A Beginner's Guide to Character Upgrades and the Upgrade System!

by TheSprinter85

Original Post

Accepted Solution

A Beginner's Guide to Character Upgrades and the Upgrade System!

[ Edited ]
Champion

Hiya everyone,

Let me start by saying that this guide is more intended for beginner players or even those players how have not played this game yet (but most likely have played at least one of the first two GW games). This guide will cover the Upgrade System and give a brief overview on how it works.

THE UPGRADE SYSTEM

What are Upgrades?

Upgrades are perks that you can equip to your character, in order to make them more powerful. You may equip upgrades as you wish, if you have unlocked them and you wish to use them, however, you also need to make sure that you have enough upgrade points in order to successfully equip it. For all upgrades, you may equip and unequip them at any time, while in the character select screen. All upgrades are either unlocked at the start, or you need to level up a character to a specific level up to Master, because as you go, you will unlock more upgrades that you do not start with, but are unique to each character. Basic (upgrades that all characters get and start with) and class-specific upgrades (upgrades that are exclusive to each class, such as Attack, Defend and Support), are unlocked at the start, while character-unique upgrades mean that an upgrade only is available for a particular character, which you do not unlock from the start, rather, you need to level up your characters and promote them first. Some of the character-unique upgrades boost abilities specifically and others benefit the character all round. Unless you have upgrades equipped that only specifically boost abilities, these perks will benefit you at any time (or under certain conditions), most likely even if your abilities are negated. Level up your characters enough to unlock all of the upgrades for that character. Legendary Upgrades are special and can be earned in some Prize Maps, or if you missed them, bought from Rux. They all cost 300 Rainbow Stars (not in Nintendo Switch, they cost Coins instead) and all take 5 points to equip, and they change the character's playstyle quite dramatically if equipped. 

What is the Upgrade System?

The Upgrade System is how you give your character upgrades. You can access it in the character menu, where you would normally choose your character. One of the options are "upgrades", where you can select which upgrades you place on your character. You will have a variety of upgrades to choose from, so decide wisely, but it is your choice. The upgrades on the upgrade system are shown in order of the point value cost, from least to most, making it easier to find which ones you want to equip and how much they cost.

Upgrade System.PNG

Upgrade Points

Something you need to consider when equipping upgrades to your character is Upgrade Points. You can only have up to 7 points worth of upgrades on any given character. Some upgrades are worth more points than others. If an upgrade costs 1 point, you may equip it and have 6 left. If an upgrade costs 5 points, you may equip it and have 2 left. Note that you may have any amount of upgrades equipped at once, as long as the point total of your upgrades are 7 or less. Otherwise, you will be unable to do so.

Upgrade Points.PNG

Class Builds

Each character has 3 Class Builds. This means that you can have the same character, but with a different set of upgrades and Customisations equipped. It does not affect your character's level, it stays the same across all the builds. These builds allow you to have different sets of upgrades and Customisations equipped for different situations, perhaps you could have a build for PvP and PvE.

Class Builds.PNG

Customisations

Customisations are vanity gear that makes your character look different, however it does not provide any sort of competitive advantage. There are lots to choose from as you unlock more, so I suggest taking the time at some point to change the look of your character. It can be quite fun to experiment. There are costume sections and sets that you can experiment with. Some sets have a matching costume and some do not. Experiment with what Customisations you like if you wish to.

Costumes.PNG

CONCLUSION

This guide aimed to help get a grip of how the Upgrade System works, so if did help you, awesome. You can use this at any time in the future, just remember to consider what upgrades you equip, and have fun with the costumes. Thank you for your time!

Bye from @TheSprinter85 !

Message 1 of 6 (1,308 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: A Beginner's Guide to Character Upgrades and the Upgrade System!

★ Guide
@TheSprinter85 pretty good guide for the newer player's to BFN
you could have mention the legendary upgrade but i suppose there self explanatory

View in thread

Message 2 of 6 (1,253 Views)

All Replies

★ Guide
@TheSprinter85 pretty good guide for the newer player's to BFN
you could have mention the legendary upgrade but i suppose there self explanatory
Message 2 of 6 (1,254 Views)

Champion

Hey @AngryFreak2, thanks for your feedback! Standard smile

I have made full guides on Legendary Upgrades, so I feel that I should not have to mention them again, but perhaps I could provide my links to my Legendary Upgrade guides.

Message 3 of 6 (1,243 Views)

★ Pro
@TheSprinter85 Once again another useful guide to new players!

Tips from me: Two builds should be dedicated to PvP (Turf Takeover, Team Vanquish) and PvE (Ops and free-roam regions) with the last one being whatever you want it. Also, some cosmetics make you harder to see; consider using Imp, Acorn, or Nightcap with green or without cosmetics to be harder to see.
Message 4 of 6 (1,220 Views)

Champion
@Fork_x_Spoon Thanks for your tips! I never considered that some cosmetics make you harder to detect. It would be funny if I could make one of my character blend in with a wall or something.
Message 5 of 6 (1,204 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Fork_x_Spoon I can confirm the cosmetics part. I am colorblind (I can see color, but have problems with red/green and brown tones). This makes it even harder to differentiate some characters from the background. I know the game has some color blind modes, but they just make everything else look weirder to me.
Message 6 of 6 (1,195 Views)