80s Action Hero issues

by Ditronus

Original Post

80s Action Hero issues

★★★★★ Novice

How do you get this guy to perform? He feels clunky to use, and his primary feels extremely weak and inaccurate when not charging it up.

I like the theme, but his loadout does not reflect the 80s action era; he needs an m60, not a charge-up bow. It seems they were going for this Rambo first blood macgyver mix, but it doesn't translate into fun gameplay for me, especially when they changed snipers into charge up gameplay, too.

If they wanted a bow primary, it wouldve been nice to have it work like the gw1/2 cactus did: strong, single-shot projectiles. Having his entire kit only be effective at close to medium range doesn't fit a primary that has to be charged up while getting shot in the face. Then, they could have a low CD m60 timer called "mow down" (plant pun and machine gun reference) that would be good for close range aoe spray.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 7 (726 Views)

Re: 80s Action Hero issues

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

I personally enjoy 80's Action Hero because I think I found where he shines best: Groups of plants.

Think about it. He can shoot 5 shots, 3 or 1, depending on the size of the group. He can run in there and Dynamite Dodge back out in any direction. His Rocket Ride is literally PERFECT for congregations of carnations. His Can't Miss-ile I almost never use, so I can't vouch for that.

He's not amazing on his own. But, with TWO Action Heroes, or any other zombie alongside him, he does his best, I find.

Message 2 of 7 (710 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@DitronusI agree that he doesn't feel very 80's-y but I don't have any issues with his design myself. He's definitely designed to poke from range and mess with groups of plants if he can get close.

Message 3 of 7 (700 Views)

★★★★ Guide

80s is supposed to perform best at mid range, where rocket ride hits easily and missiles can hit easily. His strategy is to hit many shots with his primary and fire missiles as well as fire powerful shots from his full powered blast. He also performs best when there’re no barricades to block missiles and rocket ride. Another disadvantage is citrons, who’s bulk and shield can handle his abilities as well as em peach and easily take him down quickly. Basically, he’s very offensive at mid range as well as not performing good with barricades.

Hope this helps Standard smile

Message 4 of 7 (476 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@DitronusHe is an offensive sniper, so he is going to be weaker at close range, but strong at mid range. Despite being more effective at close to mid range, it does work. The bow doing most of it's damage with charge shots is what helps 80's fit that offensive sniper design. Dynamite dodge is used for close range defense. Rocket Ride is good against single and multiple targets, and making more offensive plays. Can't Missile is very good for focusing single targets.
It would be cool to see 80's get different weapon variants someday.

Message 5 of 7 (454 Views)

★★ Pro
@Ditronus I really think he should be nerfed, but fixed at the same time. While he has bugs and other things, he is a broken character. In good hands, I think 80s is the best character in the game right now.

With the right upgrades, it's almost impossible to deal with a good 80s player, he controls any distance with his bow, his abilities are overall insanely broken, he has an small hurtbox with 150 hp. My friend dropped an 87 bomb with this character.
Message 6 of 7 (420 Views)

★★★ Guide

Clunky hmm. It's a matter of adjusting to his charge. Imo, 80s is the most versatile and strongest character in the game. Good HP, decent movement speed and high damage. In the hands of a skilled player, this character can easily destroy multiple plants in a couple of shots WITHOUT the rocket ride ability.

If you can master the timing of the  primary charge weapon, you can destroy enemies with ease. A full shot does 99 damage I believe (don't quote me on that). A 2-second charge can deal 54 damage (pretty much enough to 2-shot every 125hp plant). A quick 1-second charge can deal somewhere between 5-16 damage. THIS is the clunky part. Sometimes it's low and sometimes it's high. It takes a lot of practice to time this, but once you have it's the most fun character. I barely use rocket ride or cant-missiles. Furthermore, in Turf Takeover no one is full hp most of the times, so it's pretty much 1-shot after 1-shot IF you have the right aim ofcourse.

Also, the sniper class is definitely useless if you're skilled with the 80s zombie. There is no bullet drop of so this character can easily outsnipe Cactus and Deadbeards.

Since the release, the 80s and Nightcap are my favourite characters and definitely my go-to options if I have to hard carry a game or when I 1v1 other high-ranked players.

If you want more info or tips, let me know!

Message 7 of 7 (400 Views)