A few Questions, mostly about Single player

by FoxDie491

Original Post

Accepted Solution

A few Questions, mostly about Single player

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

This is the game I've wanted from EA since the get go. I've been playing XWing Alliance since I was 13 back in Venezuela, and to this date is the only game that have been consistently installed in my PC and the sole reason I own a HOTAS System. I do have a couple of question about it:

- Xwing Alliance have around 66 (pun intended) single player missions. What amount of missions are we looking for the SIngle player campaign here?
- It sound cool that we can play the big MP mode just with bots, is there any more Single player content outside of that + the campaign?
- As a black latino man there's something that bugs me. Is there a particular reason as to why the aestitichal representation of the simbolism for both Empire and Rebellion has been thrown out of the window? (The Empire beign an analogy for Nazi Germany, having mostly white men in their ranks as opposed to the diverse rebellion) Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the Empire's simbolism and historical inspiration? Have they become modern liberal Americans in the short years that passed after the battle of Endor?
- Can we expect a similar game as this based on another era in the future?

Game looks great, already preordered.
Cheers from Mexico, sorry for the bad English.

Message 1 of 6 (806 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: A few Questions, mostly about Single player

★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, it was hard for Thrawn in old Canon and new I believe. As I said near humans had it a little better, but they still faced a lot of discrimination. From what I understood with Dalla, she was in Tarkin's pocket which is how she got where she was.

There were other, what you would call ethnic humans in the empire, Commander Orlok https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Orlok in Star Wars Rebellion I always felt looked almost a mix between Hispanic and Asian.  And there is also Admiral Declan who was before Disney. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nial_Declann
Plus former Captain Panaka of Naboo become an Imperial Moff in the empire before Disney (They kept that Canon too). https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Quarsh_Panaka 

They were there, just due to writing, casting and artist, it wasn't made overly apparent.
I would also suggest just having a read of the Legends article on Speciesism (called "Xenophobia" in Canon) https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Speciesism

View in thread

Message 5 of 6 (674 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice

@FoxDie491 wrote:

- As a black latino man there's something that bugs me. Is there a particular reason as to why the aestitichal representation of the simbolism for both Empire and Rebellion has been thrown out of the window? (The Empire beign an analogy for Nazi Germany, having mostly white men in their ranks as opposed to the diverse rebellion) Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the Empire's simbolism and historical inspiration? Have they become modern liberal Americans in the short years that passed after the battle of Endor?

I'm just going to comment on this part. To speak in canon of the Star Wars Universe. The prejudice that exists in the Empire was not against a human's skin tone (although it doesn't help that all depictions generally don't show anyone of any tone other than white, that's just down to casting, and artists). The prejudice of the Empire was always against non-human species. near humans (Zabraks, Chiss, and so on) got a bit more leeway with the empire but very notably non-humans (Twi'leks, Dougs, Rodians, Uhgnauts...) suffered the worst. Only if you were EXTREMELY skilled or usefull to the Empire did you get any leeway, otherwise you were treated as scum. And that is still very evident in the games where you can customize your character. Imperial customization never includes an alien species, only human.

Message 2 of 6 (780 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Also to add, the empire often (and the first order by extension) often had rules against troopers removing their helmets in certain situations, or even using their names. Basically if you were a Stormtroooper, AT-AT Pilot, or a Fresh new TIE Pilot, you had to earn your individuality within the empire, otherwise you'r name was a serial number, and you had no face when on duty. 

Message 3 of 6 (777 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah, I knew about the custumization of the characters, I'm gonna go Black Male for Rebellion and White male for Empire :P

About your other argumets, are you talking about the new canon I presume? I can't speak for that one, althout I know that Sloane is from the new canon. But in the old Canon the empire was pretty consistent in that regard (even Daala and Thrawn had to do terrible thing to earn respect within the Empire and were constantly discriminated, Thrawn fro being an alien and Daala for beign a woman, in fact she was the first woman to become an officer in the Empire). Besides changing it in the new canon creates tons of problems in contrast with the aesthetics of the films of the OT (which disney gladly haven't "re-educate".... yet), I mean you can see this in IV, V, VI and even Rogue One which made a wonderfull work keeping the hair styles, clothing and ethnic difference between Empire and Rebellion, and every pre-disney piece of content (from video games, comics, to novels). For the First Order it makes more sense since it's 30 years after the Empire and it's an entirely difference organization.

If this is the result of the new canon approach then I guess the problems come from there :/. Guess that's the problem with pointless revisionism to match our current moral standards to older works of art. I mean it's not that I think it will "ruin the game", but it's ceartantly very immersion breaking within the particular time period it's supposed to be representative of.

In any case, thanks for the reply. Cheers from Mexico.

Message 4 of 6 (728 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Yeah, it was hard for Thrawn in old Canon and new I believe. As I said near humans had it a little better, but they still faced a lot of discrimination. From what I understood with Dalla, she was in Tarkin's pocket which is how she got where she was.

There were other, what you would call ethnic humans in the empire, Commander Orlok https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Orlok in Star Wars Rebellion I always felt looked almost a mix between Hispanic and Asian.  And there is also Admiral Declan who was before Disney. https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Nial_Declann
Plus former Captain Panaka of Naboo become an Imperial Moff in the empire before Disney (They kept that Canon too). https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Quarsh_Panaka 

They were there, just due to writing, casting and artist, it wasn't made overly apparent.
I would also suggest just having a read of the Legends article on Speciesism (called "Xenophobia" in Canon) https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Speciesism

Message 5 of 6 (675 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

- Unknown (I think) but unlikely to be that many.

- Idk, I'm hoping for some form of free-play though or mission repeat.

- The Empire doesn't seem to care about most things if you're a human. It's xenophobic to alien species, but generally not racist to humans of different heritages, though I think women have a harder time in the Empire in men (are less common as Stormtroopers anyhow) and I think there's a level of passive homophobia with its family programs with an attitude of "we don't really care so long as it doesn't interfere with what we want". I personally see the Empire not being racist with human skin tones as a positive because it helps them to shake the stereotypical space nazi idea and I think better reflects the Star Wars universe generally because with a galaxy that's hugely diverse and filled with alien species, some of which are very different to humans, I don't see why they would care about human skin tones, personally. Honestly, our universe just sucks generally and I generally take the view of "the bad things people do on Earth probably wouldn't apply to other universes where their cultures have formed differently". But the Empire is still less diverse than the Rebellion, that hasn't changed.

There are definitely examples in canon and legends of the Empire accepting humans with different skin colors and being 100% fine, so including what we would consider racial minorities in the Empire isn't a new thing. Rae Sloane is probably the first example I think about, she's a black woman, a Grand Admiral in the Empire in the Aftermath novels, and should have rightfully been the leader of the First Order if Snoke wasn't a huge * because she's great. Well, as great as a villain can be :P

Message 6 of 6 (528 Views)