Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Anthem Loot System will it be like Destinys?

by DrakenWolfe

Original Post

Anthem Loot System will it be like Destinys?

★★★ Apprentice

One of my biggest concerns with Anthem is that the loot system will be similar to destiny 2. For example will I get 80 edge transits all below the level of my character making the weapon absolutely useless except to get a better roll. This system was extremely frustrating because there would be no point to be out in the field unless there was a weekly milestone for the planet. As soon as you finished the weeklys there was no point to continue anymore and would have to wait week after week. My hope is that anthem will make loot maybe equal to your current or above. Least if its equal you can experiment and see what really is better without having to constantly drop your power.

Message 1 of 10 (636 Views)

★★ Guide

This stream will cover a lot of the loot and progression 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHW9bmaZqLI&t=777s

Message 2 of 10 (631 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

ive watched that stream and it explains raritys and rolls but doesn't actually discuss the power of the loot that drops

Message 3 of 10 (625 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide

I'm hoping the loot and progression systems will be completely different from Destiny.  I've been playing Destiny for almost 4 years, and that progression system is punishing.  The way Destiny was left is not too bad, but D2 is horrific.

Progression should be tied to experience and activities completed in the game, not luck or some random number.  That's not to say that you should get some fancy reward every time you fly over the wall, but you should never feel as if you are wasting your time.

If an activity provides you with something that forwards your progress (strength, level, power, etc) the activity has meaning and purpose.  If it's also fun, BOOM!  You have a successful game.

If an activity is fun, but provides nothing in terms of progression, it stops being fun very quickly.

Regardless of what system we have at launch, I simply hope that BioWare is willing to work with the community to evolve that system into something that works as well as possible for as many as possible.

Message 4 of 10 (570 Views)

★★★ Guide

@CoUF_ShadowJav: We know that the loot drops will be tied to the level of your pilot. You can also ignore picking up loot if you want, and anything above a certain threshold will be mailed to you so that you do not miss it. Heavily dependent on how the crafting system works (which will apparently output a fixed 'tier'), you could also potentially break down less useful stuff into crafting more useful stuff for your character.

It kind of is dependent on how you are meaning your question. If, say, you are level 30 and to pull a random number out of a hat have '300 power', I would be shocked if all gear dropped was focused on 'being for the gear of someone with 300 power' because that may mean that all gear being dropped would have to be blues/purples/whatevers, and it would mean that the rate of progression is almost exponential, as getting one piece that drastically increases power level would make ALL of your pieces very quickly upgrade. I would imagine more so that it's all focused on "this is gear appropriate for a level 30", and then you can focus on what is 'meaningful' drops by doing things like higher difficulties, and I *THINK* I saw a '+Luck' piece on some gear in the stream. 

@DrakenWolfe: The question becomes: Is that progression guaranteed or otherwise? Like, every time you do the activity, are you expecting to get a meaningful reward, or what tolerance do you have to being dependent on RNG? 

Ideally what things should lean towards is essentially giving 'badges' or some sort of points that can be redeemed in turn for stuff, so even when you don't 'get what you want', you're able to select what you want or otherwise obtain value from doing an activity. I am QUITE SURE that they've talked about there being various factions in the game, so that may be an opportunity for them to capitalize on that - wherein grinding activities will get you reputation that allows you to buy things at a reliable price, or what not.

This all conjecture, but the tricky thing is balancing the idea of what people have come to expect from solo RPGs wherein things can have guaranteed drops and completions because there's an easily discernible end, versus the need of a long term life cycle of an online game.

Message 5 of 10 (560 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Viperions0

Your final paragraph sums it up perfectly. As long as that balance is there (as close as possible) players will feel rewarded, but not so quickly as to render progression irrelevant in the opposite extreme.

The idea of earning something that can be used for crafting opens the door to a lot of interesting economy ideas.

Message 6 of 10 (541 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The problem with Destinys loot system is precisely because of how all drops are based off of your current item level and the limits they put on the amount of time you could look for said items.  It gave the feeling of A. Progression didnt matter at the end B. You were getting robbed with lower pwr drops and C. You were playing a F2P game with stamina but they forgot to add the stamina micro transaction in.  Anthem unfortunately seems to have taken some Destiny esque loot drop qualities, limiting rarity to pilot level and difficulty.  Fortunately they didnt add limiting factors so you can grind it non stop (at least so far), which will work to reward your time investment.  RNG, while annoying sometimes, actually makes for amazing gameplay.  The gratification you recieve after finding an item after grinding 20 hours is far greater than if its handed to you 1 hour in.  Furthermore it extends the games playability and adds a difficulty in reaching end game content that games like Destiny sorely lack.  Rambling aside, it would be a HUGE mistake to make all drops equal to or better than your current equipment.  Makes leveling seem like a gimme, especially when adding the already controlled loot rarity to pilot level.  Would mean everyones always at the same level all the time no matter what... and that sounds boring, we all want to feel overpowered every now and then Wink. Theyd serve themselves well removing power levels from items and just letting their loot be tiered based on difficulty or content.

Message 7 of 10 (442 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I didnt really get alot of duplicates while playing.. I seriously hope there is no edge transits in Anthem.. Though there is a safe guard for poor RNG in this game, with a crafting system.. so if you dont get that weapon you really want, you can get a blueprint and make it your self.

Message 8 of 10 (416 Views)

★★ Pro

@IFoxxian wrote:

I didnt really get alot of duplicates while playing.. I seriously hope there is no edge transits in Anthem.. Though there is a safe guard for poor RNG in this game, with a crafting system.. so if you dont get that weapon you really want, you can get a blueprint and make it your self.

I got a few duplicates but just kept the one with what I considered to be the best roll and de'ed the others for bits. The random rolls are awesome, I have no doubt I will find a fave then go for a god roll. I also liked that even if had ones equipped on a Javelin they were available for the other Javelins when you jumped in them, so much better than having to switch stuff around from one unit to another.

Anthem should make a unique gun called Edge Transit and you can only get it once and once only, put awesome rolls on it of course, it would give me a laugh.

Message 9 of 10 (384 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Haruchai01 wrote:

@IFoxxian wrote:

I got a few duplicates but just kept the one with what I considered to be the best roll and de'ed the others for bits. The random rolls are awesome, I have no doubt I will find a fave then go for a god roll. I also liked that even if had ones equipped on a Javelin they were available for the other Javelins when you jumped in them, so much better than having to switch stuff around from one unit to another.

Anthem should make a unique gun called Edge Transit and you can only get it once and once only, put awesome rolls on it of course, it would give me a laugh.

There are actually no random rolled weapons in Anthem.  The difference in getting better weapons is power, and legendaries and masterworks offer a single unique perk.  But all base states are the same, but will of course get better with power.  lol  That would be a funny jab at Destiny 2... I honestly wouldnt mind seeing that, and of course I would promptly delete it.. no more edge transits...please no..

Message 10 of 10 (374 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help