[QUESTION] Will there be a Linux version?

by iHatePHP

Original Post

Any Linux Support in Future?

★★ Novice

Hi there,

I really like this game allot, but sadly i cannot play very often because i don't have a windows PC at my disposal. I only have a PC with linux mint 19.1 and was hoping that EA wants to optimize and make APEX playable on linux.

What are your opinions?

Let's make EA hear us!

~Puki

Message 1 of 8 (445 Views)

Re: Any Linux Support in Future?

★★★★★ Guide

I'm an Extreme Linux Geek! Slackware user here! WOopsT!

Linux and gaming, it's been talked about for years and I don't see it happening, which is really sad, considering now how PATHETIC Windows 10 is!

How anyone can think Windows 10 is a good OS is beyond me, there is just so much wrong with it, it's total BS!

When you do Linux right, and you know what you are doing here are the PROS of Linux!

1. More secure!

2. More stable!

3. Faster running OS!

4. No malware/viruses - Many think if it's popular then it will become a problem, malware will never be a problem because of how the system is designed!

5. No blue screens of death, no fragmentation, no file or registry corruption!

Desktops in Linux can lock up, I have seen this happen, but it's quite rare.

I've been running Slackware, let's just say a very long time!

I run only Openbox in Slackware, and in all my Geek years, running many different OS out there, I've never seen anything as fast, or more stable then my Slackware box with Openbox on it, this thing runs circles around anything out there, which is not to pat myself on the back here, it's just to state a fact, that when you run a Linux or Unux distro with only a small Window Manager as your desktop, it is ROCK SOLID and LIGHTING FAST!

For the games that I have played that have Linux support, they have always played better over the Windows version, no comparision at all!

LONG LIVE TUX! WOopsT Standard smile

Message 2 of 8 (425 Views)

★★ Novice
I know right, linux is just so much more stable and secure it's beyond belief why windows is in a higher tier in the gaming market. I have been running linux for quite some time now. Basically since i noticed that my gaming machine has allot of trouble running windows 10. (doesn't everyone's machine) Standard smile . But yeah i'm afraid too that it won't be happening, atleast not in the near future. Windows has like the monopoly in gaming. But good to know there's more people that think the same as i do!

Message 3 of 8 (420 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Since the world of Windows is proprietary and more money standing behind something like this, it was a major driving force.

Linux has always suffered as an Open Source platform, where developers don't see the money in it, and rightfully so, it's harder to make money, when there are people and communities willing to give free to the platform.

Now, fly us ahead years later, and since Windows gained more traction, well, it's always maintained more traction as the preferred platform to develop on.

Will we ever see a shift, hmm, no one knows the future.

A more viable solution for the near future could be OSX, but given the major stupidity in pricing Apple marks up their products, might be the thing that will always hold it back as the next gaming platform on computers.

TUX RULES! Standard smile

Message 4 of 8 (394 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

@xpl0its wrote:

1. More secure!

2. More stable!

3. Faster running OS!

4. No malware/viruses - Many think if it's popular then it will become a problem, malware will never be a problem because of how the system is designed!

5. No blue screens of death, no fragmentation, no file or registry corruption!

1. Security is not a feature, but a process. You can easiliy get a very insecure LInux, if you want to, too.

2. Most of the times, yes.

3. Depends on your scenario...

4. Wrong - otherwise e.g. rkhunter or chkrootkit would not exist. It's entirely possible to have viruses on Linux too, just because nobody really bothered much doesn't mean it's never going to happen.

5. e4defrag - xfs_defrag - btrfs filesystem defrag. All three major file systems have their own blend of dedicated defragmentation tool, because of necessity in certain conditions. And since Linux does use write caching by default, you are going to face file corruption in the event of a power outage, unless you are powering your computer on an UPS.

Message 5 of 8 (375 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

I'm not talking about the OS in anyones hands that has been tampered with, but Pure Vanilla Stock Systems to do comparisions on.

Anyone can screw up anything, that was not the point of the converstion, how these OS perform in the hands of the Inexperienced vs Experienced.

1. Security, I'm talking about the Design of the OS vs Windows, in that it's more secure. You're talking about less secure, in the fact that someone screwed it up.

2.No, not most of the time, all the time Linux is more Stable then Windows, again, you must be thinking about when someone screws up the system and makes it less stable.

3. No it's faster, and since you mentioned "scenario" it appears that you keep looking at the OS from the stand point of what someone has done to it and caused it to not run faster.

4. I'll admit that my reply on the subject of malware was not 100% correct, there does exsit in the wild malware, but it is extremely rare, to the point of being non existent.

5. In Linux the "File System" EXT is still the Standard. EXT4 handles fragmentation and e4defrag is not needed. On the subject of the other file systems, since they are not the Standard Linux File System, I don't refer to them, whatever issues they have, they are still outside the Scope of the Standard Linux File System.

6. I was talking about Registry Corruption, and since you brought up several references in the context of "System Modifications", maybe without realizing it, then you need to do the same for "Write Cache", which is, IF it's Enabled, then we can have the issue...

Anyhow, everything I've said can be found on Google, I don't just make up nonsense replies and spout nonsense, so for whoever doesn't believe it can Google and learn!

I've been running Slackware over 15 years... Wink

PEACE Standard smile

Message 6 of 8 (315 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I'm not talking about the OS in anyones hands that has been tampered with, but Pure Vanilla Stock Systems to do comparisions on.

Anyone can screw up anything, that was not the point of the converstion, how these OS perform in the hands of the Inexperienced vs Experienced.

1. Security, I'm talking about the Design of the OS vs Windows, in that it's more secure. You're talking about less secure, in the fact that someone screwed it up.

2.No, not most of the time, all the time Linux is more Stable then Windows, again, you must be thinking about when someone screws up the system and makes it less stable.

3. No it's faster, and since you mentioned "scenario" it appears that you keep looking at the OS from the stand point of what someone has done to it and caused it to not run faster.

4. I'll admit that my reply on the subject of malware was not 100% correct, there does exsit in the wild malware, but it is extremely rare, to the point of being non existent.

5. In Linux the "File System" EXT is still the Standard. EXT4 handles fragmentation and e4defrag is not needed. On the subject of the other file systems, since they are not the Standard

Linux File System, I don't refer to them, whatever issues they have, they are still outside the Scope of the Standard Linux File System.

6. I was talking about Registry Corruption, and since you brought up several references in the context of "System Modifications", maybe without realizing it, then you need to do the same for "Write Cache", which is, IF it's Enabled, then we can have the issue...

Anyhow, everything I've said can be found on Google, I don't just make up nonsense replies and spout nonsense, so for whoever doesn't believe it can Google and learn!

I've been running Slackware over 15 years... Wink

PEACE Standard smile

Message 7 of 8 (301 Views)

[QUESTION] Will there be a Linux version?

★★★ Newbie

Hi everyone,

I like using Linux. Not only for things like emails or finances, but also for programming and because it's lightning-fast.

That's why I refrain from using Windows for anything that isn't completely necessary (Windows-specific software). I have it tucked away in a small drive partition.

My little brother showed me Apex a few days ago and I like playing it on PS.

Now here's my question: is there any hope for a native Linux version? Like, even the tiniest smither of hope one could hope or dream to acquire?

I fully understand that only a fraction of gamers use Linux as their main OS, but still, even games like OpenRA support Linux completely.

Thanks in advance,

iHatePHP

Message 8 of 8 (319 Views)