Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

An Open Letter to EA

by StrykeNinja

Original Post

An Open Letter to EA

★★★★ Novice

Dearest EA,

You have signed the guillotine to multiple highly anticipated projects, Visceral Games and Bioware seems to be next on the axe list due to your agenda. If recent history has shown anything, all your studio cares about are loot boxes. There was a time when a measure of a game's longevity was measured in content and not microtransactions. If the fate of Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and other beloved franchises hang in the balance on this, then my only option as a consumer is to hope that Bioware does it right by Anthem. On the other hand, should it go south and Bioware does indeed die, your reputation as a publisher would likely be your undoing.

If it were up to me, your social media marketers, if they are competent, would know what the people want. I would highly suggest you allow them to deliver instead of forcing your agenda on to every project requiring some form of microtransactions. While the game might have changed over the years in terms of what consumers are after, great stories are always valued. I would take that into consideration before throwing money away on a PR campaign that would last only for a season.

If Bungie's current state is any indication, forcing one's agenda onto a developer never ends well. Whatever the internet is lapping up, it looks almost as bad as being trapped in a conscription military unit with redundant processes and ineffective, unlikeable superiors that would be the first to die when trouble comes knocking.

Regards,

A disappointed consumer. 

Message 1 of 20 (1,770 Views)

Re: An Open Letter to EA

Rather a lot of 'if's' in there.

Shouldn't we judge Anthem's game economy on its own merits, once those details emerge?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 2 of 20 (1,737 Views)

@StrykeNinja

While I do hope EA learns from it's mistakes, Fifa and Madden will keep the company afloat and since loot boxes do so well there because everyone there seems to want to pour their money down the digital drain for a pixel character that will be obsolete next month/year, I doubt EA will go away from them easily.

Fifa 18 reportedly sold 10 million units, and took in I don't know how much cash from loot boxes, but I am betting it is a boatload.

Madden 18 reportedly sold 5.5 million units.

I doubt DA:I sold anywhere near those....Mass Effect 3 is supposed to have sold 6 million copies since 2012...

The issue comes that EA can pump out a new Fifa every year, and net 10 million sales....or a ME or DA every 3-6 years for half that......where are they going to put their money??  And since people are willing to buy the NEXT fifa even though it is almost exactly like the previous fifa, EA will keep doing it, all the while raking in the cash. 

Personally, if Anthem is a loot box extravaganza then it will be a pass for me.....if it looks good, with solid game play and loot boxes are extra stuff, or can be earned through play similar to ME:A multiplayer, then I will look hard at it and probably will buy.

But the end of of this, don't hold your breath about EA going under until people wise up and stop buying the next great new and improved yearly reproduction of the same game.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 20 (1,730 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

Sorry, but no one here can do anything about the issues you raise.  The AHQ is for player-to-player  technical self-help and game-play discussions. When you post here you are not talking to BioWare, EA, Sony, or Microsoft.  We're all just fellow gamers, doin' the best we can...

Message 4 of 20 (1,711 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

agreed with Sofajockey.... You cant just talk like that about Anthem when they are trying to make the game better and we are not supposed to compare games. Yea EA did some mistakes but you can clearly see bioware is fighting to make this game better and avoid previous mistakes.

Message 5 of 20 (1,703 Views)

★★★ Guide
EA isn't going anywhere as long as they are making sports games.

What I hate about EA is that they 'stole' the IP rights for Dragon Age & Mass Effect away from the people who care the most about the franchises.
Message 6 of 20 (1,519 Views)

@TKMcClonewrote:
EA isn't going anywhere as long as they are making sports games.

What I hate about EA is that they 'stole' the IP rights for Dragon Age & Mass Effect away from the people who care the most about the franchises.

Huh? "Stole', you mean they 'bought the company'...?

I saw recent information attributed to Gaider and Weekes suggesting that EA literally saved BioWare (and Dragon Age).

https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/03/bioware-ea/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 7 of 20 (1,485 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@SofaJockeyUKwrote:

Huh? "Stole', you mean they 'bought the company'...?

I saw recent information attributed to Gaider and Weekes suggesting that EA literally saved BioWare (and Dragon Age).

https://powerup-gaming.com/2018/04/03/bioware-ea/

It's more complicated than that. The CEO of Elevated Partners, an investment company that had a stake in VH holdings (Pandemic (SWBF2) and BioWare) left to be to CEO of EA. EA bought VH holdings from his old firm and closed Pandemic. I don't think it's fair to say that BioWare would have failed. Other investors could have been found to keep them independent. But, who knows it was a long time ago and it's not really what I was driving at..

My point was that Mass Effect and Dragon Age are in the hands of a company that thinks Single player, narrative RPGs are old and not as important as 'games as a service'. If Anthem 'fails to met EA expectations' and the rest of BioWare (RIP Montreal) gets shut down, how is BioWare further ahead 10 years later? EA still owns the IPs.

Coincidentally, I'm listening to 'The Masked Empire' Audiobook that Patrick Weekes wrote. It's an amazing story. But, Weekes doesn't own it, he wrote it with EAs permission to use the IP. People talk about owning a game company like it means something - but it doesn't. All publishers like EA are doing is stealing the ownership of creativity from talented people. It's all about franchises. Look at Drew Karpyshyn, (lead writer) what if Anthem is a huge success he isn't even at BioWare anymore. It was like, creative-to-go.... Anyways. it's much bigger discussion about artists and corporations in the entertainment industries. Personally, I like the JK Rowling approach to IPs. Standard smile

Message 8 of 20 (1,477 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@TKMcClone;

You're saying we should believe your take on things despite your having ZERO first-hand information over the statements of two of the key employees of the firm involved?  You just lost all credibility with me and I'll presume your opinion of EA is based solely on what you have found on Reddit (or 4Chan).

Here's what Patrick Weekes and David Gaider, (actual BioWare senior writers) had to say about the situation:

"... One of the most interesting pieces of information to come from HavenCon 4 regarding EA and BioWare is the state of the latter. According to ArcherAnders, both Weekes and Gaider confirmed that BioWare would have gone out of business without EA’s help.

During the production of Dragon Age 2, BioWare had essentially run out of money and without EA’s involvement would have gone bust. EA’s involvement kept BioWare afloat, but it also meant that Dragon Age 2 was rushed to completion.

According to the three BioWare staff member, EA’s chief concern is money, but it rarely gets involved with BioWare’s internal development process. EA doesn’t push BioWare to do or not do something and takes a step back from the development of games. 

Even when BioWare wants to attempt something risky, EA doesn’t try to stop development. Instead, it plays devil’s advocate and asks questions like “Do you think you can get it right?”

This is a refreshing piece of news. EA is seen as the boogeyman of the gaming world and it’s nice to hear from the people directly involved that this is not the case."

So you're welcome to spin your "alternative facts".  I'll stick with those on the ground.

Message 9 of 20 (1,464 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

@ThandalNLyman

Think what you want. I just gave my opinion about IPs. And, what I remembered from 2007. I'm Canadian and 'alternative facts' is an American thing. At the time DA2 was in development EA already owned BioWare. I'm not saying that Weekes and Gaider are wrong, but they are only an editor and writers and didn't own BioWare in 2007. And, what's worse is they don't even own what they created for Mass Effect and Dragon Age, because they work for EA.

Here are a couple articles from 2007 and the BioWare Wiki

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-buying-bioware-pandemic-for-860m/1100-6180818/

https://www.cnet.com/news/electronic-arts-pays-860-million-for-bioware-pandemic-studios/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioWare

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Riccitiello  /  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevation_Partners

I don't read redit and I don't know what 4chan is.

Message 10 of 20 (1,456 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help