Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Anthem's Roadmap is... gone

by cake404

Original Post

[ Edited ]

@jwhitsta wrote:

...too bare bones to be worth playing indefinitely ...

I can't think how many games are able to be played indefinitely.

As of this morning I have only one Challenge remaining (Champion of Tarsis, 80%) so I reckon I'll have finished the game in about 2 weeks. (After around 400 hours played)

I suspect that many who are calling for new content in order to continue playing haven't actually completed the launch game content that's there already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 31 of 75 (294 Views)

Champion

To be fair, I wouldn't call challenges content either.

Challenges are something I usually do along the way while doing what I want to do.

I want to earn coins, so I usually do the daily challenges awarding those.

Apart from that I and my friends do what the majority of us wants to do.

While I play almost every day I don't have the number of hours played some do.

I can understand why people would feel bored.

But if we're honest most of the people with that much playtime would be bored if the game had twice or thrice the content it has.

I guess most if not all of us play the content there is.

We don't think to dip it, playing the first part till it's getting boring before continuing to the rest.

No, we play it all as soon as we are able to. Some take longer to do so than others.

And once we're through with the content we have several choices.

None of them are as much fun as getting new content right away, but that's sadly not one of the choices we have.

We can continue playing, concentrating on the things we like. We can take a break, or we can play less than we did.

We can even decide to move on to another game. And even if we do that we're allowed to come back later when there is more content for us to enjoy.

Now, we can whine and rant, and call the devs names. But what's that supposed to accomplish?

They are already working on new content, even though part of the teams are focusing on fixing stuff and changing things due to player feedback.

Can you imagine what it must feel like to work on something like that and then see all the negativity on the internet?

You're probably doing overtime and someone on the internet claims you're doing nothing at all? Calls you all sort of names? 

Wow, has to be very motivating.

If someone talked to me like that in real life I'd tell them to come back once they'd reconsidered their choice of words.

If you like this game, and if you want it to succeed as so many like to point out, I think it would be a better choice, to give constructive feedback than bashing everything the devs say or do.

Make suggestions, but be realistic about whether and when those might be included.

Not all of us will like all the changes there will come and not all of us will get what we want.

Before the release the internet was full of praise for the devs communication with the playerbase. They experimented with being very open about their work.

That experiment failed.

If you ask me, we failed.

"From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire."

[Robert Frost - Fire and Ice]

I don't work for EA. The opinions I express are my own.
Message 32 of 75 (275 Views)

★★★★ Novice
  1. . Thank you BioWare and EA for making my decision for dragon age so much easier. I haven’t played in about 3 days after that crappy stronghold and now I’m offically out. I’m tired of playing this game and can’t get any higher than 690 due to the craptasic drops in this game. Now you want to give a big F U to people wanting this fame to do better. I’m done with this sorry lazy company and defenders can sit on their thumb and spin as well.
Message 33 of 75 (245 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Quixter wrote:

They are taking a step back and fixing the base game. Seems smart to me. It’s unfortunate that it’s that way but I’m hopeful they can do it.

Oh come on, how do people like you still have the willpower to remain white knights?

How self delusional one have to be to still support BW and EA after everything that has been (not) done?

You're riding a happy train over a canyon, but the bridge construction was moved to later, unannounced date and this train has no breaks.

Fallout 76 looks better content wise then Anthem now and it doesn't seem like F76 is going to slow down, while BW simply run themselves in a wall.

Have you even seen the utter disaster that last twitch stream was?

It was embarrassment after embarrassment on dev part, especially with that purple loot drop and DISCONNECT at the end of stronghold.

Message 34 of 75 (236 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@jwhitsta wrote:

...too bare bones to be worth playing indefinitely ...

I can't think how many games are able to be played indefinitely.

As of this morning I have only one Challenge remaining (Champion of Tarsis, 80%) so I reckon I'll have finished the game in about 2 weeks. (After around 400 hours played)

I suspect that many who are calling for new content in order to continue playing haven't actually completed the launch game content that's there already.

Champion of Tarsis is so good "guy who doesn't work for EA", all the new mechanics, enemies, gameplay... Very different from the "rest" of the game, not grindy at all and very exciting considering how the rewards you get once finishing it completely change how the game feels and encourage you to try new things.

People asking for more content are just crying because they're used to get a full game after paying 60 bucks... Come on guys, it's 2019 and the game has plenty of good stuff to do like:

- collecting echoes.

- staying in a green zone while a green bar charges.

- killing the same 4 enemies again and again.

- opening a cage that has echoes inside.

- collecting pieces of a relic (very different from the echoes one).

- having to start session again because the game crashed or you got the error retrieving pilot data.

Not to even mention how smart, and not lazy at all, is the enemy spawning system.

Message 35 of 75 (233 Views)

@mirkwood22 wrote:
...very exciting considering how the rewards you get once finishing it completely change how the game feels and encourage you to try new things.

Yes, I think so, it's been a while since I've played a game where one useful Masterwork or Legendary gear piece can be a game-changer for your build.

I'd like to see some more content though when it's ready. Standard smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 36 of 75 (221 Views)

★★★ Guide

@SofaJockeyUKWell I mean to be fair challenges aren't exactly content rather than a passive mechanic initially designed as a way of keeping the game entertaining and as a way of keeping thing entertaining while the main content was used as the driving force. With anthem it seems that BioWare is depending on challenges and the concept of replayable content along with the idea of working for max gear and master rolls as the driving forces. While this can in fact work the problem that we run into here is that they have made challenges lacking, as we have multiple challenges that require heavy grind but don't offer any real incentive to do them.

If you look at challenges they generally are based on secondary system and long draw out processes which is as it should be however they suffer in being very inconsistent with their rewards and overall lacking from any sort of real incentive to do. If you look at bigger challenges, such as the Champion of Tarsis, Challenge of Might and Resolve, Exploration master, Monthly Silver and Gold and many other long term challenges that are based on secondary systems, we see challenges that take a lot of work over a extended period of time but lack a reasonable reward. In the Monthly silver where it's 40 daily & 8 weeklies, and gold where it's 80 and 16. that 2 weeks minimum for silver and 3 for gold but yet all we get is enough MW ember to do 4-5 crafting total of items, and that also noting that most people aren't doing much crafting as, most people find their best rolls early on and move into legendary which is a very long and boring grind. If we look at the exploration challenges we see challenges that pay out 800 coin for most, 2000 for the bigger and yet the cheapest thing I've seen in stores is 6000 for entry animations and 23k per a piece of armor to 61 for a set, and that's saying that you haven't already bought them all or aren't waiting for certain armor sets to at some point end up in the store again. The we have champion of tarsis which takes absolutely forever to grind out, only to get 2k coin and blueprints for MW gear which by the time you are getting it is total usesless to you as you are likely looking for leg gear. Now in contrast we also see stuff like the weeklies that are all repeating and paying out the same amount of coin that most challenges top out at which include those that take a long pain staking grind. How does this idea sense. Or the idea that challenge of valor is worth rewards not only twice the coin as might and resolve but also has a awesome unique graphic, where as might and resolve doesn't how does this make sense. Why is it the bigger and harder or late game grind challenges are not out rewarding the little, early on, challenges? Why is these challenges all very inconsistent

Loot we won't get into for very overly stated and explained info.

Then we have the issue of replayable content. Currently all path of glory challenges are the same each cycle or of a very small list of possible challenges that make it feel like they are all the same. The same goes with the legendary missions and contracts all of which seem to always be the same since each of their releases. A person can only do the same small time jobs so many times before the little reward is not worth doing the same cookie cutter objective for the 100th time.

Message 37 of 75 (205 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@frauzet wrote:

And once we're through with the content we have several choices.

None of them are as much fun as getting new content right away, but that's sadly not one of the choices we have.

We can continue playing, concentrating on the things we like. We can take a break, or we can play less than we did.

We can even decide to move on to another game. And even if we do that we're allowed to come back later when there is more content for us to enjoy.

I feel like part of the problem is that some people feel like they’re “keeping the game alive” by putting hours into in even once it’s become boring, because they think EA will pull the plug if they don’t see enough people grinding TM every day.

Ironically, they also talk **** about the game all over the internet and discourage people from putting any money into the game until some arbitrary and unrealistic expectations are met. Which, if anything is going to make EA consider pulling the plug on the game, bad publicity and lack of cash influx is much more likely to do that, than reduced server costs from people not playing.

I mean, I guess it’s understandable when lots of people may have seen games they loved and enjoyed get shut down due to lack of player interest. But I don’t think the same thing applies here. As far as I’m aware, Mass Effect and Dragon Age multiplayer servers are still up. SWTOR took years before they finally shut down the RP-PvP servers that had something like double-digit population from what I heard. And even then, they transferred all the characters over to the two most populated servers, and even implemented toggleable open world PvP instances for regular servers when they did that (even though I’m not sure anyone even does that anymore). Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Spore servers are still up.

It’s EA. They can afford to keep the lights on. They’re not going to pull the plug on a game that just came out, is in the process of being actively worked on, and was planned to be maintained for at least ten years. You can take a break if you want to.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 38 of 75 (201 Views)
Highlighted

Champion

@WPScorpionWind I don’t honestly think they meant for people to grind for the challenges like Champion of Tarsis specifically for the sake of reward. I personally never would. I would assume it’s likely meant to be one of those things where a year later you get the completion notification pop up and look back and go, wow, I’ve really come a long way huh. The low reward is probably specifically to dissuade people from grinding for it for its own sake.

As an aside, I do think that they could probably increase the coin drops by like a factor of five or so. Not because I want to save on shards by grinding for coin (because it still wouldn’t be worth my time to grind for several hours just to save $8.50 or less), but because the players that can’t easily afford dropping cash in the game very often wouldn’t feel like they’re being essentially told to **** off when an armor pack costs 61k and you make something like 2k(?) from the daily and around 15k(?) for the weekly. They’re probably afraid of opportunity losses, but seriously, I’d bet they’re suffering worse opportunity losses from player resentment than they would if they let the players get one or two “free” armor packs per week with coin.

For that matter, I think they could be giving people 500 shards per month for EA Access subscription. Hell, make it 1000/mo for Basic and 2500/mo for Premium. For every person that spends $40/mo or more on shards, that would need to buy shards slightly less often, they could get ten people to get a subscription going. They probably won’t get a ton more people to spend as much on this game as I do unless they fix some fundamental issues with the world economy, but they could likely get a hell of a lot more money than I will ever spend by myself by getting a bunch of people to spend an extra $5/mo on it. But for those people, it may be all they can justify spending on a game. So be generous to them. You’re selling digital goods. It’s not like you’ll run out.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 39 of 75 (192 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@SofaJockeyUK wrote:

@mirkwood22 wrote:
...very exciting considering how the rewards you get once finishing it completely change how the game feels and encourage you to try new things.

Yes, I think so, it's been a while since I've played a game where one useful Masterwork or Legendary gear piece can be a game-changer for your build.

I'd like to see some more content though when it's ready. Standard smile

Wow you could be a politician with that ability on focusing only in what supports your "cause" and avoiding the subjects that don't. Or even better, you could work for Bioware PR!

Message 40 of 75 (170 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help