Re: Aircraft throttle and aerodnyamics

by UP_Hawxxeye

Original Post

Aircraft throttle and aerodnyamics

★★★★★ Novice

I think it would be cool to incorporate an actual proportional control on the throttle of the aircraft rather it being on or off/cruise control.  I would also like to see an aerodynamic system being put into the game so people would be forced to fly more realistically and skillfully.

Message 1 of 18 (859 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I would recommend you be more specific in what you are seeking here... Both of the items you mentioned are already in the game.  You can stall out any aircraft by just holding back on the throttle and the physics for aircraft has been present from the beginning.

Do you perhaps mean a more realistic inertial sub-system to the physics engine?  I can agree with you in that case... modern military aircraft slip / skid reproduction has never really been accurate, but I imagine that would be more frustrating than fun for a lot of players too...

Message 2 of 18 (828 Views)

★★★★ Guide

I mean you can't really go full flight sim, but taking BFV as an example, if you have a full load of bombs/ rockets your flight characteristics should be different to if you had just unloaded them all. It doesnt have to be anything major, but just reduced speed and slower turning ect. 

Message 3 of 18 (803 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I agree with the throttle system that you propose. Max G should also be added.

Message 4 of 18 (796 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

Unless other vehicles(tanks, boats) also end up being more realistic, it doesn't seem consistent to only make aircraft more realistic and harder to use (unless they get buffed to compensate, but that could create more balance issues), also like mentioned before, more realistic aircraft might be more frustrating than fun for a lot of players too, after all Battlefield is not Arma....

P.S. I actually like flight simulators like MSFS 2020 and DCS, but I still don't believe significant more realistic aircraft would fit an arcade sandbox game like Battlefield 

Message 5 of 18 (785 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

I would like the planes to properly stall instead of floating midair

Message 6 of 18 (768 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I think that removing the air jelly/net and removing the floaty physics as you propose would make more sense.  I think that adding more proportional/limited traverse of turrets of any kind would also make the game more realistic and balanced depending how it is balanced between those two aspects.  The game has a stalling system but it has terrible aerodynamics and air pressure feedback systems to flight controls and airborne objects.  It's more simplified.  They already added a lot of "simulator" factors like turret turn speed and vehicle disablements and it has made the game overall better instead of tank guns and such spinning on a dime and looking funny and being overpowered.

Message 7 of 18 (713 Views)

Community Manager

@Raven3356 

Do you think this would create a difficult barrier for younger and newer Battlefield players who will try jumping into a jet or helicopter? 

Blueberry.png
Message 8 of 18 (686 Views)

★★ Guide
@EA_Blueberry Can you say if there will be joystick support. Hope so.
Message 9 of 18 (663 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Raven3356 wrote:

I think that removing the air jelly/net and removing the floaty physics as you propose would make more sense.  I think that adding more proportional/limited traverse of turrets of any kind would also make the game more realistic and balanced depending how it is balanced between those two aspects.  The game has a stalling system but it has terrible aerodynamics and air pressure feedback systems to flight controls and airborne objects.  It's more simplified.  They already added a lot of "simulator" factors like turret turn speed and vehicle disablements and it has made the game overall better instead of tank guns and such spinning on a dime and looking funny and being overpowered.

Hi @Raven3356 ,

While fully agreeing on the floating jets in aka BF4 are hilarious and highly unrealistic, then going to the extreme other way and make proper stall aerodynamics/mechanics a reality for the air vehicles in the game, then I think we will drown in a wild uproar of disgruntled players that for most part will find it way too hard to control them and do any useful weapon activity at the same time.  Doing RC 3D helis and jets myself and its taken literally years to master to just some degree.  But for a game then most folks do not have the patience for such steep learning curve.  They want to be instant heros on the battlefield and get away with crazy s*** from day1.   (me too actually! :o)

Message 10 of 18 (625 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help