Re: A Proposal For Map Rotation

by hayhor

Original Post

A Proposal For Map Rotation

★★★ Expert

I came to the conclusion that the best way to have both Kings Canyon and World's Edge available is for the game to switch the maps every hour, globally. More precisely, each match that starts between hours X:00 and X:59:59 GMT drops players on one map, the next hour on the other, then rinse and repeat Standard smile

Here are some points supporting this idea:

• playerbase is not divided, so queues times are kept short, with bigger pools for SBMM;
  • players get preferred map choice by planning their session;
  • leaving matches early because of wrong map choice is avoided;
  • one hour allows for 4-5 matches on the same map, so momentum is not broken by switching metas too often or randomly;
  • longer sessions are encouraged, some players will spend the extra minutes to get one last match on their preferred map;
  • those looking up to play exclusively on one map may spend the extra time in training, honing their skills;
  • map specific challenges can be added , making the grind a bit longer and more diverse, lengthening the average play session in the process.

If a third map comes to Apex Games, the rotation could be done the same way, maybe switching faster, like every 30-45 minutes, so that the average player gets a good taste of all 3 maps in one session. Another way would be to switch hourly between the new map and one of the older ones, that also get switched on a daily basis. Also, weekends could have some happy hours when maps actually become a user choice, as usually more players join the servers those days.

Biggest problem I see with this idea is Respawn having to babysit more maps at the same time. Balancing, new legends and new items that work on one map can create big problems on the other maps, so there's a lot more work to deal with.

Message 1 of 11 (539 Views)

★ Expert

i support the idea of having at least 2 maps in rotation, but i think you're being too optimistic. Some people who simply don't like one map will not play it and they will have to wait for their preferred one. At some point they will get frustrated and eventually may stop playing the game. Also don't forget that you have to consider commitments irl. Maybe one can only play in the evening after dinner or just in the morning. For example(not really my case):i can play only 2 hours a day, if i only like WE then i will not play the other hour on KC. More than 50% of the playerbase would do this, because they simply don't take the training factor in consideration.  All of this would result in longer queues and more waiting time. Don't get me wrong, having 2 maps would be more enjoyable for sure, but imho like this it's not the best way to do it. 

Message 2 of 11 (529 Views)

Champion
@DoYaSeeMe I believe that is too fast. Daily or weekly is fast enough for me.
Message 3 of 11 (519 Views)

★★★ Expert
@hayhor There might be players that can only play on certain days of the week . Another thing is that a session can be more dynamic if you get to switch maps, you'll stay in the game instead of not running it even if you prefer only one of the maps.

@Cro_Pittt Playing on only one map and not on the other is the same as having map choice, playerbase gets split in both. But I don't get why would KC lovers that currently play WE not play this map anymore and leave the game during those hours when KC is not available.
Message 4 of 11 (505 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe Anything that adds variety as it's currently stale how things are. #BRINGKCBACK
Message 5 of 11 (491 Views)

★★★ Expert

An addition to this proposal would be to have each map in different states, like Kings Canyon (S1 version) the first 30 minutes, followed by the Shadowfall version of Kings Canyon after dark (with candles, without baloons, even with the spooky zombies / spiders coming out of the crates. Then, the initial World's Edge map (no Mirage Voyage) followed by the S4 version of the map (destroyed by the harvester, with more balloons, etc.). This would give a lot of variation for a daily session even if it's just 2 hours. 

Map rotation can open up the opportunity for alternating LTMs, for example A&D during Kings Canyon hours and Capture the Train during World's Edge hours. Even better, the map available in the LTM can be different from the one currently available in the normal mode. This way, it would become possible to play on the same map indefinitely during the LTM.

Message 6 of 11 (421 Views)

★★★ Expert

Haaa, looks like I was right Standard smile

However, I'm a bit tired of Kings Canyon, especially of its night version. KC ranked + WE casual was the best combo in my opinion.

Message 7 of 11 (361 Views)

Champion
@DoYaSeeMe If you predicted it would be awful, yeah you were spot on!
Message 8 of 11 (342 Views)

★★★★★ Expert

Well, we can have two maps to pick :

1. WE

2. KC (rotate between day time and night time)

This way, everybody happy. Almost, some people still don't like KC at night.

Maybe we should get rid of it:

1. WE

2. KC (day time)

They can give it try to see if it will works. I'm fine to wait a little bit (as long it less than 1 minute).

Message 9 of 11 (320 Views)

★★ Expert
@DoYaSeeMe but how could you be tired of
k i n g ' s c a n y o n d a r k

it do be d a r k dough
Message 10 of 11 (294 Views)