Alien Voices (ESPECIALLY Krogan!)

by hwood68

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Alien Voices (ESPECIALLY Krogan!)

★ Novice

I want to start by saying I was wonderfully surprised by this game. My favorite game in the series is easily the first game, hands down, no comparison. It was a fantastic game. The second and third were disappointing by comparison, but were good on their own also. Andromeda is very good as well, despite what so many people out there are saying, I like it way better than 2 or 3. So I want everyone to know I love the game and this is not a critique of the game overall, it's one minor detail that bugs me endlessly (since the first one too!): Alien voices.

Is it not distracting to anyone else in the slightest that the voices for alien races don't make even the slightest sense at all? I've found a FEW conversations about this scattered around the internet (with senseless name calling, rude assumptions and all kinds of mean 'n' ugly 'n' nasty 'n' horrible and all kind of things), but nobody seems to truly get why it's so off-putting to watch a Krogan speak more clearly and eloquently than most people in the real world.

This issue goes to the Turians and Salarians as well, but not to the same extent. While it's unlikely ANY of the races could speak a human language as clearly as they do, I would think those two have the faculties to at least get the sounds close (Asari can of course, for obvious reasons). I know what you're thinking smarty pants, and no, I'm not a linguistic expert, nor have I studied human, Turian, Salarian and Krogan anatomy to the point I could, with absolute certainty, assert that these creatures would be incapable of all speaking a common language, but there are a few observations that astute observers like myself are likely to pick up on...

My first and single most important observation  that would have a TREMENDOUS, indisputable impact on the ability for an alien creature to make certain sounds is MOUTH SIZE. Do you see the heads on those things? Do you see what the Krogan mouth looks like? There is NO WAY we'd be able to understand that thing if it tried to speak to us. Lips, tongue placement, tongue size, mouth shape/size, and your teeth among other things all have a huge part in what sounds you, as a human being, are capable of making.

Go ahead and do this wacky experiment with me: leaving everything else the same, widen your mouth as far as you can, until your muscles can literally not stretch it any more, and hold it there and say something tricky or with a lot of different sounds. Pirates of Penzance is great for this. Sing the first few lines of "I Am the Very Model of A Modern Major-General" with the corners of your mouth pulled back as wide as you can pull them. Like your smiling real big, but without actually smiling, just widen your mouth. Now, go ahead and sing the rest of the song as well. Seriously, do it. It sounds hilarious.

Anyway, that god-awful racket you just made, at BEST, should be what Krogans sound like when they speak. That's not taking into account their TONGUE size, the SHAPE of their mouths, or their TEETH or ANYTHING else.

That said, I love the game and am cool with it (mostly by pretending Shepard/Ryder has a device that automatically converts alien language into his or her preferred language implanted directly into his brain somewhere), but does anyone else not get distracted by this lol?

Just wanted a couple opinions on the matter.

Message 1 of 8 (2,047 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Alien Voices (ESPECIALLY Krogan!)

Actually, if you read the codexs in ME1 it says exactly what @ThandalNLyman suggested.  The omni-tool/implant acts as a universal translator for people to speak to each other.  Honestly, do you really think Asari or Turians would lower themselves to only speak the language of such newcomers as Humans??  Not to mention the vast different languages even among humans...so Krogans, speak Krogan, Asari speak Asari, and Turians speak whatever....lol....and the universal translator puts it into whatever language is understood by the user.

As a gameplay mechanic....yeah, I just as soon NOT have to read all the lines by Aliens in the game so they can mumble out their language instead of having a awesome voice actor really bring them to life....Looking straight at Wrex in ME1.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View in thread

Message 3 of 8 (2,290 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@hwood68; I just presumed that throughout the ME "universe" everyone had a Babble fish.  In other words, people are speaking in their own languages, and hearing everyone else translated back for them.

(Hence the broken speech of the Vorcha.  That's how they really sound, even to each other!  :eahigh_file: )

Message 2 of 8 (2,019 Views)

Actually, if you read the codexs in ME1 it says exactly what @ThandalNLyman suggested.  The omni-tool/implant acts as a universal translator for people to speak to each other.  Honestly, do you really think Asari or Turians would lower themselves to only speak the language of such newcomers as Humans??  Not to mention the vast different languages even among humans...so Krogans, speak Krogan, Asari speak Asari, and Turians speak whatever....lol....and the universal translator puts it into whatever language is understood by the user.

As a gameplay mechanic....yeah, I just as soon NOT have to read all the lines by Aliens in the game so they can mumble out their language instead of having a awesome voice actor really bring them to life....Looking straight at Wrex in ME1.

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 3 of 8 (2,291 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

@mcsupersport wrote:

<snip>

instead of having a awesome voice actor really bring them to life....Looking straight at Wrex in ME1.

Lookin' straight at the Vorcha.  BroShep himself Mark Meer created that voice, (skip to 1:50 if you must) and it's one of my favourites!

Message 4 of 8 (2,004 Views)

★ Novice

Oh yes I fully agree with you on that lol but I thought I remembered reading something along those lines, but wasn't sure. Awesome, you've answered my question, I no longer have to pretend that's the case lol.

Wrex kicked all kinds of * as a character. They brought him to life marvelously in my opinion.

Thank you all for your answers!

Message 5 of 8 (1,987 Views)

Hero

@mcsupersport wrote:

so Krogans, speak Krogan, Asari speak Asari, and Turians speak whatever....lol....

And humans speak human. Wink

I think the universal translator still wouldn't make sense. It instantly translates speech the moment the word is spoken, but that wouldn't even be possible with human languages because of variations in word order. If you're translating, for instance, from an SVO (subject-verb-object) language - like English - to a VOS language - like Malagasy, then there would have to be a delay. The translator could only start doing its bit once the subject had been uttered. Not to mention that alien species would have language structures that are much crazier than that.

One of the writers once explained that by saying there are trade languages in the galaxy, making the translation easier. I would have accepted that explanation if it weren't for the fact that the universal translator got the angaran language 'shelesh' figured out after only a few sentences.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 6 of 8 (1,970 Views)

Actually, the Angaran first contact we see wasn't the actual first contact by Milky way species. Both the outcasts and the Krogan had extensive contact, both had contact with the Nexus after said contact. I could easily see the program auto updating the language info on them as those groups exchange data or come into contact with each other. My issue from that scene is why didn't Drack mention them after landing as he should have had contact with Angara on the Krogan colony.
Message 7 of 8 (1,948 Views)

Hero

Right, I forgot that wasn't first contact.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 8 (1,943 Views)