Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

by MoronicChemistry

Original Post

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ajsbxp/no_spoilers_anthem_extremely_high_cpugpu_usag...

Please read this Reddit thread as it pertains to the issue and is FULL of HUNDREDS of users that are having similar issues with a a variety of hardware combos.

This game uses 100% of the CPU in menus, load screens and game play. It is clearly poorly optimized and its going to break our hardware. I have all of your settings set to LOW and all extra graphics settings are set to OFF. Demo or not this looks bad. I should be able to run this game on Ultra and clear 60 frames but its going to melt down my cpu running all the cores at 80 and 90 degrees for any length of time. I hope that Anthem Devs are working to patch this issue as it is currently unsafe to play in this state.

Update: Things are not looking good for Anthem. Not only is the PC port poorly optimized it appears that the PS4 version is doing some damage to the console. From what I can tell none of the devs are commenting at all regarding resource usage. Ask anyone in the development world what this means and they will tell you "Bad Code!" or poor implementation of the code. 

Specs
i7 7700k (No OC)

Asus Strix 270F 
32g 3000mhz Trident Z ram (No OC)
GTX 1070 ICX SC2 (Out of Box OC)
Corsair H100i v2 Cooler

Message 1 of 136 (23,238 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Anthem on PC using 100% CPU

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Time for a text wall.

Anthem Recommended Requirements

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 1060/ RTX 2060, AMD RX 480
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 4096 MB

Quite a few of the people reporting this issue with i5-6600k and i7-4790k or lower, your CPU is your bottleneck. i5 CPUs were better for gaming for a while, not anymore, modern games are usually designed to use 2-4 cores with 4-8 threads. i5's are great for single core and quad core usage but if 2-3 cores are being used performance goes down (~23%). i7's are better at using multi-core but see a small performance reduction (~5%) when using all 4 cores, meaning for modern games i7's work better as most games will utilize 2-3 cores leaving 1-2 for windows and background processes.

A few people are listing cards that are below recommended like GTX 760s and 980s, that's your bottleneck, the game seems to have crap optimization for old cards.

Some people are reporting this issue and are saying they have 8GB of RAM, that is half of the recommended requirement for playing anthem, you need more RAM, if you have 8GB with windows already using 2GB then Anthem only has 6GB to work with, Anthem uses 5GB when tabbed out of the game and 6GB+ while playing, that's gonna leave you with frame skipping and input lag in game let alone how slow/unresponsive windows will become at the same time.

For everyone else that has a sufficient CPU/GPU, and plenty of RAM to play the game with, I have no guaranteed solution for you. Check your bios, turn off anything related to OC, for Intel CPUs make sure "hyper-threading" is on, and that "core virtualization" (sometimes just called "virtualization" depending on your bios) is off. Allow auto voltage for your CPU but don't let it OC or go below the base-clock voltage. If your bios allow it, tell it to always have your CPU active (minimum usage of 1% or something) so it never fully parks.

If you know what "unparking" is and you have unparked your CPU in the past with "Disable CPU Core Parking Utility" (from Coder Bag), open up that utility again and disable it, let your CPU park it's cores again, some modern games are designed to use the parked cores, unparking them only for the game and the time it's played, re-parking them after. If you already have 3/4 cores (6/8 threads) unparked the game may only be able to use the 2 remaining threads in 1 core.

If you are using MSI Afterburner when you play, turn it off and see if that makes a difference, in some games it can cause a huge performance loss, not sure why.

Trying to help guys, give me more info if you can, system specs, drivers, have you UWT'd your OS, removing Cortana and all the other garbage that takes away from performance that is stock in Windows 8+. Do other processes like Origin have increased CPU usage (for origin it should be 5% or less) at the same time as Anthem. Does your CPU already idle at an abnormally high usage percentage (sitting on the desktop with several chrome windows open, steam, origin, razer central, and sound blaster connect 2, I'm at 2% CPU usage. If a launch anthem on top of that I peak while actively playing the game at 72% CPU usage. If you are idling higher than 5% CPU usage something is wrong). If you check Event Viewer in windows while playing anthem does it give any warnings, errors, or criticals (excluding "DistributedCOM" errors, and "e1iexpress" warnings).

There's just so much s*** that can cause this CPU 100% usage issue (including poor optimization for recommended requirements and below) it's mind-boggling, keep feeding info.

View in thread

Message 133 of 136 (2,349 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice

Also having the issue, CPU is 80-90%.. Turned gfx setting to ultra and to low and everything in between. Nothing seems to help. I have 0 issues running any other game on ultra-high. 

Specs:

i5-6600k@3.5ghz

16gb Ram Corsair

Geforce GTX 1070 8gb

Liquid cooled NXT case

Windows 10

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Message 2 of 136 (23,167 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
Same problem here! 100% CPU usage and high temperature around 90-95C.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
RAM: Hyperx 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB
SSD: Samsung EVO 860 500GB
Windows 10 Home
Message 3 of 136 (23,159 Views)

★★★★ Novice

100% cpu usage should only happen on loading screens. It has to do with the game running at 2000+fps (mine personally hits 2800 fps with min settings) turn V-sync on and your cpu usage should plummet.

After turning V-Sync on I'm sitting at 30-50% cpu usage (Which is still incredibly high but at least it's not 100%)

Hope it helps

Message 4 of 136 (23,109 Views)

★★★★ Novice

i7 7700k (no OC)

RTX 2070

16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400MHz

got the same issue, usage is always above 85+ goes down to like 70-75 if i alt-tab out of the game

Message 5 of 136 (23,018 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Same here! 
PC:
RTX 2070
I5 7600
8GB ram

100% CPU, fps go up and down rapidly. Low or Ultra settings doesn't matter, exactly the same result.

Message 6 of 136 (22,941 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Newbie

Extremely high cpu usage here aswell.

i7 4790k

1080p all low settings. 

(even with fps capped at 60)

Message 7 of 136 (22,893 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Someone in another thread suggested turning on v-sync, which I did, and it actually seemed to help! I went from 99-100% on both CPU and GPU to more like 70-80% most of the time. He seemed to attribute this to the game getting crazy high FPS in things like menus, I guess "try hard" problems.

There still obviously seem to be issues with the game itself, but this might help.

Message 8 of 136 (22,862 Views)

★★ Novice

i'm only running between 30% - 50% with the highest reported being 52.5% with an average of around 40%. graphics settings set to high. I have also tried low settings with no change in cpu draw.

I7-6700K 4.0ghz

32gb Corsair dominator platinum

Sapphire R9 480 Nitro OC 1342mhz

1080p @ 60hz 

Message 9 of 136 (22,834 Views)

★★ Novice

@Onishion wrote:

He seemed to attribute this to the game getting crazy high FPS in things like menus, I guess "try hard" problems.

this is very possible. i get 12000+ fps (or at least the uplay & steam FPS counters say so) in startup loading screens when i play the division. my cpu spikes when this happens as well but don't think it hits 100%, i'll have to check though.

Message 10 of 136 (22,826 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help