Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Another 6 months before the next content drop...?

by daemontonio

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@ChiraaKitteh  No, it doesn’t sound smart. But then again, BioWare hasn’t been making the smartest decisions. As you said, they haven’t mentioned what they’re gonna with the assets regarding cataclysm. Could be a recurring event. Could be converted into something more permanent. But until we know for sure, I’m calling the cataclysm for what it is: temporary content. Fair enough?

Btw, I didn’t ask for the title. I just got it alright? I couldn’t care less about it. It means nothing. But don’t put me in the same bin as those “champions” and “heroes” and such. Don’t like my opinions? Don’t read them. 

Message 31 of 53 (266 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Attica_Blue  So content comes out when it’s ready. Ok got it. When can we expect it? How long a wait? Put yourself in a publisher’s shoes (any publisher). You put out a game with plans of additional dlc updates. So far so good. But for whatever reason the devs will only push it out when it’s ready. If you’re on a schedule with important people breathing down your neck, that’s not a position the publisher would want to be in. They need what you promised them. See, that’s the problem with bioware’s approach to this. They originally had schedule for themselves via the roadmap but then delayed almost everything indefinitely. So we have no idea when we’ll get anything; and I don’t even recall BioWare making any announcement informing players when cataclysm was coming out before the update went live. Nothing they can do about it now, but for any future updates, if there’s going to be any, they can handle it way better.

Message 32 of 53 (257 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@Silversurferguy wrote:

@Attica_Blue  So content comes out when it’s ready. Ok got it. When can we expect it? How long a wait? Put yourself in a publisher’s shoes (any publisher). You put out a game with plans of additional dlc updates. So far so good. But for whatever reason the devs will only push it out when it’s ready. If you’re on a schedule with important people breathing down your neck, that’s not a position the publisher would want to be in. They need what you promised them. See, that’s the problem with bioware’s approach to this. They originally had schedule for themselves via the roadmap but then delayed almost everything indefinitely. So we have no idea when we’ll get anything; and I don’t even recall BioWare making any announcement informing players when cataclysm was coming out before the update went live. Nothing they can do about it now, but for any future updates, if there’s going to be any, they can handle it way better.

I don’t agree at all with how BW has handled communication and have commented on this many, many times. In fact, on the PTS, their lack of communication was my most common criticism. I believe they’re doing more harm than good to themselves with their communications “strategy.” And I don’t know for sure, but the Cata “stealth” release may be the first time in gaming history that any dev has released major content without any forewarning whatsoever. It is indeed strange.

On a related note, iD Software used to be famous back in the ‘90s and early 2000s for what became a meme before there were memes with their “when it’s done” line in response to incessant player demands to know when the next Quake was coming out. But no one took it badly then. It seems times have changed though.

All that said, none of this changes my underlying point which is that the game is clearly being worked on and content is coming. And they certainly don’t *owe* us a roadmap. It’s a nice-to-have but not some kind of legal requirement or even customary practice. If anything, the roadmap itself was a *marketing tool* designed to stoke player interest, but when it backfired it may well be that EA’s marketing department decided to abandon the tactic and go back to “traditional” production and marketing where you don’t really know what’s coming except for rumor and some kind of marketing push immediately before release. (To be frank, even at release I suspected the roadmap was only included as a way to head off criticism that the initial amount of content was very light.)

I also believe they will in fact stick to the roadmap—and we’ll see the Mastery system next—but just without actually publishing one since it just puts a target on their backs. (Notice that guilds were on the original roadmap along with Mastery so they’ve already delivered on one of two remaining items on that roadmap, albeit guilds is in beta form and marked as such on the app.)

Message 33 of 53 (229 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Attica_Blue  Well that’s what I mean, they released cataclysm without any warning to players, and cataclysm was a big deal. It’s strange. That’s where communication is most needed. Players could potentially miss out this way and in bioware’s case, they need all the players they can get. 

As for the roadmap, only time will tell. Roadmaps aren’t always necessary. But they do put one out, it shows what they’re planning on doing to either add content or make changes and when those things go live. Sounds good. Then they decided to delay everything indefinitely. It just doesn’t look good and it makes me trust them that much less. That’s what it boils down to, I just can’t trust them. 

Message 34 of 53 (216 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Your wishful thinking:
Big players which spend a lot of money on additional content
=
A big amount of developers working on new content to keep the income high.
More expenses are possible which increases ingame updates.

Our current case:

Small player base which don't spend money on additional ingame transactions:

=

Only a handful of developers working on new content so the expenses are kept as low as possible.

...You can see how this is going, no need to ask.

Result:
- Slow bug fixing. Slow patches.
- Roadmap has been removed due unclear future and to not further disapoint the players with content being further delayed and whatnot.
- The old roadmap might have also been removed because the original plans now need to be cut in tiny pieces because there are simply not enough people to realise all that.
- Most developers have been shifted to new game projects a long time ago.

There's only one way to potentialy change the update frequency:

- We need more players who spend more money on ingame transactions.

Is it going to happen?
Very unlikely.

Will we see more updates?
Yes i think so, but don't expect them anytime soon.

I would say another 6 months or even more is very realistic for another *bigger* chunk of an update.

Will this long waiting time kill the game?
- Absolutely possible. If even the current player base is getting bored... why would you stay?
We can only hope, because they're not really advertising anymore to save even more money.

Which means there won't be a big player comeback anytime soon.

@Bioware

Save your IP and ask EA for more resources.

Message 35 of 53 (202 Views)

★★★ Guide

@Everade  You have fair points. But I disagree with just one thing: the notion that we, the players, somehow need to spend more money on micro transactions. I’m against micro transactions in every way, shape, and form in games that we pay for. I also don’t think games improve the more money you spend. Sports games are a prime example. Same game every year only with more micro transactions. NBA just came out with a trailer promoting gambling, yes actual gambling, with slot machines, spin the wheel, pachinko machines, and more loot boxes via card packs.

If anthem was free, then it’s a different story. “But they’re doing free updates”. That was their decision. They could’ve done DLC to really earn that extra money. I don’t mind DLC. Just make it worth my money. EA could’ve been paying actual attention to the game since they’d know there’s money to be made. 

Message 36 of 53 (148 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Guide
@Silversurferguy Let's think of microtransaction purchases as taking your combustion car to the garage for an oil filter change for example. You are getting some maintenance in you car done while you are keeping the shop in business so you can take your car to the shop for repairs or additional maintenance when needed. I would like to just drive my car not worrying about getting its oil changed, tires replaced during winter, and the like, but I have a car with a combustion engine which I paid for.
Message 37 of 53 (133 Views)

★★★ Guide

@daemontonio  I’m paying for a game, not car. Maintenance is a necessity for owning a car. And  since I’m not car expert, I have to consult someone who is to make sure my car keeps running smoothly. In short, I’m paying for their services. Micro transactions are not services. 

Message 38 of 53 (121 Views)

★★★ Guide

IMHO

I don't see why players would object to paying for anything in a multi player online game.

The concept that this game would be around for up to ten years with no additional investment by players doesn't make sense. So I paid $80.00 for the game that's nothing and I probably spend more going to the movies for two hours of entertainment. If additional investment in the game will keep it going I don't mind paying and people that don't want to pay wouldn't have to. So what's to keep them from going free to play and adding paid DLC or micro transactions?

Players that paid for the game would have access to everything up to the point of going free to play and wouldn't need to pay for anything additional because they could let you grind for it. As a casual player I don't mind pay to play and would like to be able to buy whatever I want and not grind for it.

Just my two cents

Beer

Message 39 of 53 (115 Views)

★★★ Guide
@Silversurferguy True, a video game is not a car. I know what you mean. That is why I started the reply with "Let's think", implying an analogy. But a video game is software. I can tell, from the time I worked in the software development business, that a game of this magnitude has a lot of code to maintain. You have to consider the time involved in the design also. I was disappointed when I first bought the game and I was not able to play it until I subscribed to Xbox Gold Live but I got the subscription and since then I have bought the Legion of Dawn upgrade twice and shards several times. Getting updates for the game is similar to asking someone to make sure the game is running in the best way possible.
Message 40 of 53 (108 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help