Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Accessibility For The Visually Impaired

by Banfilidh

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Accessibility For The Visually Impaired

★★★★ Novice

Hello I‘m a visually impaired Gamer I lost most of my vision about six years ago it’s still fairly clear but severely tunnelled and it’s hard to track things. Ever since I haven’t been able to enjoy many games besides strategy games I just can’t keep up with the typical player. Your demo last weekend was the first time I felt a glimmer of hope that I could potentially enjoy a game like that in a long time. Your current accessibility options helped greatly but I was curious if it was possible to add in a few more? Such as changing the colour of the reticule, changing the colour and duration of damage floaters but most importantly increasing the size of the waypoint and player icons. I would love to be able to play this game with my friends but I don’t want to slow them down either. The biggest barrier to that is keeping up to them and being able to follow the waypoints. If there were a scale to increase the size of the waypoints drastically it would instantly make this game 10x easier and more enjoyable for me. I know I’m a very very small niche of the gaming market but your game has me really excited about the possibilities and I figured it was worth taking a shot. Thanks and no matter what I still love what you’ve done with the game.

Message 1 of 16 (616 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

Hi @OneEyeGuy16 

First off, can I thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time out to stop by on AHQ & Anthem Community to make such an awesome post.

I’m glad that some of the accessibility options in the recent demo have enabled you to enjoy the game.

I can’t guarantee that the additional suggested changes will be implemented, but what I can guarantee you is the fact that I will pass this feedback on to the team.

Once again thanks for the feedback, and really stoked that you’re enjoying Anthem.

Thanks

EA Ryan

View in thread

Message 5 of 16 (538 Views)

All Replies
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Hey, that’s awesome that you were able to enjoy it. I think you should make this same post over on Reddit. It might draw more direct developer attention there.

if you haven’t seen it yet, there’s a squad UI in the launch version. You can see it if you look at footage from EA Game Changers like Dantics or Arrekz from the last couple of weeks. That might help you track your squad more easily (I know it will for me). You might be able to give them some feedback on that too (e.g. size).

Message 2 of 16 (603 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Thank you for the suggestions it’s been ages since I really used reddit but I’ll try to get it posted over there as well. I’ll definitly check out that footage I’ll take whatever visual advantages I can get.
Message 3 of 16 (590 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

so hope Anthem plays well for you!

Message 4 of 16 (559 Views)

Community Manager

Hi @OneEyeGuy16 

First off, can I thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time out to stop by on AHQ & Anthem Community to make such an awesome post.

I’m glad that some of the accessibility options in the recent demo have enabled you to enjoy the game.

I can’t guarantee that the additional suggested changes will be implemented, but what I can guarantee you is the fact that I will pass this feedback on to the team.

Once again thanks for the feedback, and really stoked that you’re enjoying Anthem.

Thanks

EA Ryan

Message 5 of 16 (539 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@EA_Ryan  Awesome to see you all take these requests seriously, and I really hope the team can improve things so that as many people as possible get to enjoy Anthem.

@OneEyeGuy16So glad this thread got the attention it deserved. I also suffer with vision impairment due to suffering from Type 1 Juvenile diabetes since I was 9 yrs old. and though mine doesn't sound nearly as bad as yours, I certainly feel for you. Hope they are able to add some of the changes requested and if you play on PC look me up when the game goes live, I'd love to Save Grabbits with you!

Message 6 of 16 (527 Views)

★★ Guide
@EA_Ryan before this ends, im wondering how do you cater those people that are mute? a game without text chat would be a bit hard for them, you know i got a mute friend, just wondering.. care to reply
Message 7 of 16 (500 Views)

Community Manager

Hey,

Jumping in here to say a few things on the subject. First of all I'm sorry to hear that this is hindering your gaming experience, I feel as there is nothing worse than to be frustrated at something that is here to help us relax in the first place. I know we aren't quite there in terms of accessibility however we are progressing fast & focusing on this area, for all games not just Anthem. Karen Stevens, our Accessibility Lead has been amazing for us and helped us advance towards more accessible games for all. I encourage you to check her out on twitter and to take a look at our website here to see some of the work she has done so far. 

@OneEyeGuy16  & @Daethena, as called out by @EA_Ryan we will pass this feedback on to our dedicated teams & we do take this requests very seriously. While we are all patiently waiting for our Javelins to land in Fort Tarsis I highly recommend you give Apex Legends a go. It's free to play Battle Royal that I've personally played until my sleeping pattern was changed forever High five but more importantly it has some of the best accessibility features I've ever seen in a game, especially for any visibility impairments. On top of a panoply of options geared towards Accessibility it has subtitles & audio cues to help the player understand what is going on. For instance, the ping system  Apex Legends allows you or your team mates to point out an item, direction, action or even an enemy and these "pings" always have audio cues. 

@Gunny-Grabbit , there has been a lot chatter about this across all platforms, here is a Reddit post that groups up most of that chatter including a comment from our developer himself. The short answer is, text chat will not be in the game at launch. The sheer amount of talk around this means that it is something that we will continue to keep an eye on and hopefully we will be able to make the necessary in-game changes post launch to cater to all our players.

Thanks,

Roger. 

Message 8 of 16 (481 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

@EA_Roger  Thanks for taking the time to reach out and reply, it's always appreciated! Cool

Now about saving Grabbits! Can you look into having the Dev team in Anthem making a NPC Hellbent on Saving our beloved Grabbit population? If so I am sure all of us here at the Save the Grabbits Foundation! will be grateful!

Message 9 of 16 (470 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I do hope they take your suggestions seriously. I too have some minor vision impairment and would love to be able to scale the squad and way-point icons. When you have to look in 360 degrees on 2 axis to find them sometimes it would be nicer if they were able to be made a little larger. Having an option would not affect anyone who did not scale them up.

Message 10 of 16 (463 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help