Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Anthem: Improve or scrap?

by HabringerBlack

Original Post

Anthem: Improve or scrap?

★★★★ Novice

Like many other gamers I was stocked to get my hands on Anthem after it was first announced. I preordered the Legion of Dawn edition. I got a sold 2 hours of game play on launch while the game was downloading and after that.... Nothing. My rig kept crashing on game boot up. Several EA Techs tried to help me fix the error but 5th try's the charm when I was told my gear was beneath the required minimum standards. My rig is no hunk of junk that I got for $200 second hand, I built this baby from the ground up with only the best back in 2013 and it can handle most games even today pretty well. So I did some digging.

I asked myself was Anthem really worth spending to money to overhaul my PC for a newer model. The Reviews say its a disaster, buggy, slap-shot, poorly written. And from what I've seen in my digging the whole thing is true. The team working on it had terrible leads with no direction that forced some pretty stupid standards on everyone working on the project. Now I'm not blaming the hard working men and women that built the game from the ground up with blood, sweet, tears, and ungodly work hours. The blame falls on the heads of the project that took no advice, demanded to much and gave nothing back, and ran the whole project blind.

What I want to know from EA is this.

Will they pulls their heads out of their collected * and salvage this disaster or will the drop it by the wayside and repeat the same mistakes over and over again?

The story is almost completely cookie cutter action 101. The mechanics are a rip off of Destiny, and the whole thing is buggy, and taxing on most rigs its played on. This whole game needs a massive overhaul with something that will make it stand out other than the graphics. Better mechanics, unique playability, and a story that even an author like me can really sink my teeth into, these are all a good place to start.

So is EA up to the challenge? Are they willing to listen and learn? Can they Salvage this catastrophe of a game that's already lost half its player base?

Message 1 of 19 (477 Views)

Re: Anthem: Improve or scrap?

★★ Guide

I dont get the Anthem and Destiny comparison.  I played Destiny, and while I can see the similarities they have, this game defiantly does not look, feel, or play like destiny.  Other people seem to think otherwise though, so maybe I'm missing something.

You put a lot on EA on this one.    I think what happens with this game is up to Bioware more than EA.  If this game makes money, and so far it has, I imagine EA will let Bioware do whatever they want with it.

Message 2 of 19 (466 Views)

★ Apprentice

what is with the entitled player base thinking they understand how to run a business?

ill be honest, i stopped reading once you mentioned your rig was state of the art back in 2013... what did you expect to happen? my rig was a medium end purchase back in 2016 and it has some struggles, this is the first game I cant run on full ultra graphics... honestly, if you understand enough about computers to custom build one for yourself then you shouldnt need to have the reason why a 6 year old rig isnt going to run a current gen game.

Message 3 of 19 (450 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@HabringerBlack wrote:

My rig is no hunk of junk that I got for $200 second hand, I built this baby from the ground up with only the best back in 2013 and it can handle most games even today pretty well. So I did some digging.

Wha? You try to run the game on a toaster then when it fails, you "start digging" to prove its the game's fault? Wha?

Message 4 of 19 (410 Views)

★★ Guide

yea.. worry about where your own head is if you are trying to run a modern "AAA" game on a 6 year old rig.

Message 5 of 19 (402 Views)

★★★★ Guide

Cut their losses and scrap.. Seriously or at least close it down and redo it in a few years.. like they did with the Final Fantasy mmo.

Message 6 of 19 (381 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@W2RD-1982 

Well... yeah... what with the higher ups being so allergic to the name Destiny, ofc it's gonna be different.

Oh wait-

Spoiler

Looter Shooter

1 melee skill

1 grenade skill

1 ult skill

tank class

mage class

assassin/ hunter class

bullet sponge enemies

light/ power level gear scaling

Sure it made money from false advertising, but that's that.... a short term profit, which for a "live service" game is just pathetically oxymoronic. People can create a narrative in their mind that Anthem is incomparable to Destiny/ Warframe/ Borderlands all they want but fact remains that anything Anthem offers, other looter shooter games have done far better.

Message 7 of 19 (369 Views)

★★ Pro

@Arcova wrote:

@W2RD-1982 

Well... yeah... what with the higher ups being so allergic to the name Destiny, ofc it's gonna be different.

Oh wait-

Spoiler

Looter Shooter

1 melee skill

1 grenade skill

1 ult skill

tank class

mage class

assassin/ hunter class

bullet sponge enemies

light/ power level gear scaling

Sure it made money from false advertising, but that's that.... a short term profit, which for a "live service" game is just pathetically oxymoronic. People can create a narrative in their mind that Anthem is incomparable to Destiny/ Warframe/ Borderlands all they want but fact remains that anything Anthem offers, other looter shooter games have done far better.

I don't agree, hence why I am here playing this and not them. Purely subjective stuff, hardly an argument.

Message 8 of 19 (357 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@HabringerBlack 

Specs on your rig? Also, it's not just the hardware, what's going on in the background?

@W2RD-1982 

EA pulled a lot of the BW developers off Anthem during development for other games, that didn't help. They also lacked clear leadership for a good 1-2 years as well.

Personally, I am hoping they fix it, seems as if they are trying to take it seriously.

Message 9 of 19 (333 Views)

★★★★ Novice

All of the people that seem to be defending this game are sub players and most didn’t purchase the game. 

It’s generally well accepted that this was an absolutely trash game, no content very repetitive and just buggy as heck.

people can’t seem to handle hearing that this game is bad and most are not happy with it. What do the haters do when you make a valid point and they don’t agree ? The tell you to play it on something other than “a toaster”.

Message 10 of 19 (316 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help