Re: About Camping

by AWOL_312

Original Post

About Camping

★★★ Expert

Why do you consider camping a no-no? I understand that it involves slow paced playing, but it is a matter of taste, not everyone is addicted to STIM or wants wild west cowboy duels in an open field. How can you tell if someone camped the whole match in a place and not just arrived there like a few seconds before you. Why would you care, when you have Bloodhound's abilities?

Only things I find bad about camping is that it's boring to sit and wait and, when the fight comes to you, you're probably not warmed up like the other team. Otherwise, it can work great for ambushes, holding choke points, third partying, snipers.

When you own a well kitted sniper rifle, it may be best to down the enemy before he realises where you are and runs to cover or pushes you, especially when your second weapon may not be great for close combat. you need to camp for this to happen, to observe the enemy, determine where his mates are and wait for a good moment for landing headshots. On other occasions, baiting can get you the win, as you can encourage the enemy team to push, with the false confidence that they are going against a solo, only to get ambushed by your well positioned (camped) teammates and / or traps. For third partying, you also need to camp, watch you back and observe the fight without being spotted, planning for the right moment. You may not like third partying, but it is part of many real military tactics. Hell, even chess is about third partying the king Standard smile

Note: I am not promoting camping against other ways to play, but trying to point out that it's viable and should not be hated so much. Like many others, i love how fast paced Apex is, but also like how it allows me to switch the pace and try a different approach.

Message 1 of 11 (1,009 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

There's a huge difference between camping and hiding; i do not mind players who camp, especially if they are skilled using the sniper, in that case you will always deserve to die just to see how amazing those kills are.

Different is hide the whole match just to get to the top 5/3, and you can actually see when this happens just looking at the teams still in game during the 4th, 5th circle. This is so annoying! 

Message 2 of 11 (1,000 Views)

Community Manager

@AWOL_312 wrote:

There's a huge difference between camping and hiding; i do not mind players who camp, especially if they are skilled using the sniper, in that case you will always deserve to die just to see how amazing those kills are.

Different is hide the whole match just to get to the top 5/3, and you can actually see when this happens just looking at the teams still in game during the 4th, 5th circle. This is so annoying! 

I have to agree with @AWOL_312 here. There is a difference between someone hiding somewhere not being productive at all to gain placement and someone that knows when to take a breather. I'm a Caustic player myself and if within the ring inside of a building and know there are enemies outside, kicking back with some variables stashed around the place waiting to ambush them is my jam. 

Once they leave, I'll try to follow them from behind (especially if we have a Bloodhound in the squad). 

Blueberry.png
Message 3 of 11 (974 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone else here. There is a MAJOR difference between camping strategically and just playing for placements and hiding out. I understand placement gives the most points for ranked or anything in general for this game (which I think is the worst mistake to put into ranked) I don't mind giving points for placement but I think it needs to even out a little. It's suppose to be a fast paced game. That's how it was advertised so although some people don't want to be rushing around that's just the nature of the game hence all the MOVEMENT abilities. Your suppose to keep moving, keep pushing, keep shooting. Obviously we have our few trap/setup guys but even those abilities can be used better than sitting around unless it's the right time to bunker down.

I however don't mind the occasional "camp" where we know we could get pinched heading a certain direction or we hear gunfire from too many squads over the hill and stuff of that nature. Then it's always a good idea to just kick back loot whatever scraps you find and just hole up until ring movement or next ring. I will never be able to deal with my squadmates that at the first sign of trouble will leave the team MID FIRE FIGHT just to run and hide so they can place. They literally don't EVER want to shoot even while you are already engaged. Past few days this is insanely prevalent and the most irritating part of the game.

Luckily when I go down I can just go make a sandwich and let the idiot who ran just get me free placement points. Real loser is them in the end cause I get a free boost after he didn't want to help in the fight. So I can't complain to much about it =p They are like little point slaves, they do all the boring stuff for you.  

Message 4 of 11 (963 Views)

★★★ Guide

You have to camp to climb ranks if you don't have a premade. The moment my team engages in a fight and it goes south I'm ditching them instantly and trying to survive until top 10/5/3 That is what this game rewards.

There are people much much worse than this playing the game, they will camp from the very beginning of the game and go off solo to hide around the ring, there are people who run off the moment they hear gunshots.. great teammate right? This game is a disaster when it comes to playing as a team.

Message 5 of 11 (951 Views)

★★★ Expert

Hiding just to rank up feels very unrewarding to me. Yes , you get cosmetics and badges, but you miss all the fun of the battle, you don't develop your fighting skills. Once you get to the highest ranks, you will get longer waiting times for matchmaking, only to become an arc star target practice dummy for the apex predators.I pity those that waste so much time and entertainment value just for titles and badges to brag with, but I don't feel affected by them. It's nice to have some easy targets every now and then Standard smile.

On the other hand, I did some hiding as well, especially to get in the last 3-5, but not because of ranking (I play unranked mostly). There are good chances of teams losing one or 2 members for good because of less respawn beacons available and increased ring damage. I prefer to third party the last 2 teams while they're fighting. The element of surprise gives the best chance to win if solo or with only one other teammate. 

Yes, it can be annoying to have teammates that want to go the opposite of your way, but you have to adapt, it's a survival game. It's normal to have good team chemistry only once in a dozen of solo queues. 

Message 6 of 11 (897 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@DoYaSeeMe wrote:

Hiding just to rank up feels very unrewarding to me. Yes , you get cosmetics and badges, but you miss all the fun of the battle, you don't develop your fighting skills. Once you get to the highest ranks, you will get longer waiting times for matchmaking, only to become an arc star target practice dummy for the apex predators.I pity those that waste so much time and entertainment value just for titles and badges to brag with, but I don't feel affected by them. It's nice to have some easy targets every now and then Standard smile.

On the other hand, I did some hiding as well, especially to get in the last 3-5, but not because of ranking (I play unranked mostly). There are good chances of teams losing one or 2 members for good because of less respawn beacons available and increased ring damage. I prefer to third party the last 2 teams while they're fighting. The element of surprise gives the best chance to win if solo or with only one other teammate. 

Yes, it can be annoying to have teammates that want to go the opposite of your way, but you have to adapt, it's a survival game. It's normal to have good team chemistry only once in a dozen of solo queues. 

I'm all for the slowing down and taking stock of a situation. Camping is a strat and I use it myself when needed.

What I don't get, is just hiding for a top finish for ranked. All these players are doing is getting matched with better and better players until they will not have the gun skill to actually play/compete at the higher ranks.

I play strategically when I can, but what I don't want to do, is punch above my weight and then never win a gunfight again lol. I play how I see fit, and let the MMing take care of my "skill" and rank. If I stay in Gold forever so be it. As long as I'm having fun.

I think to many players are hung up on rank, and want to level up at the detriment of gameplay/fun.

Message 7 of 11 (889 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

In the beginning of session-2, people worried about camping(hiding) to level up to predator without killing single person.

Is there anybody ever pull this strategy off ?

I would like to see if it's really a valid strategy in platinum and diamond level

Note:

valid strategy in low level, off course.

Message 8 of 11 (850 Views)

Community Manager

@Silz616 wrote:

I think to many players are hung up on rank, and want to level up at the detriment of gameplay/fun.

This is a great takeaway from this conversation. It's fun to jump into ranked if you're itching for some competitive matches and work your way up leagues to see where your skill belongs, but if it gets to a point where you start to get very frustrated with the game, jump back into some unranked matches for a bit and just have fun. Throw up a Twitch stream of a high level Apex Legends player and study their actions for a few games, trust me, you'll always pick up the "little things" from these streams that you totally overlooked but will make a huge difference in your gameplay.

Blueberry.png
Message 9 of 11 (849 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@asukojoIn xbox oce I've not seen any of the hiding that we had in the Elite Lobbies. The streak badge was 100% the cause of it.

People hide for placement etc when their team mates can't be saved/revived, but it's nothing at all like elite lobbies where every game you'd find at least 1 or 2 teams who had absolutely no intention of ever fighting anyone.

Message 10 of 11 (811 Views)