ADS Sensitivity is not the same on all Guns

★★★ Novice

Product: Apex Legends
Platform:PC
Please specify your platform model. PC
AMD or Nvidia Model Number GTX 1080
Enter RAM memory size in GB 16GB
What is your gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name? OceanSpecimen
Please provide your squad mates' gamertag/PSN ID/EA Account name if possible.
Which Legend were you playing (if applicable)?
Which Legends were your squad mates using (if applicable)?
Where did the issue occur? In a match
Which part of the map or menu were you in? If you don't remember the exact name, please describe the area or what you were trying to do in the menu. Everywhere
What were you doing when the issue occurred? E.g. respawning a squad mate at a beacon, using an ability, a squad mate left the game. Looking around in ADS
Did your squad mates also experience the issue? Yes
How many matches had you played in a row before the issue occurred? 0
When did this happen? (dd.mm.yy hh:mm)
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How severe is your issue? Major impacts to gameplay
What happens when the bug occurs? ADS Sensitivity is not the same on all Guns. I understand they have a differnet FOV. But you need to give us the option to change that. I want the same cm/360 on a Handgun and an Assault Rifle. Give us more sliders or at least let us fix the issue in the config file.
What should be happening instead? ADS should be the same on all Guns, or give us the option to change that.
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Measure how many cm it takes for you to do a 360 with an assault rife. Do the same with a Handgun. The length is different!

Message 1 of 19 (16,060 Views)

Re: ADS Sensitivity is not the same on all Guns

Community Manager

Hey @OceanSpecimen  I moved your post from the bug reports boards over to general discussion as this is more of an opinion on game design mechanics that are open to discussion from the rest in the community. 

Blueberry.png
Message 2 of 19 (16,048 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hey @EA_Blueberry , 

I've been enjoying Apex a ton so far, but I agree with @OceanSpecimen that this should be considered a bug, not an opinion on gameplay mechanics. Based on guns and scopes, ADS sensitivity varies wildly. This makes it very difficult to maintain consistent aim and is probably the most frustrating part about Apex that I've experienced. I play on a low sensitivity as is, so when I get a 2x scope or higher it gets incredibly difficult to aim. I would love the ability to make ADS consistent across all guns, or even better, the ability to simply 1:1 my regular sensitivity to ADS.

I think having the option to have scope-specific sensitivity is fine, as players have different preferences (similar to PUBG) but the word option is key here. To put it simply, it feels like my ability to learn and get better in a mechanical sense (pulling down spray, flicking, tracking, overall aiming) has been largely impeded because there is a lack of consistency between guns and scopes. It has definitely killed my motivation to play and get better at the game because there is no way for me to develop consistently. I have to relearn the muscle memory every time I switch guns or scopes. I've continued to play games like PUBG and CS:GO more where my skills are fully transferable and I can simultaneously improve at other games.

I have several friends who have hesitated to continue playing Apex for these exact reasons, and I imagine people like @OceanSpecimen feel the same way.

I hope that you take the time to read this and pass it along to the gameplay team, and I'd also like you guys to know that despite my few frustrations, you've done a fantastic job on the release of Apex. I would love to see this game stick around and continue to grow, but in order to do that I truly believe that your team should consider these types of changes going forward- especially if you want to appeal to the competitive playerbase of other major FPS titles. 

Thanks for reading, I'll be looking forward to a reply!

Message 3 of 19 (15,219 Views)

★★ Guide
I just left it the way it was, it wasn't so low that I can't turn on people and it isn't so high that it messes up my aim with snipers.
Message 4 of 19 (15,213 Views)

★★★ Novice
This should be considered a bug, why wouldn’t the ads be 1:1? If you want the best experience for all players this needs to be fixed and I think most of the community would agree. Plus having different ads sense as a “game mechanic” makes the game super inconsistent and therefore not as much fun to play. Sounds more like an excuse for poor game design, I’m not trying to be a *, I’m just being blunt, this needs to be fixed please.
Message 5 of 19 (13,310 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Been struggling with this since the game first came out. Thought at first it was inconsistant mouse lag, as the mouse would feel really jagged some rounds. But today I picked up a longbow right after dropping and could not for the life of me hit anything with the ironsights. Tested a few sights and noticed the ADS sens was way off. 
Please fix this. Apex is the first shooter I'm really struggeling with, unless I pick up the same weapon and use the same sight every round.

Edit: Read somewhere that the ADS ratio should be closer to 1.2 in order to keep things consistant, but that does not help with the sights being different as well, adding even more inconsistancy.

Message 6 of 19 (13,273 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Please fix this issue because most competitive games have sensitivity that is 1:1 between zoom sizes and a constant sensitivity is necessary to build muscle memory. If the game is ever to have a pro scene this is 100% needed.

Message 7 of 19 (12,994 Views)

★ Guide

I never took this into consideration until i read this thread and really thought about this and played a couple games to test it out, it always felt something wrong about aiming in Apex Legends and why it's so inconsistent. I can confirm now that ADS sensitivity feels different on multiple guns and FOV is also really bad on some of them, i find myself desperately looking for scopes many times, because i can't see and track my enemies when i shoot them without a scope. Now i finally found out why my aim is so sluggish and inconsistent in Apex but perfectly fine in all the other shooters i play/played even from the start.

Message 8 of 19 (12,983 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

My question would be: is the sensitivity consistent for on-screen travel distance with different FoV's (differen't zoom power scopes). Because that's the important thing to maintain accurate reflexes. It's completely irrelevant to have consistent travel for 360, unless your goal is to aim accurately at targets that are off-screen (but then you mess up consistency for aiming at targets that you actually see; also I don't think anyone goes for 180 shots in ads - you would turn and only then go into ads). So, turning half-screen (aiming at something at the very edge of screen) should be the same regardless of FoV/scope. Is this how it is now (then good)? Or is it completely inconsistent (then terrible)?

P.S. If the game is set up correctly, it should take exactly 2x the distance to turn 360 with a true 2x scope vs a true 1x.

Message 9 of 19 (12,917 Views)

★ Guide

I ADS alot, even mid-close range with AR and SMG's, i always wondered why is it so hard for me to track people with my aim in Apex Legends, compared to other games. I do notice the ADS difference when i empty my primary weapon's magazine and switch to the secondary, that's when i have trouble connecting the shots and i tend to overaim, not being able to finish a near death target. My FOV setting is 100. Mouse DPI is 500 and in-game sensitivity is 1.8. I'm no Shroud or any pro, but i was always good at FPS games because they're my favourite genre, but i feel gunfights in Apex are never in my favor and it feels like almost every player i face has better gun skills than me. I don't believe it, something else might be wrong, it can't be this way, i should have been used to gunfights til now as i played since launch. I'm not throwing myself into gunfights with half HP or anything, not picking fights that i know i am at a disadvantage, like position or equipment/weapon, i always had great situational awareness, but the gunfights in this game feel so sluggish for me, aiming feels sluggish, i never had so much trouble aiming, especially in a FPS game. I'm still trying to find out why and how to improve on it or if it's just something that doesn't tick for me. My hardware is good, no problems on that end at all.

Message 10 of 19 (12,910 Views)