*An Update on The Iron Crown Event*

by EA_Blueberry

Original Post

*An Update on The Iron Crown Event*

Community Manager

Hey everyone,

At launch we made a promise to players that we intend to do monetization in a way that felt fair and provided choice to players on how they spent their money and time. A core decision during development of Apex Legends was that we wanted to make a world class battle royale game - in quality, depth, progression, and important for today’s conversation - how we sell stuff. With the Iron Crown event we missed the mark when we broke our promise by making Apex Packs the only way to get what many consider to be the coolest skins we’ve released*.*

We’ve heard you and have spent a lot of time this week discussing the feedback and how we structure events in the future, as well as changes that we will make to Iron Crown. To get right into it, here are the changes we are making:

• Starting on 8/20, we’ll be adding and rotating all twelve of the event-exclusive Legendary items into the store over the course of the final week of the event for the regular Legendary skin cost of 1,800 Apex Coins. You will still be able to purchase Iron Crown Apex Packs for 700 Apex Coins if you choose. The store schedule for the week will be as follows:

Post image
  • For future collection events, we will provide more ways to obtain items than just buying Apex Packs.

A couple other things I would like to address:

We need to be better at letting our players know what to expect from the various event structures in Apex Legends. Over the last six months we’ve been learning a lot about operating a live service free-to-play game, and one of the take-aways from this week (beyond what was mentioned above) is that our messaging for expectations needs to be clearer. This is a different event structure than the Legendary Hunt from Season 1, and it will be different from planned future upcoming events. We’re learning more each day on what works, what doesn’t, and how to provide the best possible experiences and content to all of you.

With Apex Legends it is very important to us that we don’t sell a competitive advantage. Our goal has not been to squeeze every last dime out of our players, and we have structured the game so that all players benefit from those who choose to spend money - events like Legendary Hunt or Iron Crown exist so that we can continue to invest in creating more free content for all players. This week has been a huge learning experience for us and we’re taking the lessons forward to continue bringing the best possible experience to all of you.

Thanks again for being a part of the Apex Legends community, we look forward to continuing to release awesome new stuff for everyone to enjoy!

(Source)

Blueberry.png
Message 1 of 94 (3,112 Views)

Re: *An Update on The Iron Crown Event*

★★ Apprentice

You guys seriously weird, what kinda visionary is this? Media already make fun of you guys about the ridiculous store pricing and suddenly revert back to an original 18$ sale rotation system. Why didnt put this on first place? Good god, EA just ruin their reputation and now they correcting them self, this is how a triple-A company failed to please players. To late respawn and EA, it will take around 2-4 months to recover people's faith for everything you have done.

And btw, you guys motive so obvious to notice, get a best linux engineers around the world and build a apex legends mobile version, you can earn alot from this platform, especially at asia region, lame.

Message 2 of 94 (3,070 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@EA_Blueberry What about the players who already used the 'gambling" with the packs? Doesn't this leave them in the dust now? How about the people who were originally told this was not going to be an option? How do they get a refund?
Message 3 of 94 (3,048 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

WOW! So you're going from you're failed event store into you're failed game store? From one crazy price to another. Start making new legends instead of skins that's not even noticed ingame. 

Message 4 of 94 (3,040 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@invaderk1mto EA, it's not gambling, it's called "Surprise Mechanics".

Message 5 of 94 (3,029 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I would like to know about us who actually spent the money on limited time only skins??

Message 6 of 94 (3,018 Views)

★★★★ Pro

Will those be craftable? What if I by some miracle get 1200 crafts+tokens together, will Ill be able to craft one, or Ill hit "technicality" wall even those 2 are practically indentic currencies?

@EA_Blueberry 

Message 7 of 94 (2,998 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Overprice packs for first week then for the rest of the event sell direct, looks like plan B was part of A from the get go.

Message 8 of 94 (2,994 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I feel like I got completely screwed over by this. The only 2 legendaries I wanted were the pathfinder and peacekeeper skins, I spent 100 dollars on Alex coins and got neither. Now you're telling me that I have the option of buying the 2 skins I want for an additional 40. Wtf I can already spend another 40 on iron crown packs and unlock literally everything else including the skins I want. This will be the last time I spend any money on this game.

Message 9 of 94 (2,992 Views)

★★★★ Guide
@EA_Blueberry I hate to say it.....but this news is just going to make things worse.......

EA/Respawn not only shot themselves in the foot by rolling it out this way......but took out the other foot by not addressing the people who already spent their money, and now to be basically told "now, it costs less with no randomness to get your skins"

These changes are a bandaid on an arterial spurt.......nowhere near enough......

You want to keep your players, do more than just say "sorry"......give players who spent the $$ the option of refunds.....

(not directed AT you Blueberry.....not trying to kill the messenger lol)

and no....not speaking as someone who's just bitter about getting shafted, I spent nothing on Iron Crown packs...

....I'm just speaking as someone who really enjoys this game, wants it to get better and develop, and hoping that this doesn't derail things badly....
Message 10 of 94 (2,960 Views)