Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: An Open Letter to EA

by EgoMania

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

I read the articles you linked.  I saw nothing in any of them to support the assertions you make about EA and the game(s) under discussion.  Except for the general observation that EA is a business and is deeply concerned with making a profit.  As the union organizer Samuel Gompers, founder of the American Federation of Labor, (the "AFL" in the AFL-CIO) once said:

"The worst crime against working people is a company which fails to operate at a profit."

Your bigger issue would appear to be some sort of warped perception of the relationship between writers, artists, producers, etc., who are working as employees and therefore do not "own" the materials they "create" but who do receive a paycheck even if no one ends up buying the results, and the companies which employ them.

The decision to be one of those who work without a (financial) net, retaining full control of the results but bearing the full costs of failure if no one wants to pay for them, versus one who doesn't, is a highly individual one.  To denigrate either  party to a voluntary  reward-for-effort relationship seems... juvenile.

[EDIT:  Oh, and "Alternative Facts" appear to have crossed the border, given your preference for rumor and invention over eyewitness testimony.]

Message 11 of 20 (578 Views)

★★★ Guide

@ThandalNLymanwrote:

I read the articles you linked.  I saw nothing in any of them to support the assertions you make about EA and the game(s) under discussion.  Except for the general observation that EA is a business and is deeply concerned with making a profit.  As the union organizer Samuel Gompers, founder of the American Federation of Labor, (the "AFL" in the AFL-CIO) once said:

"The worst crime against working people is a company which fails to operate at a profit."

Your bigger issue would appear to be some sort of warped perception of the relationship between writers, artists, producers, etc., who are working as employees and therefore do not "own" the materials they "create" but who do receive a paycheck even if no one ends up buying the results, and the companies which employ them.

The decision to be one of those who work without a (financial) net, retaining full control of the results but bearing the full costs of failure if no one wants to pay for them, versus one who doesn't, is a highly individual one.  To denigrate either  party to a voluntary  reward-for-effort relationship seems... juvenile.

[EDIT:  Oh, and "Alternative Facts" appear to have crossed the border, given your preference for rumor and invention over eyewitness testimony.]

I'm not sure what you problem is or what 'assertions' you are referring to. Am I not allowed to have an opinion regarding equity in intellectual property rights? 

I'm glad that you're happy that EA controls what happens with Mass Effect. I would have prefered if it was in the hands of an independent Canadian Game Developer.... Now, why don't you go back to watching FoxNews. 

Don't bother quoting me again - we're done.

Message 12 of 20 (541 Views)

[ Edited ]

@TKMcClonewrote:

@ThandalNLymanwrote:

*snip*

I'm not sure what you problem is or what 'assertions' you are referring to. Am I not allowed to have an opinion regarding equity in intellectual property rights? 

I'm glad that you're happy that EA controls what happens with Mass Effect. I would have prefered if it was in the hands of an independent Canadian Game Developer.... Now, why don't you go back to watching FoxNews. 

Don't know if it will help or not, but people sharing differing opinions on a discussion forum does not necessarily mean they have 'a problem' with anything other than the opposing case being made. Also quoting people is kind of how forums work.

What is true is that we're in sore need of some more actual news about the game (EA Play is fast approaching). It will be nice to talk a bit more about that, and maybe spend a little less time on 'tin-foil hat' conspiracy theories. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't work for EA, but I adore BioWare's Mass Effect, Dragon Age & Anthem.
I can be found here on EA Answers HQ and on BSN forums: http://bsn.boards.net
Message 13 of 20 (486 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

@TKMcClone wrote:

I'm not sure what you problem is or what 'assertions' you are referring to.

Am I not allowed to have an opinion regarding equity in intellectual

property rights? 

Well, when you post in a public forum you invite comment and response.  You are free to ignore and not reply, but you can't tell others not to do so.

As for what 'assertions' you have made, I give you your own words:

... I don't think it's fair to say that BioWare would have failed.

...  they 'stole' the IP rights for Dragon Age & Mass Effect

... Other investors could have been found to keep them independent

... If Anthem 'fails to met EA expectations' and the rest of BioWare (RIP Montreal) gets [will be] shut down

... All publishers like EA are doing is stealing the ownership of creativity from talented people

Not one of those statements is backed-up with any facts.  They are opinionated conjecture and speculation, a deliberate misinterpretation of IP rights, and designed to reinforce a preconceived conclusion; viz. "EA is evil."

I have been in direct, personal communication with senior BioWare staff since before DA2's release (including beta testing DAO patches.) 

Have you? 

I have developed software both as a freelancer and as an employee. 

Have you? 

I reviewed (some, not all, of) the public statements of BioWare and EA personnel, current and former, and articles from many (reputable) industry journalists.  I have found nothing to indicate that EA has done any more (or less) for either the DA or ME franchise than provide budgets and deadlines.  Most of which were increased from their originals.  This doesn't sound like the Evil Empire to me.

As for Fox News, they are even less credible than you.  So if that's your standard for journalism it explains why you present your animosity as if it were revealed truth, and attack those who disagree without actually supplying any counter arguments of substance.

Message 14 of 20 (515 Views)

@TKMcClone

Are you trying to argue that an employee should own what they created while working for a company for a salary??  Do you believe a Ford Employee who works on the assembly line should own every car they assemble??  Should the designers of the car own the look or maybe the way the seats act??  Should a random tech lead in Apple own the face identification program or the Apple camera program?? 

No, that isn't how the world works, nor should it work that way.  IF anyone created this at home, and then EA came in and took it from them, sure they would have a claim and EA would be wrong...such as what happened when a tech for Chrysler came up with Pulse wipers at home and when put on cars by Chrysler they had to pay him back for the use to a hefty chunk of money.  But as long as you WORK FOR a company, they own what you produce, UNLESS you have signed specific contract rights giving you control of what you produce which in most cases means you are an independent contractor not a Salaried/Hourly paid employee.

If you want to own your intellectual property, then work for yourself as an independent developer and figure out how to live and make money off your ideas selling the rights to them to companies.  Don't expect a company to pay you for your time, cover your expenses BEFORE you do anything and then be out of luck when it comes to what you do produce.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 15 of 20 (495 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@TKMcClone wrote:

@ThandalNLyman

Think what you want. I'm Canadian and 'alternative facts' is an American thing.

"Alternative Facts" is a human, or since we're on a SciFi game board, a sentient thing. We just slapped a name on the collective basket of everything from disregarded data (or 'facts') to total BS that happens to question or contradict the collective basket of everything from accepted data (or 'facts') to total BS that comprises the accepted truth. Don't be jealous that we went and cooked up yet another new word or term. It's just one of those perks about the English language in general and Americans in particular.

As for the (somewhat lost) idea of this thread. It sums up to: EA, don't f-up Anthem and kill Bioware because we love ME and Dragon Age. Alternatively, in conservative-speak: if you aren't willing or able to put in the money, time, and effort to nurture and grow these games, you shouldn't abort them, but instead should give them up to be adopted by the many game studios who are longing to give them the love and care they need.

Random question: Thandal, are you a Washington Post reader?

Message 16 of 20 (282 Views)

★★★★ Guide

This thread is kind of funny. We have a Canadian who thinks he's not an American and more seriously thinks that matters of recorded history are free to manipulate into some historical falsification and justifying it by calling it an opinion.

I particularly like the 10-year time jump he made from the time that EA saved BW's behind with DA2 and linking it to last year's comment of EA about SP games. That didn't exactly happen in the same time span. Perhaps he didn't quite express himself correctly.

In any case, in 2 days it's EA Play. Whether you like it or not, Anthem is BW's game right now and anything else regarding a certain age or effect will have to wait. EA isn't deciding the direction of BW so much as they are interested in their ability to generate revenue. I do feel people need to make sure they keep the two separated. They influence each other but they are not the same.

Message 17 of 20 (267 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Pro

@EgoMania wrote:

...and anything else regarding a certain age or effect will have to wait.

EA isn't deciding the direction of BW so much as they are interested in their ability to generate revenue. I do feel people need to make sure they keep the two separated.

Classic lines. (May I borrow the first?)  Nerd

Message 18 of 20 (261 Views)

★★★★★ Pro

@fudgietroll wrote:

Random question: Thandal, are you a Washington Post reader?

No, I'm not.  Or at least not consistently.  I used to subscribe to the Sunday edition (mostly for the "other than news" sections) but realized I didn't have time for even that and was recycling without even opening it half the time.  I catch an occasional WP story through other channels, but that's about it.

Why?

Message 19 of 20 (257 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Guide

@ThandalNLyman wrote:

@EgoMania wrote:

...and anything else regarding a certain age or effect will have to wait.

EA isn't deciding the direction of BW so much as they are interested in their ability to generate revenue. I do feel people need to make sure they keep the two separated.

Classic lines. (May I borrow the first?)  Nerd

Hehe, feel free.

Message 20 of 20 (180 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help