Re: A very simple method to greatly reduce hacking...

by TJ400000

Original Post

A very simple method to greatly reduce hacking...

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

TL;DR - why not toss players who purchase 20 USD or more of microtransactions in to a prime matchmaking que? I haven't spent money on this game yet, and I would do it knowing that Respawn will put me in higher quality games.

Hi guys.

I come from the Starcraft II generation of gamers. Let me preface this post by saying, I never once encountered a hacker from China for Starcraft II. I will now explain how this relates to the global Apex Legends scene.

I haven't touched SC2 since 2016, now the game is free to play, and it is very possible that the hacker numbers have skyrocketed as a result. However, I will outline the fundamentals behind why there were no hackers from China in the game back when I was active from 2011-2016 - and, yes, I played on the China server quite frequently. Please note I am also not stating that hacking didn't exist. The NA  and KR servers were a bit rampant in late 2014 going in to 2015 as well, but nowhere near as bad as Apex Legends in Asia is right now.

1) In China, there was a monthly subscription model (2 USD / month) for Starcraft II until February of 2012. After February of 2012 you could continue to follow a subscription model or you could just purchase a permanent account for 15 USD on the Chinese server.

2) Registering a Chinese battle.net account and topping up on battle.net points was a hassle that involved going through many 3rd party websites. This likely contributed to the barrier of entry for the Chinese market.

3) This is perhaps the most key detail: I never once encountered a hacker from China on the NA / EU / KR / SEA servers specifically due to the price difference between an American Starcraft II account and a Chinese starcraft II account (39.99 vs 15 USD). Key detail II: There were still many Chinese players who purchased accounts for the Korean server (at roughly 39.99 USD) in 2011-2012 so that they could specifically play against / practice against the world's strongest players. Even today you will find Chinese Starcraft II pro gamers playing on the Korean server to stay at the top of their game.

I like the idea of grouping players who pay 20 USD or more in microtransactions in to a prime matchmaking que or grant us a pass to a "prime server". I haven't spent money on this game yet and I would be willing to if it would guarantee me a better matchmaking experience.

Message 1 of 19 (963 Views)

★★★ Guide

Hello @BinGeHD a fellow Chinese player as me,

I do appreciate your serious writing on this matter.

As the 1st replier, I am gonna say,

The problem with is this game is simply too WILD. Zero effort to register. Free download. Then Rock & Roll, Here you go, do whatever you want, sir !

I play Overwatch on Blizzard & Netease's China server. The title used to sell at $39.99, then when I bought it, the price is $29.99, then it became $14.99, and then became even more cheap.

To be able to play Overwatch on China server you'll need a Blizzard's Battle Net Pass, which requires your Chinese ID, your Chinese phone number, your email, and your Alipay account number.

You see you need all 4 items just to play Overwatch.

In fact, I first start to play on Netease's Battlenet for Hearthstone, it is a free game, but you still need all 4 items to register to play.

It is quite rigid, a good system, decent one, with quality feel, not some wild game on Origin that any scum can play.

This Apex is just too wild.

Could anyone tell me what is Respawn and EA thinking ? What do they know and don't know. They know everything right. Maybe they don't know how to make a decent gaming environment.

Message 2 of 19 (926 Views)

★★★ Novice

"Could anyone tell me what is Respawn and EA thinking ? What do they know and don't know. They know everything right. Maybe they don't know how to make a decent gaming environment."

Essentially they are just thinking of the quickest, least hassle method of getting microtransactions out to market. That's it.

P.S. I'm not Chinese.

Message 3 of 19 (923 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'll tell you what they were thinking bro. "This game won't be that popular." Their reasoning for thinking that makes sense because they didn't do a big sales pitch like EA does for other games, maybe EA will start to realize their sales pitch is not what gets gamers into games, if a game looks good enough to try on twitch we will go try it, I came from Overwatch because I wanted a shooter that wasnt revolving around 600 hp monkeys and characters like brig in the game. Apex has a great design its just a flaw in servers, and the way they are updating things. The hackers came due to popularity, a lot of them are hackers trying to make money off selling accounts or people who suck at games and are desperate to look good or ruin your game.

Message 4 of 19 (879 Views)

★★★ Guide

Hello @BinGeHD 

The funny thing is they lost absolutely every customer on their SEA servers, I don't know how many, conservatively speaking say 2,000,000 who could have been those that would like to those microtransactions but didn't due to unplayability.

Message 5 of 19 (838 Views)

★★★ Guide

Yup @dontgrillmeTTV that's another point.

This is a very nicely designed game without much advertisement and old ways of propaganda. I just heard it from a friend who plays Hearthstone and Overwatch with me. Then I tried it and really loved it then I met some hackers, then more and more of them.

Message 6 of 19 (835 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@dontgrillmeTTV 

I agree with you. Looking back some time later definitely it is more and more plausible that Devs were surprised by the success of the game. Other AAA games that included BR mode did not have such success and quickly saw player pool reduce. Looking at what is going on now, it seems, as i believe you implied, that more efforts are put into the game. It just takes time.

As far as cheating goes, it is not only related to people trying to make money off selling accounts, or to look good, it is also related to keeping stream viewers engaged because of the "crazy" on spot aim that kid has matching so close an aimbot, and the outstanding game sense that kid has which is so close to what an ESP can offer. There are good players, but when in a game there are so many outstanding players something does not add up --IMO, I think it is a statistical fact.

Eventually, a mistake is made and then we read and watch videos on Reddit about that "poor soul" who got caught red-handed cheating on Apex while streaming. LOL

Message 7 of 19 (763 Views)

★ Guide

Easyest way is to give Battlepass owners their own cue. Than give Players below Level 50 their own servers. If you do that you will get rid of 80% cheaters in your own games gg

Message 8 of 19 (728 Views)

★★★ Pro
@Warp1O

That is actually an outstanding Idea IMO. It could boost sales of BPs and provide a more "reliable" stream of revenues to fuel game development.
The BP queue would have to include a stricter anti cheat from my perspective.
Then a further layer could be some partnership with a third party for the pro competitive scene.
but it is just my opinion.
Message 9 of 19 (708 Views)

★ Guide

It's not just cheating...

Game just needs a ping limit...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Feedback/Dear-Community-Ea-Respawn/m-p/7957428#M20191

Message 10 of 19 (695 Views)