Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Anthem difficulty

by militarymisfit

Original Post

Highlighted

Anthem difficulty

★★★ Apprentice

Hello there,

I came here to speak about difficulty, to tell you what i would like to see in Anthem.

I love high risks/high reward systems, and difficulty where mostly the players skills matter.

By this, i mean that even with a bad gear a boss will be doable, just longer and will let less room for mistake.

For example, i expect 4 man content to be doable for 1 player (without downscaling ennemies), and to get a better reward because it is a challenge.

I dont mind if a fight is going for an hour, kitting around the forest and being nervous facing beasts, trying to both survive and kill the boss, because i like it Standard smile.

To be honest, if the game lack of this kind of content, i'll probably get bored very quickly.

Here are examples of games that have some of the properties i listed before : Soulworker, Blade and Soul, Guildwars2

Do you plan to add this kind of content to Anthem even if the whole game is not balanced this way ?

Message 1 of 6 (5,784 Views)
Highlighted

It's a good question. In a multiplayer match you can have different difficulty settings but how do you do that when the entire game is 'live',

You can't have a squad playing together on different difficulties.

And playing solo can't be brutal for all as some will want to play solo more casually.

Perhaps it can be determined by zone or quests of varying difficulty.

You can play those gauntlets of death which others may wish to level up or attempt with friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 2 of 6 (5,754 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Apprentice
You can't have a squad playing together on different difficulties.
-> that's why usually it's the party leader who set difficulty level.

And playing solo can't be brutal for all as some will want to play solo more casually.
-> ofc, but you can tell AI of the game to adapt dynamically difficulty based on each player performances and total party performance.

Perhaps it can be determined by zone or quests of varying difficulty.
-> i dont know, i hope we'll have more information on difficulty balance until it comes out.
Message 3 of 6 (5,736 Views)
Highlighted

★★ Novice

Great question, 

I think having the leader of the co-op set diffuculty works well because a single player can still compete but it'll take much longer. Once campaign is complete, I'd like to see an option to make missions to highest end game power level. Even throughout story having an option to set mission and enemies to a harder level. Just some thoughts. 

Message 4 of 6 (5,692 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

It's a really hard question to answer without knowing how the world will work. What I mean is we don't even know if the world will be persistent for example.

Difficulty levels by themselves are a good thing because what's challenging is different for different people. At the same time though it also divides the player base into groups. So there's pros and * to each way of doing it.

Personally I would prefer to have difficulty settings because a game that is too easy overall gets boring quickly. And since player skill will vary wildly you have to cater to various groups or you'll lose a lot of players.

How they will do this will be interesting to find out, if indeed they will do it. Luckily E3 is not that far away so hopefully then we'll get some information that gives at least a better idea of how the game will be set up.

Message 5 of 6 (5,687 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★ Newbie

If you scale a boss or zone off the party leader, parties will just have the lowest level person create the party or select them as the leader to make the fights easier. Maybe just have "bosses" set at a certain difficulty. If you cant beat a creature, for what ever reason, then maybe you don't need to fight that creature alone. Some creatures you just might not be able to solo, and whats wrong with that? Why should everything be solo-able? Yes you might have the skills to counter the difficulty of some creatures, but not every creature, so fight the ones you can. Meanwhile, if it takes a group of four to take down a beast that you can solo, then they're ultimately getting less loot because they have to split it four ways. So the "skilled" player still wins. Most of the people i know that solo bosses in any MMO style game (me included) are able to do so by "cheesing it" by finding areas where they can go while the boss cant but where they can still shoot them or other little glitches like that. 

Message 6 of 6 (5,588 Views)
Twitter Stream