Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Anthem: cover system implementation

by OdysseyHome

Original Post

Anthem: cover system implementation

★★★★ Novice

I enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda immensely and I like how many game mechanics are mirrored in Anthem, one excellent mechanic element missing from Anthem is a cover system. A cover system would actually lend more gameplay strategy to the game and add a sense of realism and 'gravitas', which is the way Anthem should go and leave out wacky, juvenile elements, such as dances and poses and things of that sort. 

And by the way, do not stop working on Andromeda, a lot of people liked that game and would like to see Andromeda live through so much unjust bad rep. There were indeed some issues but there were very minor, and most of them were addressed on the updates I believe. A second part or at least some DLC Would be totally awesome.

Message 1 of 17 (325 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Absolutely not. Cover shooters like The Division are worse off because of the need to constantly hide behind cover. It arbitrarily slows down the game and encourages camping and non-active gameplay styles. Part of the allure of Anthem is flying around in wide open environments and you want us to need to hide behind walls? Just go play that toxic wasteland that is The Division. I always thought the Mass Effect games were *, and the elements from those games that's in Anthem make Anthem a worse game. 

Message 2 of 17 (294 Views)

★★ Pro

Its not a cover shooter game, plenty of cover shooters out there if that's your desire. EA/Bioware have already said they didn't want a cover/shooter, they wanted a game that you felt heroic in amongst the mobs, not hiding behind cover.

Message 3 of 17 (267 Views)

★★★★ Novice

^ this guy knows.

No cover system in Anthem, please.

Message 4 of 17 (259 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

No thanks if I wanted a stick to cover games there are other options zero desire to play them.

Message 5 of 17 (252 Views)

★★★★ Guide

This is an action combat game, not a cover combat game. We don't want no stinking cover combat system.

Message 6 of 17 (235 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Google "Dark Void" and watch some gameplay about why a cover system isn't the best idea for a flying man game.

The flight mechanics in Anthem sorta serve as a cover system. You move faster than sprinting, you're air dash prevents enemies from shooting you; you can zip around walls, fly over them, hover around pilons: so cover is a big thing in this game, you just don't need a contextual button to do it.

I've been meaning to try Andromeda but I skipped ME3 due to work life unbalence at the time, so motivation was low. I wouldn't hope for DLC since support for the game ended after the bug fixes

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/17/bioware-boss-not-releasing-andromeda-dlc-was-a-defining-...

Here's hoping Mass Effect does make a comback when it's ready to do so!

Message 7 of 17 (221 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

They need to fix the current "cover system"

If you take refuge behind an object and fire back, even though your reticle is unobstructed, even though your target can still shoot you...for some reason your bullets cannot get past the rock your taking cover behind.  They just hit some invisible extension of the object you're using for partial cover.

Message 8 of 17 (162 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Novice
I have this issue with grenade launchers. Line it up but the projectile bounces off the environmental props... Lol!

But I've seen this in other games like head glitching in COD.

I wonder if it's error of paralax due to the camera's over the right shoulder offset?
Message 9 of 17 (119 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@ragnarokfps wrote:

Absolutely not. Cover shooters like The Division are worse off because of the need to constantly hide behind cover. It arbitrarily slows down the game and encourages camping and non-active gameplay styles. Part of the allure of Anthem is flying around in wide open environments and you want us to need to hide behind walls? Just go play that toxic wasteland that is The Division. I always thought the Mass Effect games were *, and the elements from those games that's in Anthem make Anthem a worse game. 

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I'm curious. What makes you call the Division a toxic wasteland? I'm currently playing The Division 2, and I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the "Game of the Year 2019". You can PM me to keep the thread clear if you like. :-)

Message 10 of 17 (111 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help