Re: Ammo powers and how to make them better.

by Sirenapples

Original Post

Ammo powers and how to make them better.

★★ Guide

I haven't seen this being talked about anywhere else, which I think is a shame. Ammo powers were really cool in the previous games and I think it made almost every class more fun to play knowing you could use different ammo powers, but in Andromeda ammo is limited to consumables, which imo is a step in the wrong direction, especially how they were implemented. If you don't know what I'm talking about, ammo powers are now consumables which give you bonuses for three magazines worth of shooting. If you are keen, you found out really quickly that ammo consumables are completely 100 percent un-viable on weapons with small magazine sizes (especially snipers). Personally, I think consumables are mostly useless but I can see if people like them, so here is my idea. Add a new skill list for ammo powers. So combat, biotic, tech, and ammo. Here you can have incendiary, cryo, disruptor, armor shredder, and warp ammo. These skills will be un mappable on your standard power mapping (which needs more slots btw), but instead they can be put in the consumable slots on the weapon wheel, and be toggle abilities. This way, ammo powers are more viable, more fun, more accessible, and just improves singleplayer as a whole. In previous mass effect games (two and three) every class had access to ammo powers through squad loyalty or class abilities, now they are just easily forgettable almost negligible consumables that aren't fun at all. Thank you for reading and responding with feedback if you wish to do so.  

Message 1 of 19 (1,736 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

They could fix it by adding an Ammunition passive skill tree in Combat.    Increasing duration and strength or increasing acquisition of them as you go through.  Then the branches could split between strength vs frequency.  

Message 2 of 19 (1,692 Views)

★★ Guide

I like that and I don't. It would certainly improve what we have now, but they would still be consumables which is what is bad about it imo. 

Message 3 of 19 (1,688 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I simply do not use them.  Their use in single player is far to limiting to bring anything to the combat.  That said, an additional combat skill line would be an excellent way to make them a useful addition to combat.

Message 4 of 19 (1,670 Views)

★★ Guide

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way Standard smile Maybe things will change 

Message 5 of 19 (1,668 Views)

★ Guide

Yeah, it makes the more combo-reliant classes like the tech ones less fun and less powerful but I got used to it, I just used them in the more crowded fights.

Message 6 of 19 (1,662 Views)

★ Guide

@GigaChadEnhanced wrote:

I like that and I don't. It would certainly improve what we have now, but they would still be consumables which is what is bad about it imo. 

"increasing acquisition"

Meaning you could passively gain them on your own on top of normal methods of obtaining so you'd essentially have a "Free" usage or two per fight,  so you aren't losing anything.   Alternatively it might make it so 1=2 or 3,  ramping up how many you get in general.   But you'd still have the psychological impact of "Using up" limited resouces with that.   Vs say "Gain two temporary  incendiary ammo at the start of every fight".   Or perhaps "Start each fight with x ammo automatically".  

Message 7 of 19 (1,651 Views)

★★ Guide

I understand, but that still just adds even more menu hopping that what is already acquired in this game. I just wanna use it once and forget. Hell I'd be fine if the consumables were permanent until you used another one (would vastly prefer just a skill but I could live with it). 

Message 8 of 19 (1,649 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

How about a Long-press Reload to 'load' the special ammo type?  You find the ammo type you're interested in, attach it to the appropriate UI slot where it remains dormant until you load it via the long-press.  If you have multiple of said ammo type, you continually use it until you long-press reload back to normal ammo.

Message 9 of 19 (1,634 Views)

★★ Guide

Then they are still just unintuitive consumables with a lack of progression/customization. A single skill line wouldn't be able to make 6 ammo powers each feel unique, which is why I still think my original solution would fare better. Especially since I only really intent to play combat soldier and are starting to get a lot of points I don't need or won't use 

Message 10 of 19 (1,631 Views)