Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

by FatalPrice

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I'll start off by saying I am not having the issue discussed in this thread nor have I in the past with Anthem, I have not had an issue like this in any game after going through the clean install process described below at least once a year.

These are my specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Intel Core i7 4820K @ 3.70GHz, Ivy Bridge-E 22nm Technology

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte)

VS278 (1920x1080@60Hz)   (Asus Monitor w/ drivers installed)

16GB Dual-Channel DDR3

238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series 250GB (SATA (SSD))   (OS Drive)

465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD))   (Anthem Installation Drive)

Sound BlasterX AE-5

For people still having issues with CPU/GPU usage, I read through this and seems most if not everyone having this issue is using an Nvidia card. Make sure you have the latest drivers, easiest way is to have "GeForce Experience" installed on your PC and use it to manage your cards drivers. Even if you already have the latest drivers tell it to install them again. Do a custom Install and a clean install so that no old settings are kept. Only install what you need, for me that is the drivers and the PhysX software, trust me you don't need all the extras like the Nvidia HD Audio, it can cause display driver failures when mixed with other audio drivers, Realtek, Creative Sound Blaster, THX Spatial, Dolby Atmos, etc.

Now restart your PC if needed, then open "Nvidia Control Panel".

First thing we need to set up is under; Display > Change Resolution, make sure your resolution and refresh rate are correct for the monitor you have selected. Scroll down a bit more and select "Use Nvidia Color Settings", set "Desktop color Depth" to "32-bit" and "Output Color Depth" to "8 bpc". Leave "Output Color Format" on "RGB", and under "Output Dynamic Range" select "Full".

Now if you are like me and you want your graphics card to handle some graphics like "Antialiasing" and "Anisotrpic Filtering" on its own outside any games settings for better performance, I have a good global set up that looks nice in every game I have tried so far, allowing the games graphics settings to be lower for things that can be performance heavy sometimes like AA and V-Sync (Yes, in-game V-Sync can make your gfx card chug, strange but it can), while still having the settings maxed out, I know this sounds strange but stay with me.

So still in the Nvidia Control Panel select; 3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings, in order from top to bottom:

Ambient Occlusion: Off

Anisotropic Filtering: 8x   (in any games in-game settings make this 8x or lower, preferably 4x unless you can see a visual difference and just need that 8x)

Antialiasing - FXAA: On

Antialiasing - Gamme correction: On

Antialiasing - Setting: 4x   (in any games in-game settings make this 8x or lower)

Antialiasing - Transparency: Off   (if you have a legacy card you may want this On, if you don't know what that means leave it off)

CUDA - GPUs: All

DSR - Factors: Off   (DSR = Dynamic Super Resolution, if your monitor isn't 4k don't try to pretend it is by turning this on, just leave it off)

DSR - Smoothness: Off

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1

Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA): Off   (if you really want this then use in-game settings for games that support it native, otherwise it's gonna look like trash)

OpenGL rendering GPU: change this from "auto" to your main gfx card, for me it looks like this "GeForce GTX 1060 6GB"

Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance   (otherwise your gfx card will lower its clock speed because it's not getting enough power)

Shader Cache: On   (some games tell you to turn this off, I have never seen it make a difference in the games that do)

Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: Off

Texture Filtering - Negative LOD bias: Clamp

Texture Filtering - Trilinear optimization: On

Threaded optimization: Auto

Triple buffering: On

Vertical Sync: Fast   (leave V-Sync off in games in-game settings from now on unless you experience screen tearing; this is an important step in the process, even if you have G-Sync, Fast sync will often be a better option for frame rate, performance, and avoiding a chugging gfx card than any other V-Sync option in-game option included)

Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames: 1

Next time you launch anthem you should notice a big difference in performance and fps with the game still looking amazing, should shave off a little input lag in any game you play which is a nice plus (only measurable on monitors, TVs are a whole other issue with a ton of their own added input lag.

Let me know if this helps you guys out, I sure hope it does. Low frames are a b****, and high temps are a concern for the longevity of your hardware.

Message 131 of 136 (760 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I tested your configuration but it does not give me any difference. I even went through DDU to uninstall the drivers.
I have exactly the same problem.

I tested other settings in the nVidia panel but it was the same.
For me the problem does not come from the graphics settings, because even while low, I still have these small jerks and the CPU at 100%.

The GPU memory is used at 4.5GB / 8GB and the frequencies are at maximum (sometimes they come down when there is not much action).
Temperature level, the CPU and the GPU are between 50 and 65 ° C, so nothing abnormal.

Thank you anyway.
Bye.

Message 132 of 136 (719 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Time for a text wall.

Anthem Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 1060/ RTX 2060, AMD RX 480
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB

Quite a few of the people reporting this issue with i5-6600k and i7-4790k or lower, your CPU is your bottleneck. i5 CPUs were better for gaming for a while, not anymore, modern games are usually designed to use 2-4 cores with 4-8 threads. i5's are great for single core and quad core usage but if 2-3 cores are being used performance goes down (~23%). i7's are better at using multi-core but see a small performance reduction (~5%) when using all 4 cores, meaning for modern games i7's work better as most games will utilize 2-3 cores leaving 1-2 for windows and background processes.

A few people are listing cards that are below recommended like GTX 760s and 980s, that's your bottleneck, the game seems to have crap optimization for old cards.

Some people are reporting this issue and are saying they have 8GB of RAM, that is half of the recommended requirement for playing anthem, you need more RAM, if you have 8GB with windows already using 2GB then Anthem only has 6GB to work with, Anthem uses 5GB when tabbed out of the game and 6GB+ while playing, that's gonna leave you with frame skipping and input lag in game let alone how slow/unresponsive windows will become at the same time.

For everyone else that has a sufficient CPU/GPU, and plenty of RAM to play the game with, I have no guaranteed solution for you. Check your bios, turn off anything related to OC, for Intel CPUs make sure "hyper-threading" is on, and that "core virtualization" (sometimes just called "virtualization" depending on your bios) is off. Allow auto voltage for your CPU but don't let it OC or go below the base-clock voltage. If your bios allow it, tell it to always have your CPU active (minimum usage of 1% or something) so it never fully parks.

If you know what "unparking" is and you have unparked your CPU in the past with "Disable CPU Core Parking Utility" (from Coder Bag), open up that utility again and disable it, let your CPU park it's cores again, some modern games are designed to use the parked cores, unparking them only for the game and the time it's played, re-parking them after. If you already have 3/4 cores (6/8 threads) unparked the game may only be able to use the 2 remaining threads in 1 core.

If you are using MSI Afterburner when you play, turn it off and see if that makes a difference, in some games it can cause a huge performance loss, not sure why.

Trying to help guys, give me more info if you can, system specs, drivers, have you UWT'd your OS, removing Cortana and all the other garbage that takes away from performance that is stock in Windows 8+. Do other processes like Origin have increased CPU usage (for origin it should be 5% or less) at the same time as Anthem. Does your CPU already idle at an abnormally high usage percentage (sitting on the desktop with several chrome windows open, steam, origin, razer central, and sound blaster connect 2, I'm at 2% CPU usage. If a launch anthem on top of that I peak while actively playing the game at 72% CPU usage. If you are idling higher than 5% CPU usage something is wrong). If you check Event Viewer in windows while playing anthem does it give any warnings, errors, or criticals (excluding "DistributedCOM" errors, and "e1iexpress" warnings).

There's just so much s*** that can cause this CPU 100% usage issue (including poor optimization for recommended requirements and below) it's mind-boggling, keep feeding info.

Message 133 of 136 (2,312 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hello,

My "bottleneck" is my CPU i5-4670K (@ 4.5GHz), but the game at minimum recommends an i5-3570 (3.4GHz).
It is therefore not normal that the game has jerks with all the graphic options at minimum during my tests.

For information, I do not know if the developers have touched something on this side with Cataclysm, but by turning off the Vsync I have a lot less jerking.
As long as it's hard ...

Message 134 of 136 (346 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

I have the same CPU. i7-8700K. I have turbo boost on, so the processor decides if/when to overclock itself. I have a H115i liquid cooler on it with two 140mm Noctua Industrial fans that go up to 3000 RPM. I have the same issue with Anthem now. I haven't played it in months, but I just tried again today and it is crashing my computer. My graphics card is a liquid cooled GTX 1080 TI FTW3, so my computer like yours is plenty powerful to handle anything. I never had a problem with the game before as far as it letting me play, but now it looks like it might be overheating my CPU or just heavily tasking the processor to the point where it crashes and I get the blue screen of death.

I play mostly Overwatch and it only uses like 10% of my CPU. I know the graphics are not as good as Anthem, but I wouldn't expect it to max out 6 cores. Another user on this forum said he had the same issue on a i7-9700k @ 5.0GHz. One thing i've noticed on some Steam games is that although some of their games aren't optimized well. Empyrion is a game my brother plays on my computer and I only get like 24fps max. When looking at the game it doesn't look nearly as nice as other high end games. They released a patch down the road that helped a bit more so we get at least 60fps now, but maybe there is some type of optimization issue with Anthem that since a recent update as caused it to stop working properly.

I'm in one of those bored moods where I decide to log back into Origin to play Battlefront, Mass Effect, Anthem, Apex, etc. And sure enough I have nothing but problems every time I try. I don't know why I still buy EA games.

Message 135 of 136 (173 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I've had lag spikes due to 100% CPU utilizations issues.

During my investigations of my own system i realised that the ASUS RGB (AURA) system was going nutz.
I've tested all versions through, from alpha to the latest releases.

They all, for some reason, eat up my CPU like a pancake.

My Personal recommendation:
If you have Aura RGB stuff running on your system (for motherboard or asus strix products) or anything similiar, check it out when you get lag spikes.
It may be messing up your system during gameplay.
(It's not always happening so don't check after a clean boot)

I experienced issues with:
- CAM lighting system interfering with G.Skill lighting

- G.Skill lighting interfering with Asus Aura

They all seem to have issues with each other.

So for testing purposes:

Uninstall
- G.Skill RGB
- Asus Aura RGB

Sidenote:
Anthem still kills my 7700k, but my lag spikes are mostly gone.

Please also note that this is my personal experience and that i'm only telling you to take a closer look at it.

I also want to add that i have similiar lag spikes when playing BFV

I think the Frostbite engine has some serious issues, because i've tested my system through and through and always came to the conclusion that these games are simply not capable to run without some sort of image hickups.

I repeat:
Most of my performance issues are gone since the removal of RGB software.

Message 136 of 136 (135 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help