

=]

Message 7 of 8 (758 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Almost forgot to upload this... cleaning out my gallery today and remembered.   https://youtu.be/cdSN0S1kdCI

The lag might not be apparent to someone who doesn't know the game well and without my hands/dualshock visible.  Notice things such as skeletons (death icons) appearing when I vanquish an opponent before the damage/impact of my weapon appears.  Additionally, you'll see a shuck shot fire almost 2 full seconds late and stop in mid air, damage from bullets hitting (or at minimum, splashing) imps that take no damage, a large butter barrage that takes only 18 splash damage from a super brains, a full husk hop that deals zero damage to an imp (I'm guessing this imp had moved already), opponents that die from a bullet I've shot after I'm through a portal door, husk hops that simply don't work, etc. etc....

If you could see my hand movement (picture in picture played simultaneously with gameplay footage), you'd see my crosshairs moving .5 to 2 seconds behind the paddle movement.  I truly could go on and on.

If anyone has troubles noticing this lag, I'll be happy to note times and issues for ya.

This was my last game in this portal event due to frustration with lag and a real bummer because I love deathmatch.  The first few minutes of this match didn't record but I hit multiple opponents (including one imp) with a mech breaker no less than FOUR times (consecutively) and the opponent(s) didn't die.  If it wasn't for ability spam, I don't think I'd have gotten any kills and this ruins online play for me.

@EA_David  I have a brand new Nighthawk router and 100mb/100mb fiber cable hard-wired to my PS4.  It doesn't matter whether I cycle my equipment.  I've even had my ISP reset my connections as well as come out and replace all the wiring in my entire house.  Furthermore, I tested the 1000mb connection package for a full week and the lag issues persist.  Simply put... they're horrible servers and I've often found times the EU servers play better for me.  (I'm a HUGE fan of the game and have zero complaints aside from the lag issues... please don't hear me as being rude... love the series altogether).

Message 8 of 8 (710 Views)