Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

by MoronicChemistry

Original Post

Betreff: Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

★★★★★ Apprentice

i5-4690K@4.0Ghz / GTX980

Same problem here, and it's was already known during demo ...

Anthem is obviously poorly optimized.

I'd not advise friends to buy this game for now.

Message 21 of 145 (3,440 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

@spikeruled wrote:

I can confirm that with vsync the cpu utilisation drops from 100, but then vsync gives me issues where the fps will drop randomly to 30 unless I disable vsync. What a complete mess.

@spikeruled Doesn't vsync just drop the framerate to a divisor of your refresh rate if the framerate target can't be met? In that case, your overall CPU usage is lowered because the game is now capped at your refresh rate (in this case 60hz), but if that framerate target can't be met, it's lowered to another divisor of 60, so 60 > 30 > 20 > 15 > 12 and so on.

I guess that depends on the type of vsync the game uses, though. If you want to lower CPU usage but don't want to use the game's vsync option, you can use third party software like RivaTuner to set a framerate cap.

I don't work for EA.

Message 22 of 145 (3,437 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yes but the Fos doesn’t go low enough for the game to hit 30, which means it’s an issue of the game not the GPU. When I take vsync off the game jumps from 30 to above 60 instantly.

Message 23 of 145 (3,424 Views)

★ Guide

sounds counter intuitive i know but crank those setting up to high/ultra and see .

on low setting all those fancy shaders and what not on modern GPU's dont get used so the cpu picks up the load doing extra work. raising the graphics may well shift load off the cpu onto the gpu.

Message 24 of 145 (3,410 Views)

★★★ Novice

All Settings are on Ultra... 

Message 25 of 145 (3,407 Views)

★★ Guide

So who has ryzen do have this issue? it seems it affects mostly intel cpus from the number of people that reported here

Message 26 of 145 (3,325 Views)

Re: Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

out of interest, did you try upping your graphical settings. I maxed out my graphics then turned them down with no change to CPU usage nor fps running a 5Ghz i5 9600k... I'm thinking something in the code is screwing with the CPU usage cause it should not bottleneck on that CPU at about 70fps.....

Message 27 of 145 (3,180 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Most of the people in this thread appear to have CPUs which would be expected to run at 100% usage on this game. No matter the usage, if your cpu is running hot it is due to cooling rather than the game. With i9-9900k, 1080ti, 64gb ram I run at about 100fps, cpu sits between 30-50% usage and temps never go above 60 degrees even fully loaded on prime95 heat test. If your cpu is running hot, try reseating it with new thermal paste or if it is overclocked, then turn down the clock/voltage.

For the person with 9700k @ 5ghz running at 100% have you checked to see if your processor is thermal throttling? Your processor is practically the same as mine, but without hyperthreading and I know that without a high end AIO cooler like corsair h150i pro or a custom water loop it will definitely overheat if I am correct in assuming you mean all cores @ 5ghz when stressed rather than single core turbo frequency. If it is throttling down to 2ghz you would get significantly better performance/usage just leaving the processor without an overclock at 3.6ghz.

Message 28 of 145 (3,170 Views)

★★ Guide

With my ryzen 2700x cpu usage is very low 35-45%

Message 29 of 145 (3,161 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yea my fans are going nuts

Message 30 of 145 (3,128 Views)
Twitter Stream