Re: 7.1 Surround Sound

by AzGoshawk

Original Post

7.1 Surround Sound

★ Novice

I am going to get a headset for gameplay. Have been using the ear piece that came with the ps4 and really want to upgrade cause I actually got into it more than expected. I am planning on getting the ps4 gold wireless or the turtle beach stealth 600's that support 7.1 virtual surround sound and those I can justify the price for. Does Apex support this feature?

Message 1 of 8 (7,449 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Dholmes1985 I haven’t seen the features they support, but it is surround sound but I think (virtual) 5.1 at most cause people have stated not hearing people properly at elevations or below them with 7.1.

If they fix their audio and support Dolby Atmos for instance, it’ll be big news
Message 2 of 8 (7,426 Views)

★ Novice

So surround sound covers you 360° on a flat plain and virtual covers above and below as well? But right now they do not support virtual?

Message 3 of 8 (7,415 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@Dholmes1985 No virtual surround sound is... hmmm how to explain this.

Okay all headsets are just stereo, because they have 2 ‘outputs’, the left and right earcup with a sort of build in bass. This is a 2.1 setup like you would get for the old time speakers for your tv or pc.

But due to games, movies and other digital entertainment never being on a flat surface on just two sides virtual surround sound was presented for 4.1, 5.1. So these two setups are implemented in most headsets. They simulate 2 speakers in front of you on the left and right and two in the back at same position, with a bass (4.1) and 5.1 more uncommonly is supposed to simulate a speaker right in front of you as well.

Okay so now comes modern games which have elevated things that you want to hear. 4.1/5.1 can simulate elevated sounds but it’s dependent on the mixer being applied how it’ll be heard. Mostly it sounds faded. This is where 7.1 or 9.1 come in. 7.1 is basically 2 speakers above you to let aerial sound come through with greater clarity than a virtual 5.1 which would try to do the same. It’s not yet 360 degrees all around but it comes close.

To answer your question, 4.1 IS supposed to cover you 360 degrees on flat surface, but it all depends on your headset and the audio output (game, movie, show, tv whatever) how well this gets executed.

Apex does do (virtual surround) but likely not with 7.1.

Hope that answers your question
Message 4 of 8 (7,409 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Dholmes1985

A 7.1 virtual surround sound works with stereo configuration and games don't have any specific 7.1 VIRTUAL surround sound configuration.

There are some REAL 5.1 surround sound headsets and many games supports that sound configuration. Normaly, these headsets are more expensive but offers a good perception on FPS games (if well implemented in game, ofc). Many don't come with sound card, so you may need one with real 5.1, if your motherboard don't have it.

If you play lots of FPS games, I would recomend a good REAL 5.1 surround sound headset because it gives you a more accurate perception where sound comes, helping to identify incoming threats.

Message 5 of 8 (7,369 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@AzGoshawk Why don’t you advice him to buy actual headphones instead of headsets.

I can’t think of any ‘real’ 5.1 headsets, tho I can headphones and too bad they are all pc based (when speaking about really good headsets).

Headphones offer bigger soundscape and clarity than headsets, tho you give up the ease of communicating/RGB light and all those other great gaming amenities (totally sarcastic here :P)
Message 6 of 8 (7,351 Views)

★ Guide
@Koochi-Q
Some say headset when it includes microphone, others say headphones. Just choose your side.

For long time I played with a Roccat Kave 5.1 surround headset (real surround, not virtual). Now, Roccat don't sell it anymore (it needed a good sound card with 4 connections).

Virtual surround is different from DTS/Dolby Surround. The sound process is completely different.

https://www.howtogeek.com/295722/whats-the-difference-between-virtual-and-true-surround-sound-gaming...
That article may help you to know that TRUE (or REAL) 5.1 surround headsets exists, but like you said mostly for PC.

About RGB lights, some likes it, some don't and some don't care.

If the headset is mostly for FPS gaming, then a REAL, or TRUE, 5.1 surround headset is better than VIRTUAL surround. If is for listening music, a good stereo headphone is better, but remember, also requires a good sound card.
Message 7 of 8 (7,326 Views)

★★★★★ Expert
@AzGoshawk Yea I’m in the camp if it’s not primarily for listening (to music) it’s a headset, otherwise it’s a headphone. Cause most headphones have an inline mic as well, yet I don’t call them headsets.

I’ve heard of the Roccat before, but yea like you said, you need a good sound card for headsets pike that. A good dedicated one which cuts most ambient noise and preferably a DAC as well.

Yea, I know about the sound processes, but I just mentioned them in one breath to make the post more legible :P

true 5.1 is always better since the drivers take care of everything instead of the logic of the headset that has to decode everything for coming it’s way and has to simulate it. But yea, mostly PC. The sound cards on consoles are average, hope new consoles put a bigger emphasis on it tho.

But in apex I can actually hear how low on the priority list audio is. Usually when playing FPS or audio heavy games I use one of my ear/headphones and the soundscape is entirely different than my Turtlebeach Elite Pro 2 headset for talking. In Apex tho, my higher quality ear/headphones sound more distorted than in other games and the ‘presence’ just feels weird. The TB headset comes with an amp where I can put my audio equip in so I don’t have to listen to the crackling of my controller but even then it just feels weird...
Message 8 of 8 (7,312 Views)