Aiming should not be delayed by the character model dragging behind

by FancyDanielS

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Aiming should not be delayed by the character model dragging behind

★★★ Novice

I don't know how many have noticed or talked about it, how it was handled in the Garden Warfare series and what impact it has for controllers, but I found that I really struggle with aiming in general since abilities come out of the model, which is always moving on a delay to the user's input.

What I mean by that is this: Say you are a Citron and you are using the Naval Laser, a hitscan ability which means it has no travel time, then aiming with this hitscan ability should lead to you hitting exactly where the reticle is pointing towards. So when someone is circling you, you should only need to keep the reticle directly on them to hit them. But this is not the case, becazse when you are moving the reticle there is a small delay before the Citron actually moves his gun with it, which leads to the hitscan always trailing and dragging behind the reticle.

This makes aiming well incredibly difficult as hitscan abilities never hit where you are aiming at and projectile abilities, which have a travel time and so need a bit of "aiming ahead" to hit where the enemy will be, need even more leading to hit accurately. I also believe this is causing problems with Snapdragon's Flame Blower and Scientist's Healing Hose as the actual abilities never quite aim where the reticle is pointing at and because it is too difficult to tell from the visuals alone where they are really aiming at it also makes correcting aim an exhausting task. This is also where Imps and Night Cap have an easy time avoiding getting hit when moving: Noone can really aim at them unless they stand relatively still.

In my opinion the character models should follow the reticle immediately, without delay, so that they always shoot exactly where the player intends them too. I understand that some abilities, if aiming becomes easier, would be more or less balanced than now, but I believe that removing this delay would lead to a healther gameplay experience overall.

What do others think? Is it better the way it is now?

Message 1 of 5 (497 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Aiming should not be delayed by the character model dragging behind

Champion (Retired)

Click the link in this thread to see that developers are investigating this issue:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Trello-Tracker-Explained/m-p/8228644#M3036

But we all agree with your post, no doubt.

View in thread

Message 3 of 5 (417 Views)

All Replies

★★★★★ Apprentice

I agree with you 100%. I hate how the character models lag behind when your trying to aim. It just makes aiming way harder than it should be. I feel like homing characters are the only ones I'm actually able to aim with, even then sometimes they struggle to keep up. I honestly think it needs to be reworked.

Message 2 of 5 (423 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Click the link in this thread to see that developers are investigating this issue:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Trello-Tracker-Explained/m-p/8228644#M3036

But we all agree with your post, no doubt.

Message 3 of 5 (418 Views)

★★★ Novice
@spIash_damage Oh thanks! I didn't see that the devs are already looking at it
Message 4 of 5 (403 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@FancyDanielS .... neither did I until I discovered the Trello board.  Shows how hard EA is trying to please eeeeeeveryone.

=]

Message 5 of 5 (401 Views)