Andromeda - Collected Ideas & Suggestions

by fudgietroll

Original Post

Re: Hey Writers/Devs, Look Here!

★★ Guide

You're not alone. It's a shame the media only seemed to focus on the bad reviews, but they barely paid attention the us players (both who played and loved the original trilogy and those who only played andromeda) who actually loved it. They game did have a rocky start, but the issues were fixed and we can't wait for more.

For what is worth, remember that some players are waiting for the sequel/dlcs for ME:A 1.

Message 61 of 73 (3,583 Views)

Re: Andromeda - Collected Ideas & Suggestions

★★★ Novice

Something I was too busy to do but with me being out of work for the time being..here we go

Mass Effect is a top 5 franchise for me. A series of games I didn’t know I wanted until I played them. I must divulge that Andromeda left me extremely disappointed but not even because of the glitches or other things. It wasn’t fully Mass Effect in spirit. I’ve already written a letter (yea I know lol) about that so I won’t retread but the opportunity to rebirth Mass Effect into the spirit of its former glory and then some. I’m not intending this to be a telling a developer how to make their game but as an avid fan, I can give examples of the what and why I would love to play and in the next Mass Effect as pure feedback. I will give specific examples but only with the intent to communicate the spirit of what I would love to see.

One of the reasons I love videogames is because of the passionate environment that comes with it. For better or for worse its amazing. The negative reactions to the Mass Effect 3 ending and Andromeda while not all completely justified came from a place of passion. Very few games can say they inspired that level of passion. I kind of pride myself on not being attached to entertainment but there are some shows and games that have completely overridden that and make this 40-year-old man fanboy. Zelda, Overwatch, Game of Thrones, Star Wars, and Mass Effect. I could put any of these in a youtube search and add ost and 4 hours later I’ve gotten the largest dosage of dopaoxcyotonin possible. I look at the comment sections and some of it is like reading my own thoughts. I’ll then go on deviant art and see the coolest Tali, Garrus etc fan art and proceed to make them into a wallpaper. Then I’ll share it with my Mass Effect buddies and that turns into a reminiscent conversation on Tali drunk with her emergency induction port and having a very deep conversation about the parallels between herself  Miranda and their Fathers while also calling her a perfect Cerberus cheerleader Bosh’tet. (I have a point here so bear with me.) I looked up this scene and even as I’m experiencing it again for the Andre 3000th time I laugh and tear up a little. Ok so my point is companies pay millions of dollars to have their customers experience that kind of feeling. Bioware did that and there is a tremendous opportunity to recapture at least some of it. I

Idea # 1 Armax Arena 3.0

Make the multiplayer a virtual training simulation much like the Citadel dlc Armax Arena. In order to draw upon the potency of Mass Effect it would be great if during a session Shepard or any of the crew was on coms giving direction (kind of like Battlefront 2 coop). Maybe even make it a choice to who you want narrating the session and have unique dialog and banter between everyone. Like the previous Armax Arena this is where you can play as the old crew along with any other multiplayer characters and can bring back any previous faction. Strike type missions, classic horde or something like the Battlefront 2 coop with objectives that take you through iconic areas. For example A match that is in the shadow broker ship playing the battle theme with Fem Shepard on coms and Liara, Wrex, Garrus, and Tali. Some of the comments can be based off of your decisions from the previous games that you shared with the game to get the unique experience. It doesn’t have to have the old crew playable but having their presence on coms would give a concentrated dose of da feelz.

Idea #2 Put the character in multiplayer characters.

Every multiplayer character with a unique voice and story, gameplay ala Overwatch Street fighter, Mortal Kombat etc but with the choice and customization of Mass effect in the skill tree. 

Idea #3 Put the power in powers

What do I mean? This would be effects-heavy to communicate how strong a biotic or engineer is. Omni tools will instead be an Omni suit to facilitate this visual/audio. I’ll give some examples to communicate the spirit of what I mean.

1. Biotic based characters, as they are using a power the ground or objects next to them, will crack or shake the environment. The warp ability can have a bending space effect around the power. Biotic explosions should create small craters with some form of environmental destruction. Biotics should have absolute command of all space. Throw many or any reasonable object. Reflect or deflect any projectile. *Please please bring back the Mass Effect 3 biotic explosion sound or make something just as good or give the option to use it

1. Engineers when using overload could have electricity coursing through their body and tech burst combo can have a thunderous like sound. 

3.A Krogan Vanguard should have every step sound like a walking tank with the ground cracking. Nova should leave a sizable crater and a Vanguard charge leaves enemies it charges into noticeable weaker and damaged state especially if it detonates a primer. 

1. Infiltrator based characters will be masters of mobility and precision getting anywhere and everywhere quickly. Powers or shots have the ability to shoot off limbs or damage to legs slow down enemies. Damage to arms hampers the ability to attack coupled with distinct visual and audio cues like the enemy yelling about their arm while their gun is not pointed. 

4.Soldier based characters could have the ability to wield multiple weapons in a variety of ways. You can take the N7 soldier with the shoulder-mounted missile launcher with an acidic DoT effect causing enemies to temporarily cough and choke loudly all while being able to accurately shoot from the hip and left trigger with an alternate fire. Soldiers should have a myriad of artillery at their disposal

5.Sentinel based character is the hybrid of hybrids. Sentinals could have the ability to temporarily change into any class with varying degrees of power. A sentinel can have overload and throw but with the ability to copy teammates power set for a set duration or have a predetermined set of powers to shift to. Adaptability is what could be the spirit.

Idea #4 Unique combo effect

This is a mix of Andromeda and Anthem. Anyone can detonate a primer but with different effects. When a primed enemy is detonated the effect will be different based on the nature of the power and the character class maybe even the character or skill tree specific. For example A Biotic primes an enemy with a dark channel  and a vanguard detonates with Nova which causes biotic explosion that can prime multiple enemies or knocks every enemy in a certain radius down. An engineer can cryo an enemy and an infiltrator can shadow strike the enemy for very high and crippling damage. That same primed/cryo enemy if detonated by a biotic detonator will cause a somewhat AoE snow storm. 

Idea #5 Reorganize Rearrange Reverse

This is a weird one for me to communicate but I’ll try. Every character doesn’t have to have a gun. Left trigger can be more than just aiming.For example, you can have a pure biotic that has access to 6 + powers with the additional buttons coming from LT/RT and their combinations. Characters can be more team enabling all or some. I’d love for teamwork to be incentivized with gameplay mechanics. Powers can have an effect on the enemy and an effect on teammates. Some can be decisions by the player in skill tree or how developer sees fit.  Desire is to have unique characters in size, speed abilities, voice, story, guns, movement etc with skill tree decisions to make more distinctive. The same button press with one character can be something completely different for another

Biotic Based character example

R1 Dominate on enemy. On teammate, enemies stop shooting at for duration

L1 Pull 2.0 (think a mixture of Andromeda pull and Controls  Launch ability) 

R1+L1 Stasis

R2 Warp on enemy. On teammate puts temp biotic barrier

L2  Backlash 2.0

X (Jumping/floating ability almost like Scarlet Witch in the MCU and Levitate in Control)

Guns: Can replace power with guns or not. Player choice within developer chosen options. Unique guns only available to character

Soldier Based character

R1 Grenades

L1 Concussive Shot

R1+L1 Adrenaline Rush Can be applied on a teammate or self. 

R2 Primary fire (Assult Rifle)

L2 Ammo power

L2 hold +R2 Tertiary fire (Shotgun)

X jump *double tap dodge

Guns: All traditional type guns player can choose

Engineer based character

R1 Energy Drain 6b gives teammates in radius of person(caster or teammate) getting energy drain effect. The more people the stronger the shield

L1Cryo blast

R1+L1 Omni bot: Duplicate enemy or teammates fighting on your side

Infiltrator based character 

R1 Melee with electric or corrosive  daggers Hold for extra damage

L1 Phase through walls and enemies Can apply to teammates

R1+L1 Tactical cloak Can apply to teammates

Sentinel based character

R1 Overload

L1 Throw

R1+L1 Copy cat can change into any teammate or preselected character

Idea #5 Enemy variety in/and behavior

I got a taste of enemies made with Machine Learning in Battlefront 2 and it blew me and all my friends away. Every match feels like we must earn it and knowing that you can lose is actually exhilarating. Some of the enemies in Battlefronts 2 coop are more challenging than some humans!!! If Mass Effect can achieve that paired with the weapons and powers at its disposal it could be something extremely special

Well if you got through all this thanks a bunch. Once again my intent isnt to tell the developers how to make their game but communicate my passion and love of the series and share the essence of what would make me rekindle my excitement and buy the super mega ultra edition of the next mass effect. With next-gen around the corner and AI, Machine Learning, etc to facilitate the developers from my limited perspective Mass Effect has a tremendous opportunity to reinvigorate itself and chart a new and familiar path.

Message 62 of 73 (3,571 Views)

★★ Novice

One thing that bothers me about ME:A is the space exploration. The planet graphics and descriptions are unimaginative and random. There are only a few graphics types for the planets, and they usually don't match the descriptions. The type of the star and distance from it don't match the stated planet conditions. There are illogically numerous ring systems around rock planets. Ratio of gas giants to rock planets is off. All systems have close to the same number and type of planets. Scanning the "huge mineral deposits" is a hastily tagged on place holder for something more interesting.

As it is, and I am sure that Bioware knows this, a tedious routine to fly to each system and scan everything there, but nevertheless something that one has to do every playthrough of the game to maximise xp. So yeah, this aspects needs to be heavily edited and fleshed out in any following installments.

Message 63 of 73 (3,536 Views)

★ Guide

Space exploration in the entire series has never been very good. I dont think you ever got the true feel of exploring the unknown as the systems were already visible when you entered. Going from system to system in ME2 and ME3 were about the closest we got, but even then it was lacking. I think you would need to apply the open world system to space with the whole fog of war concept to get that feel. 

Message 64 of 73 (3,494 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

make this xbox play anywhere that would be cool and add an update that adds a quest to become a human khett or a remnant cyborg or both tho i think the choice between the two would add weight to it like ud have to get your choices just right to have both

Message 65 of 73 (3,340 Views)

★★★ Novice

I actually enjoyed the game and the story. It was a great experience for me personally. wish they had a sequel for it.

Too bad gamers have gotten really whiny since 20 years back.

Message 66 of 73 (2,521 Views)

★★ Novice

I hope a 60/120 fps patch is in the works for PS5 and Series X/S Consoles

Message 67 of 73 (2,493 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I absolutely love the characters in this game, thank you for this forum! Here’s hoping for more content in the future! 

Message 68 of 73 (2,410 Views)

★★ Novice

I just finished Mass effect Andromeda. I enjoyed playing it. I did get game when first came out. I can’t remember why stop playing it. But I think It was waiting to bugs to be fixed. 
it still buggy. But was able to put up with them. I would love get Next chapter in Series. But lot of bad opinions spoiled it. But I’m looking forward to next mass effect series. 
I did purchase mass effect legendary. I loved playing game again. Keep up with great job.

Message 69 of 73 (1,982 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I recently finished the triology plus Andromeda. Andromeda is okay, not as bad as hyped, but the game does play like a chore. A lot of quests require you to commute across half of the galaxy to have a chat with someone when you should just be making a call on your omni tool. Consider much fuel wastage and pollutions you are creating for Andromeda galaxy by crisscrossing their galaxy for the sake of face-to-face communitication, do you fly over the globe just to have a chat with your friend who lives in another country? Mostly likely you make a call. The Milky Way is a green Galaxy that runs on renewable clean energy. That's not how we do things. the commuting not only makes the game incredibly boring, it's also super bad publicity for Milky Way. Next, I'm sure the Remnants can do better than entrusting their planet-saving vaults to Sudoku quiz solvers. The Getts surely know how to solve Sudoku, they don't need an A.I. Their civilisation is as old as the Protheans, I'm sure they have better encryptions than the Earth's crypocurrency and blockchains. The plot is plainly predictable. If there's no better ideas you can play Horizon Zero Dawn or Forbidden West to steal a few. Apart from that, everything is nice and great, but I won't play it again.

Message 70 of 73 (1,805 Views)