Re: Add FPS cap in settings

by Wingmannedbro

Original Post

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

+fps_max (or -fps_max, can't remember which is correct) has been there for quite a while now. Use it if you need it (put it launch options). I have mine set to 237, since going from 150 to 300+ (rince and repeat) is just too distracting and produces stutters; and my monitor is only 240 hz anyway. It's not working perfectly though, I sometimes see 245 and even 250 fps for brief moments, but it definitely never goes to 300 when it's set. If you want to not go over 100, set it at 90 or sth.

Message 11 of 21 (5,812 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@Biochemikas I don't think it's working, since you received a higher fps than the max you set. Think they did remove the function of this command w/ the new patch.. my issue is that I have a 240hz monitor and 144hz~ processor, so I set it to 144hz. So right now since this command isn't working (for me) and my cpu is on autopilot, when I land it's basically overclocking itself trying to hit 240 and crashes.

Message 12 of 21 (5,802 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

It definitely is working. As I said, my fps goes all the way up to 300+ if I remove it (I did have it set to 0 before this patch and changed it to 237 just recently). Well I didn't try any other value, maybe it is 240 or 0, dunno. But since 240 is what I need anyway (and I don't need to be strictly lower than 240 since I have Gsync off), I won't be testing it further. Try setting it to something much lower and see if it has an effect. E.g., try something like 60 or 100.

P.S. If you're seeing fps all the way up to 300, then your command text must be wrong.

Mine is "+fps_max 237 -novid" (I think, I can't remember now and can't check atm). The -novid command does nothing anymore (used to remove the ultra loud splash screen), but mine is still there, maybe try leaving a space after number if nothing works ("+fps_max 100 ").

Message 13 of 21 (5,791 Views)

★ Apprentice
For skip intro video use "-dev" in advanced launcher option in origin ,"-novid" doesnt work anymore .
It seems that +fps_max not working idk maybe just for me ,before patch i use zero number for unlock fps in game and RTSS for lock 143 fps in game and its work smoothly ,cause in game lock feature lock it so bad ,i mean floating ~1 frames and ~3-5ms frametimes causes stuttering .
Message 14 of 21 (5,774 Views)

★★★ Expert

@SneedGaming515 

Just wanted to drop back in here to tell you there's a lot of fuzz on the twitch reddit about OBS being riddled with performance issues lately.

Your current issues probably have little to nothing to do with your PC or the new Apex patch.

Cheers.

Message 15 of 21 (5,696 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
  1. Close Apex Legends (you cannot access launch options if the game is running)
  2. Open Origin
  3. Go to My Game Library and left click on Apex Legends
  4. Click the 'Settings' cog (Under 'Play')
  5. Click 'Game Properties'
  6. Navigate to the 'Advanced Launch Options' tab
  7. In the command line, type: +fps_max #

#=fps you want to cap at.

Message 16 of 21 (5,657 Views)

★★★ Expert

@r00tdownX wrote:
  1. Close Apex Legends (you cannot access launch options if the game is running)
  2. Open Origin
  3. Go to My Game Library and left click on Apex Legends
  4. Click the 'Settings' cog (Under 'Play')
  5. Click 'Game Properties'
  6. Navigate to the 'Advanced Launch Options' tab
  7. In the command line, type: +fps_max #

#=fps you want to cap at.

The problem is that these options are now removed since a lot of people used it to mod the game in game-breaking ways.

Message 17 of 21 (5,643 Views)

★ Pro
@kysneed Lmao 3000 dollars, you can spend 700 for a pc to stream at 60 fps and that's V synching it lol unreal if you even think of paying that your crazy.
Message 18 of 21 (5,642 Views)

★★★ Expert

Depends on where you live.

For 700 dollars I won't even get a PC that meets Apex's minimal requirements.

Message 19 of 21 (5,640 Views)

★★ Novice

Nice try, tons of people have reportedly having issues streaming at 60fps. Game isn’t very well optimized. That’s been pretty much confirmed on the OBS forums. Capping FPS in launch options helped a lot, with the removal I’m back to where I was at the launch of apex 

Message 20 of 21 (5,622 Views)