Add FPS cap in settings

by SneedGaming515

Original Post

Add FPS cap in settings

★★★★ Apprentice

Since the game is poorly optimized, it’s EA so that’s just natural, can we get an FPS cap added to the settings like most modern games? No other PC game makes OBS drop to 10-20 FPS while streaming except apex. It’s awful. Pulling 130 FPS in game doesn’t help if OBS can only do 20. 

Adding a cap, like we could do before with launch options, helped with the cpu load and could actually stream at 60fps without needing a 2080 and $500 CPUs. 

Message 1 of 21 (1,068 Views)

Re: Add FPS cap in settings

[ Edited ]
★★★ Expert

So if I get this right, you blame a new-gen 2019 game for not running well in your OBS, because your streaming PC, is sub-optimal for streaming anno 2019.

Doesn't sound reasonable to blame EA, who btw, are publisher, and not the developer of Apex (which are completely different things)

Overall, I agree with you that an FPS cap setting could and should be added to settings on PC game clients to help people optimize the performance of the game, based on their hardware specs.

Message 2 of 21 (1,053 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

If every other game let’s OBS run at 60fps, including PUBG and Division 2, what/who would you blame? 

Not to mention this was a common issue when the game was released, and seems to be a bigger issue now they removed autoexec and the +fps_max launch options 

Message 3 of 21 (1,027 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@SneedGaming515 wrote:

If every other game let’s OBS run at 60fps, including PUBG and Division 2, what/who would you blame? 

Not to mention this was a common issue when the game was released, and seems to be a bigger issue now they removed autoexec and the +fps_max launch options 

He's only saying that EA isn't to blame, they don't develop the game. If you are going to lay blame somewhere it would be on the developers, Respawn.

Message 4 of 21 (1,019 Views)

★★★ Expert

@SneedGaming515 wrote:

The blame is definitely not on EA, since they only published the game, and have no hand in the creation process.

Also, it's important to consider that Apex is a next-gen shooter, which for example abandoned the old hitscan weapon system, with an engine that produces actual projectiles when you shoot, the bullet trails are a particle effect, and combined with bangalore smokes/ultimate, and many other things make the game heavier on processors than many older games.

Especially PUBG is ancient compared to Apex, so it's no wonder that game runs fine in OBS.

I think it's a typical case of a newer game not running perfectly smooth on some computers, when the game is also streamed.

It obviously takes a very beefy computer to stream Apex without any frame drops, even guys like Shroud put all their graphics setting to lowest, or off is possible to help run it smoothly on Twitch. And that guy is a millionaire.

At the end of the day. I absolutely agree with you that Respawn should add more comprehensive settings options to help people optimize performance, many people playing on a huge variety of hardware specs guarantees a substantial group of people need settings options like capping max FPS.

Any blame however is definitely on part of Respawn entertainment, they should have predicted that removal of the auto-exec commands would create the need to cap FPS, and other settings like changing aspect ratio, and should have made sure these options were available in-game before releasing this patch.

I'm sure this issue has been brought to their attention, I saw many threads similar to yours, so i'm confident they will add performance options as soon as possible. Hope they fix this quickly so you can enjoy and stream the game again.

Cheers.

Message 5 of 21 (994 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I can't care less about what you can and cannot do in OBS.

The game being optimized or not.

There should be a FPS cap in the settings for any reason you can think of and people wanting to use it.

Its a typical Apex legends weirdo thing that its not.

Same with:

- Can't chose on what hardware to play apex sounds in the settings.

- Can't chose my mic input to use ingame in the apex settings.

- Can't set the button i wan't to finish with.

and other countless things you can think of.

Apex settings options are ancient compared to ancient games...

Message 6 of 21 (965 Views)

★★★ Expert

@DaAceXD wrote:

and other countless things you can think of.

Countless things?  Lets not get hyperbolic.

Message 7 of 21 (945 Views)

★★ Expert

BasketballBasketballBasketball

1. Wait for better optimization

2. Play a different game

3. Stop streaming this game

4. Upgrade your system

5. Watch the NBA finals

6. Completely give up on a game that has been out for x # of "months"

7. Wait over 6 hours for origin to install (This one's taken cause I'm doing that right now)

Heart

Message 8 of 21 (934 Views)

★ Guide

first of all no game designer or dev thinks HEY THIS IS GOING TO BE STREAMED BY THOUSDANDS OF STREAMS LETS IMPLEMENTS OBS NONSENSE!...

secondly if you cant stream apex @900FPS THE BEST FOR A SHOOTER then its YOUR COMPUTER !

considering the 6k cap for affilates and 11.8 k cap for big time partners to be able to hit the clear 1080 mark 900 p is the best for fast paced moving games witha  6 k cap bitrate... 

further more if you CANOT FIGURE OUT how to SET UP YOUR OWN hardware SO IT runs OBS clear @60 FPS thats YOUR OWN FAULT AND NEED TO LEARN MORE!

third .... if you watch apex Cpu usage and dont have that set up correctly and do not have your gpu pritoritsed over your cpu and then try to stream i dont care if it on a rtx2080ti Xe

you need to have some gpu cpu horsepower left over to render frames. I.e 120fps for 60 fps cut it in half is better then 144 going into 60 fps further more you can cap you ingame fps via AMD radeon settings or Nvdia settings and use you GPU to openly cap high end reresh rates.

But you can fix all of this BUY USING BETTER STUFF TO STREAM Standard smile

OBS needs RAW horse power from a CPU when using X264 

OBS needs less CPU Horsepower Vrs NVENC or AMD as you are then using the encoder on your GPU to stream!

OBS & want to stream 300 fps uncapped no stutter no performance hit ....BUILD A STREAM ONLY PC!

to stream and game at the same time YOU MUST COMPROMISE between performance and quality for your viewers! if you cant pull that off ITS YOUR HARDWARE!

Apex is a CPU hungry game A Ryzen 7 1700 8 core 16 thread is a perfect example of a CPU that is able to handle this title and encode 900p With X264 while playing at the same time without a HUGE performance hit while gaming.

My experience... i never ever have a problem streaming apex ... when running only the game i use at most 15 % cpu when streaming X264@900p i see 85-90% and more CPU peaks.

So in the End if you want to do the things you want to do ALL at the same time especially ON THE SAME machine Its going to cost ya some $$$$$

OR.....maybe its APEX's FAULT LOLOL

Message 9 of 21 (925 Views)

★★ Novice

Well... it is apex’s fault, mr whale. Sorry we can’t fork over $3000 for a rig to stream apex at 60fps like you can. I mean...shroud even sets all his settings to low to optimize it properly, but, by all means, please tell me you have a bette setup than shroud!!

Message 10 of 21 (900 Views)