A Beginner's Guide to the Free-Roam Regions!

by TheSprinter85

Original Post

Accepted Solution

A Beginner's Guide to the Free-Roam Regions!

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hey everyone,

In this guide, I will cover basic things you might like to know about the 4 free-roam regions available in this game. This guide is suited for beginner players or players who are having trouble with specific aspects of their free-roam regions. Each free-roam region have similar activities to achieve and different items to collect, but note that there are some regions that have specific activities to complete. 

A Short Overview of these Regions

In this game, there are a total of 4 free-roam regions, 2 that only the Plant team can access and 2 that only the Zombie team can access. Each region has 3 different areas, which will be marked out on your map, which you will be able to access while in your free-roam region. These areas have different names, depending on which region you are in. Whenever you enter a region, you always start in a certain location, and then you can explore the map from there. There are many different story quests to complete, activities and challenges to do and collectibles to collect.

How to Access these Regions

In Giddy Park, each base (both Plants and Zombies faction) has 2 characters that you can interact with. If you interact with these characters, they will offer you a lift to their respective region. Look and talk to:

• Vivian in the Plant Base to go to Plants Town Center.

Plants Town Center entry.PNG

• Sir Victor Ian in the Plant Base to go to Mount Steep.

Mount Steep entry.jpg

• Dr. Nurse Doctor in the Zombie Base to go to Zombies Town Center.

Zombies Town Center entry.PNG

• Seabasstian in the Zombie Base to go to Weirding Woods. 

Weirding Woods entry.jpg

When you talk to these characters, and they offer to take you to the corresponding region, you are able to check your progress that you currently have on that region before you enter. This may be worth looking at before you enter the region so you have an idea of what you need to complete when you get there, or what you would like to focus on doing.

Choose Your Difficulty

There are 2 difficulties that you are able to pick: Casual and Normal. You pick this after you talk to the respective characters to enter a region, but before you actually enter the region, so look for the difficulty option before you enter the region. There are no differences between Casual and Normal difficulty, in terms of rewards or difficulty, except whenever you are at low health, you take significantly reduced damage. I suggest using Casual if you are a new player or are having trouble with an activity, othewise if you are confident to do so or would prefer a bit more of a challenge, play in Normal difficulty.

What Each Region Wants You to Do

Each region wants you to complete 4 story quests, a boss fight to finish the story mode, collect plenty of collectibles, and wants you to complete some extra activities and side quests as well. There are 50 medals to collect in each region, which involves you completing a wide variety of missions. You cannot fully complete your regions without these medals, so when you want to check how you are performing in your region, check your menu and map while you are in your relevant free-roam region to check your medal and activity progress. 

Purpose of Medals

By earning Medals, you do not earn any direct rewards apart from being able to buy exclusive items in the free-roam region shops. However, you need to collect all 50 that is available in each free-roam region to complete the region fully. As you collect medals, you unlock items from the shop. Some of the items from these shops are vanity and are purely decorative, while others will actually help you to complete your free-roam regions more easily. Completing the main story earlier will help you earn the rest of the medals more easily.

Checking out Medals.PNG

The Map and Other Features

While you are located in a specific free-roam region, you have access to a map of that region is automatically unlocked in your menu, which include where most of the items and characters are located. You can also check your progress of how much of your free-roam regions are complete and see what medals you have collected and which ones you still need in the menu, along with your overall medal collection progress. If you want to check your progress in your menu, enter the menu in your respective region and navigate to the section that displays "Town Center", "Mount Steep" or "Weirding Woods", depending on which region you are in to check this information. More places and items will be shown on the map as you progress through your free-roam regions.

Marking Stuff on the Map

If you are trying to look for a character or item on the map, you can pin locations on the map by pressing the same button you would use to jump on your version of the game, to mark that location of the character or item. If you pin something, a compass will appear on the top of your screen. Use your compass that appears to find the location of the item and follow the direction that it is pointing in. The number indicates the distance you need to travel, while the pointer indicates the correct direction you need to travel in. This can make it much easier to find characters or items on the map, so if you are having trouble finding something, look for it on the map and pin it. 

Map Pinning.PNG

The Shop

There is a shop located in each free-roam region. A character named Sergeant Peel (Plants Town Center and Mount Steep) or Otto Do (Zombies Town Center and Weirding Woods). These characters sell special items that help you along your journey. You will unlock more items as you obtain more Medals, for instance, Chests and Golden Gnomes (types of collectibles available in each region) do not show up on the map normally, however you can buy maps from these characters so that you are able to see these items on the map for each seperate area in each region. Normally, these shops are actually located quite close to where you first appear in your region, but that is not always the case. If you are not able to find the location of the shop in a region, check the map and look for the appropriate character's name, depending on what region you are in.

Conclusion

Completing your free-roam regions are definitely worth the investment when you have the time to or if you ever feel like doing something else in the game as they can be a lot of fun to complete. However, these regions are permanently available, so there is no rush to complete them. For specific activities and collectible quests, I suggest you first consider your character choice and upgrades you use, especially Levelling Up, before you attempt to start the activity or collect the collectible, to either make it easier for you or to give that character bonus free XP. Some items you collect give very significant XP and you are not able to recollect these specific items once collected, so definetly consider which character or characters you want to give this XP to!

If you would like more assistance with your free-roam regions, check out this thread that I made here: 

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion/Guides-Tips-and-Tricks-for-Plants-vs-Zombies-Battle-for....

This thread provides links to many guides that I have made on free-roam content, as well as other content for this game, so if you need help with specific activities, simply find the activities or aspects of the game that you need help with and check out the respective guides! Have fun!

Good luck with completing your regions and have fun!

From

@TheSprinter85 

Message 1 of 3 (1,305 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: A Beginner's Guide to the Free-Roam Regions!

★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 Awesome guide as always. Thanks for making these Standard smile.
I'm really looking forward to some of the other guides you want to make!
I've only completed one region so far and thought of revisiting the others, so your guides will definitely help me!

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (1,249 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Expert
@TheSprinter85 Awesome guide as always. Thanks for making these Standard smile.
I'm really looking forward to some of the other guides you want to make!
I've only completed one region so far and thought of revisiting the others, so your guides will definitely help me!
Message 2 of 3 (1,250 Views)

Champion
@benn1nat0r You’re absolutely welcome! I cannot thank you enough for your awesome feedback and I hope some of my other guides will help you. Same goes for the others on the forum.
Message 3 of 3 (1,241 Views)