Re: A Perspective On The FTP Economy From A Level 100

by Tyresia2

Original Post

A Perspective On The FTP Economy From A Level 100

★★★★ Novice

Hey there everyone.

I recently dinged the big level 100 and I feel it's appropriate, given my experience in the game, to share some perspective on the free to play economy of Apex.

I'd like to start by saying that I legitimately like the game. A lot. Obviously, because I'm level 100, but more so because it is the first legitimately well-made game to surface in a long time. I brushed Apex off at first because AAA games are nothing but an endless conveyor belt of shallow experiences designed to con you into spending money on special editions, DLC, microtransactions, literally anything to get you to pay for a game twice despite the game being mediocre-at-best BECAUSE they chopped it up to sell you the aforementioned garbage. Apex bucked that trend by bringing exceptionally thoughtful design to the table combined with a game that, for the most part, just works. It's not perfect, but it is far better than it has any right to be. 

But...

Simply put, the economy is broken. Like, really bad. And that's a problem for players and for Respawn.

A quick preface. If you're the kind of person who sees Jim Sterling post another video about loot boxes and just rolls your eyes, then you aren't going to like this. If you get angry when people debate the merit of a blind loot box system versus a straight up cosmetics marketplace, then you aren't going to like this. You're going to get two sentences in and make a post about how we should "stop whining and accept loot boxes" because criticizing things you like is hard and it's easier to tell people to be quiet. I can't stop you, so go ahead and do your thing. 

To summarize the economy in Apex: you start off getting free loot boxes every level. After a while, you only get free loot boxes every couple levels, then every five levels or so. At level 100, you stop getting free loot boxes and you can only earn red legends tokens, which at the moment can only be spent on new characters or custom skins provided you already own the base legendary skin. This means that the number of cosmetics you can earn without paying real money is finite. You cannot grind forever to get a skin for your favorite character, at some point you have to pony up cash.

There is nothing wrong with that last part in and of itself. The game is free and it has to make money somehow. The devil is in the loot boxes.

This is where I could do a bunch of math to show you some shocking statistics about how badly you are getting boned by loot boxes, but we all know we are. Loot boxes do nothing but prey on players. It is a decidedly anti-consumer practice that is illegal in multiple countries. I'm not going to waste my time explaining how you have to spend hundreds of dollars to have a reasonable chance of getting the item you want. I don't need to, considering the Reddit post about the guy who spent $500 to get the Wraith heirlooms. That says everything needed about how abusive the system is and how poorly skewed the odds are in the favor of the seller and not the purchaser.

Here's the painful part: I really, really want to buy skins for my favorite guns. I am more than willing to spend money on cosmetics for my favorite characters. I have a desire to give Respawn my money...

... in a fair transaction with reasonable value where I know what I am getting because I am a rational adult who isn't about to be treated like a "whale" playing Candy Crush.

I spent probably $200 over a couple years playing League of Legends. And I don't feel like I was ripped off. Every time I knew exactly what I was getting and I was able to make a conscious choice about what was a good value for my entertainment. $7 to make Urgot look like a crab person? WORTH IT. $5 to make Veigar a leprechaun? ABSOLUTELY, TAKE MY MONEY. $10 to have a 25% chance of getting an item I want, not a specific one just one on my list of maybes? NOPE! $18 for a mediocre skin that only changes appearance and has zero special effects or effort put into it? ABSOLUTELY DOUBLE NOPE. $18 skins in League have all custom voice lines, all custom animations, unique special effects, the list goes on. They earn that price tag. Respawn cannot reasonably expect to present value with a skin that just gives Bloodhound a plague mask, not for $18 at least.

I can't imagine I'm alone. There are plenty of people out there just waiting to throw money at you Respawn, but loot boxes are just straight up cancer. No one want's to feel like they wasted money on nothing and that is exactly what loot boxes are. On top of that, asking $18 for a single legendary skin is just preposterous given the level of quality we are getting in return.

You are actively losing money by keeping the system as is. I get that some bean counter at EA has decided this is the best way, but seriously. Just think about it for a second. You are trading a steady stream of happy customers who got what they wanted at a fair value for preying on the select few players who have a gambling problem and cannot help themselves but spend excess amounts of money vainly chasing the item they want.

You are trading 100 happy customers who all spent $5 for abusing one poor guy who spent $500 and barely got what he wanted.

That's not healthy for the game. It's not good for players, since most of us will never pony up the stupid amounts of money needed for the skins we really want. It's not good for Respawn because you are literally making less money than you could. 

You can have my money when I'm allowed to purchase exactly what I want and you're willing to offer reasonable prices.

tl;dr

Loot boxes are bad.

$18 is comical for a single skin.

You would make more money with a normal storefront instead of the AAA standard loot box slot machine.

Message 1 of 17 (700 Views)

★★ Guide

I dont say you are wrong. And i agree at almost all ponits. 

But as long they only try to sell cosmetic stuff i dont even care about lootboxes. There is no need to have a legendary skin at all. 

May i just ask you a single question ? TmIf they do ut like you suggest ( buying just the stuff you want without gambling ) , could you imagine anyone would buy a .. lets say ... common skin for any caracter ? I guess noone would. So they would mostly have a spesific sale, a legendary skin , and nothing more. 

I bet they would lead into less profit than selling lootboxes. 

Message 2 of 17 (653 Views)

★★★★ Novice
The common skins are just lazy recolors, which have had a place in other FTP marketplaces like League for a while. They just need to be priced accordingly and the one dude who wants a pink caustic will still see value in it.

I would also argue that fewer but higher quality skins is probably always better than loads of garbage skins. It's a two way street, if we imagine a perfect world where EA allowed Respawn to sell skins like a normal store front that implies that actual effort would be put into the skins. It's clear they had a quota of garbage to make just to fluff the number of skins and thereby reduce your chances of getting something good in your loot box and resulting in a "just one more hit" mentality. If we had a proper economy for cosmetics there would naturally be more cool legendary skins and far fewer recolors, with recolors probably being sold as packs to present a better value. Real transactions allow for supply and demand, whereas loot box nonsense actually encourage the opposite; very few things you want compared to mountains of trash to artificially increase the number of loot boxes you need to buy. Why do you think kill counters are individual "cosmetics"?
Message 3 of 17 (650 Views)

★ Guide
90% of the skins are just a different color . good skins will come up maybe during seasons . legendary skins most of them are meh . if u buy 60$ or 99$ coins you simply supporting the game cont develpemnt and that it .
Message 4 of 17 (646 Views)

★★★★ Novice
I know "it's just cosmetic" is a common counter argument brought up whenever loot boxes come under scrutiny, but it's worth reminding that this is utter nonsense. Cosmetics effect your enjoyment of the game. Period. Maybe more so or less so for different people, but at the end of the day it's still part of the game that people enjoy. If it wasn't, they wouldn't be trying to sell them to you, loot boxes or otherwise.

The problem is that it's easy to get "pay to win" caught up in a serious discussion about predatory marketplace tactics because the two have been synonymous in other titles (looking at you Star Wars Battlefield, big surprise, another EA title). Something being purely cosmetic does not change the nature of the marketplace it's sold on. Selling skins in gambling boxes instead of in-game advantages does not change the fact that they are gambling boxes that actively screw over the customer. It only changes the person's motivation for purchasing.

Here's another way to look at it. If I walk into a store to buy a jersey for my favorite sports team I can just buy the jersey. I'm not forced to buy an unmarked box that has a 1 in 5 chance of having the jersey I wanted. Because that would be completely absurd. The "just cosmetic" argument is the same as saying that the jersey loot box is acceptable because it does not give the team an actual advantage. It's purely cosmetic. Obviously the store has to have a monopoly on said jerseys for the analogy to work, but you get the idea.
Message 5 of 17 (643 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

"90% of the skins are just a different color . good skins will come up maybe during seasons . legendary skins most of them are meh . if u buy 60$ or 99$ coins you simply supporting the game cont develpemnt and that it ."

First, most of the character skins are terrible and not worth more than a dollar. The gun skins on the other hand are really cool. I would gladly pay $5 for a sick skin for my favorite gun, if I was allowed to.

Also, do not for a second fool yourself into thinking you are supporting the development of the game. EA is a multi-billion dollar company, not an indie developer slowly piecing together Dwarf Fortress in his garage. Imagine if Mc Donald's started charging money to wrap your burger in a different colored wrapper. You wouldn't say "It's okay that this is an objectively poor value because I'm supporting the development of future burgers". You would ask to actually get something worthwhile for your money, which is the exact point I'm trying to make.

Message 6 of 17 (640 Views)

★★★ Novice

This this and all of this.

Could group reskins into color groups. Buy the pink skin and get it for every weapon ect.

Message 7 of 17 (617 Views)

★★ Guide

Maybe they could sell color palettes like they do in warframe and ink your basic cloth and weaponbodys from that palettes.

Message 8 of 17 (611 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi @DEOVONTAY!

What a brilliant, well constructed post!

The loot box system in games is such a hot topic of debate. I think Apex and the battle royal game mode were specifically designed for the loot box system.

It's essential to have eyes wide open when going into these types of games.

Message 9 of 17 (600 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I couldn't agree more with you. I am a past player of LOL (played from 2009 to 2016), and I also agree that Riot's economy system was the best one I've ever seen. It would be marvelous if Respawn was going to follow Riot's lead, but I expect them to mimic Fortnite's economy. If they do nothing, I do agree that the game won't be able to monetize enough to survive for more than a couple of months - maybe one year.

However, I have a faint hope that they will change things significantly as the season starts. That's what a season is all about, right? I think that they never expected the game to be successful in the first place, so they just put a rip-them-off-as-much-as-we-can-type economy, knowing that the game would have died in 3-6 months. Things proved to be different, and I foresee they will change the entire system ASAP.

Kudos for the great post anyways!

Message 10 of 17 (575 Views)