Anyone else do a Charge Back on Steam?

by -NME-M0710NM4N

Original Post

Anyone else do a Charge Back on Steam?

★★★ Guide

Just curious if anyone got denied a refund and opted to do a Charge Back. Heard they'll lock your Steam Account and perm ban whatever card you used to purchase the game. For me it wouldn't be too much loss, as non of the games in my account would be missed... but would kind of be a pain in the butt to open another Steam account. Don't have another phone number, so would have to change my current cell # and then also cancel my debit card and have a new one issued with a new #.

This experience has taught me one valuable lesson... don't pre-order and don't even buy a AAA title these days till it's been out a few months first. I literally passed on getting CoD Vanguard cause all I wanted to play was Zombies and it sounded like that mode was going to be an epic fail with almost no content... which it ended up being exactly that. But opted for 2042 cause at least from what I was seeing in Youtube videos... the game look pretty good and solid. Now I see it's quite the opposite and Steam won't refund.

Message 1 of 14 (1,941 Views)

Re: Anyone else do a Charge Back on Steam?

Hero
@-NME-M0710NM4N I don't know about Steam as I don't use their service, but you can receive an account ban from EA for a chargeback. It's not something that I'd recommend doing myself due to that.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator

Message 2 of 14 (1,937 Views)

★★★ Guide
@ElliotLH I would assume you shouldn't get an account ban from EA though if it's through Steam that the charge back is being done? That's why you get ban from Steam... but should't get slapped by both them and EA right?
Message 3 of 14 (1,927 Views)

★★ Guide

@-NME-M0710NM4N wrote:

Just curious if anyone got denied a refund and opted to do a Charge Back. Heard they'll lock your Steam Account and perm ban whatever card you used to purchase the game.

Who says something like that? On Steam, you can return any game as long as you haven't played it for more than 2 hours. And the purchase must be no more than 14 days ago.

With pre-orders, and early access, the time only counts from release. At least in the EU, that is the law here.

Only if someone pays by credit card and simply charges it back, then everything is blocked. But that's what everyone does...

Message 4 of 14 (1,925 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Donidon Yea I was passed both... 3 days passed the 14 days and stopped playing at 156 hrs. Though at least half or probably more were under the Early Access. I was really hoping patches would fix some issues and it hasn't happened. Just wanna play Portal but kind of pointless when they've killed progression since a week before retail release and multiple gameplay ruining bugs still going on in that mode. Not worth anywhere near $95 game... $40... maybe.
Message 5 of 14 (1,921 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I would advice against charge backs in general unless one is prepared to cut all ties with a retailer.

Message 6 of 14 (1,914 Views)

★★★ Guide
@UP_Hawxxeye Yea I mean, I can easily with a few hoops have a new account opened. Just pathetic that 2 1/2 weeks into a games release it's totally unplayable and unenjoyable... yet I'm supposed to be content after dishing out $95? SMFH
Message 7 of 14 (1,905 Views)

★★ Guide

@-NME-M0710NM4N wrote:
@DonidonYea I was passed both... 3 days passed the 14 days and stopped playing at 156 hrs. Though at least half or probably more were under the Early Access. I was really hoping patches would fix some issues and it hasn't happened. Just wanna play Portal but kind of pointless when they've killed progression since a week before retail release and multiple gameplay ruining bugs still going on in that mode. Not worth anywhere near $95 game... $40... maybe.

You played 156h a game and want your money back? Wow...

You are not legally and especially morally entitled to a refund. You will be banned from all accounts.

You had an open beta to test. The beta was ripped apart in the press. You knew exactly what you were buying!

Message 8 of 14 (1,895 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@-NME-M0710NM4NWell the main issue with modern launcher based services is that they hold ones game library hostage against such resorts.

Message 9 of 14 (1,894 Views)

Hero
@-NME-M0710NM4N I couldn't say with any degree of certainty, it could be possible due to account linking or everything might be absolutely fine. Ultimately if you want to take the chance then it would need to be your decision.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

AHQ Guardian - Volunteer Moderator

Message 10 of 14 (1,889 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help